C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Routine maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benzo
Exclamation Routine maintenance ?

Hi all,

Nothing has gone wrong on my 98 C230 yet, but I feel like I should be doing some routine/preventative maintenance on it (especially the parts that i've read on here that are prone to failure)....

So far i'm going to order (taken from http://www.autohausaz.com)

1) Thermostat (part #1112000915)
2) Air mass sensor (maf?) (part #0280217114)
3) Crankshaft Position Sensor (cps?) (part # 0281002123)

Are these the correct parts that I should be ordering? Is there anything else I should order?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
Hell yea you betta Grease all the Bearing in the axels change the diff oil flush the tranny and grease everything you can find...or pry too....Listen TO me Flush all the fluids **** gets expensive and **** the man who ever said if it aint broke dont fix it hes full of ****..maintainence is key to survival and man dont survive unless hes ready for disaster. Keep that 202 mint

Lata
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 PM

97 C28
hold up on the maf get the cleaner and clean it for a while first y0 get some maf cleaner at autozone
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM

300E 3.2
I don't understand how half of $tallion's posts are jibberish, and the other half normal?

Thermostat is a good item to replace when flusing the coolant, you could also upgrade to the 79 degree version if you wanted to.

Obviously if you don't have service records it is a important to start with a good maintenance overhaul, but I wouldn't necessarily go overboard. The checklist for the B service is a good reference to start with. If you aren't experiencing problems, then I would save the hundreds you'll spend on the maf & cps towards future repairs.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Benzo
Originally Posted by PhilfromPA
I don't understand how half of $tallion's posts are jibberish, and the other half normal?

Thermostat is a good item to replace when flusing the coolant, you could also upgrade to the 79 degree version if you wanted to.

Obviously if you don't have service records it is a important to start with a good maintenance overhaul, but I wouldn't necessarily go overboard. The checklist for the B service is a good reference to start with. If you aren't experiencing problems, then I would save the hundreds you'll spend on the maf & cps towards future repairs.
Thanks for the insight..I kind of wanted to order the parts just because i'm from Canada, but often in the US and ordering them online at http://www.autohausaz.com is much cheaper vs buying them in Canada....

and the only major issue i've had besides a fluctuating temp gauge (which i'm told is normal in a Benz) is this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ing-issue.html

still think I should forget buying the parts?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 PM

C230K
How many miles are on your car? Those items you quote are common failure items as cars age but some cars go a long time before those parts need replacing. The thermostat is probably a good call for sure. The others may be a bit overkill considering the costs. CPS would be a piece of mind I guess. The tensioner and pulley are other common problem items over time. I would get a serpentine belt, transmission fluid+filter+gasket set, air filter, cabin filter, oil filter, bottle of power steering fluid to change all of those if nothing has been done for a long time. Get the charcoal impregnated cabin filter.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:56 PM

Benzo
Originally Posted by xvvvz
How many miles are on your car? Those items you quote are common failure items as cars age but some cars go a long time before those parts need replacing. The thermostat is probably a good call for sure. The others may be a bit overkill considering the costs. CPS would be a piece of mind I guess. The tensioner and pulley are other common problem items over time. I would get a serpentine belt, transmission fluid+filter+gasket set, air filter, cabin filter, oil filter, bottle of power steering fluid to change all of those if nothing has been done for a long time. Get the charcoal impregnated cabin filter.
Hey, thanks for the reply - My car has about 95,000 kms (59,000 miles)

I guess i'll definitely order the CPS and Thermostat - are the parts I listed in my first post the right ones?

Thanks for the other tips, I will also keep those in mind.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM

97 C28
Most of my post I either made while I was really Blazed sorry for the jibberish...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 AM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by $tallion
Hell yea you betta Grease all the Bearing in the axels change the diff oil flush the tranny and grease everything you can find...or pry too....Listen TO me Flush all the fluids **** gets expensive and **** the man who ever said if it aint broke dont fix it hes full of ****..maintainence is key to survival and man dont survive unless hes ready for disaster. Keep that 202 mint

Lata
+1 You need to flush/replace ALL the fluids especially the transmission. Mine performed better after a transmission flush.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM

97 C28
hey how many gallons of antifreeze do I need to buy and is prestone dex cool the right one..