C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1999 C230 Kompressor, central locking mechanism stuck!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 c230 kompressor
Unhappy 1999 C230 Kompressor, central locking mechanism stuck!

Hey guys & gals, I need help. I have a beautiful 1999 C230 Kompressor, whose central locking mechanism is non responsive. I thought it might be the fuse, but after checking all my fuses, I replaced one blown out fuse (don't know what it was for) while all the rest seemed fine. My fuses seem to check out. Has anyone had this problem before? Everything else works with the remote: windows and alarm. right now, I'm using my remote to roll down the windows to unlock my car, and rolling them back up after I manually lock it. I need to know what the fuse diagram looks like. There is none I can find. I want to be sure I know what I'm looking at in the fuse box, and if it is not the fuses, whats next after that. As a result I cannot put in gas, because that's locked too. I followed the diagram in the manual to manually unlock it, but I can't find the unlocking mechanism. My manual is the same for models C280 & C43 AMG. I hope someone out there could help. We're all Benz lovers, so please show me some love!

Christian
Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Do the back headrests release when you press the dash button? If not, it sounds like you have a failure in the vacuum system. It could be a disconnected tube, a split tube or a vacuum motor/control that has gone bad. Search the various w202 forums on the net for vacuum issues and get up to speed on what has already been written and then start doing some investigating and then come back to us with your results.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 AM

1999 c230 kompressor
Smile Thanks...

You were right. I tried the release button for the rear head rest, and the button feels like there's no pressure, just like the lock botton on the dash. I will look into what I can do. If anyone has any inside info on this, let me know. Thanks to all.

Chris
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM

W202 C280 94
I just sorted a 96 C200, same symptoms, caused when owners friend offered to help with a sticking bonnet release cable, he snapped a vacuum line at the Vacuum dist block, this burnt out the Motor driving the vacuum pump in the PSE(pneumatic services equipment) control module supplying Vac to central locking and boosting the ac/heater controls etc.
Normally motor only runs when more vacuum that motor supplies is required, if theres a leak it runs full time to maintain vacuum level.
put your head inside the trunk and hit your unlock button on your remote(or key in trunk lock if no remote), you should hear the motor driving the pump, if not, listening carefully, push button again and you may hear a faint click of the relay trying to start the motor, if you hear the relay click and no motor noise, replace or rebuild the PSE,
I rebuilt their module.

Last edited by MrSmith@kol; 07-14-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM

1994 C220
I had similar issue before and turns out I had a leak that my central lock vacuum blown off. I had mine rebuild and everythings works fine now. At first I heard this hissing sound coming from the back of my trunk.. It was the central lock vacuum making this noise. I didn't know what it was before so I ignored it and because of that, the motor went bad. Spent few $$ for the damn thing to start working again.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM

1999 c230 kompressor
Smile Thanks to all!!!

Thanks guys. I had a mechanic friend of mine check it out. And it is the vacuum pump in my trunk. Thing is that my motor is running now, but stops periodically. At imes it works, and other times it doesn't. Will have to look into getting it rebuilt, like RFOO said. Thanks to all and i'm glad I posted this. seems like this problem I couldn't find addressed on this forum, and now people have this thread to refer to. Thanks to MrSmith & XVVVZ for their insight. it all helped.