C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

DIY Oil Change - important to note

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C280
DIY Oil Change - important to note

I have been having a problem for about six months. Oil had been leaking, and I wasn't certain of where it was coming from. I later found out that it was leaking from between the oil filter housing and the metal place it inserts into.

I tried four different large gasket (the largest one that comes with the oil filter kit), but they would always "squeeze" out from in between the plastic housing and the metal filter housing.

I finally found out today that I was putting it in the wrong place!! I went to a forum and found that the particular o-ring had been in place for who knows how long, but I didn't see it since it's black in color, and near the top of the oil filter housing. In any case, I came across a forum where a guy explained it.

A very frustrating oil leak problem, now fixed.

And, a link to the place where I found the info: http://mercedesforum.com/forum/archi...p/t-25421.html

Just couldn't believe how rarely it's mentioned online - thought I would post this to anyone else having a similar problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Interesting find...

I changed the oil on my C230 just recently was a bit puzzled about the o-ring that came with the filter. I put it on the cap and screwed it on, but had the same results as has been noted here: it squeezed partially out between the cap and the housing.

Hence, I left it off as there wasn't anything to begin with. At least not on there where I put it. Didn't actually examine the cap more thoroughly, though. No oil leaks, though, so who knows...?

Maybe I'll pull the cap again just to see what the explanation is all about. Just in case...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 c230 Kompressor
I'm about to do an oil change, the first I've done myself for this car, so this is very useful info. I read at BenzWorld someone mentioned using a pick to pull the old o-ring out, now that makes much more sense!