C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Alignment!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203X2 w201X3 W208 W129
Alignment!

Hey all, I have a 1998 c230 with 101k that pulls to the right and wears my front tires, I have access to 2 alignment racks. I tried to use the newer of the two and it called for special tools(A bar to push on the inside of the front wheels and, A box that would be hooked up to specified point under the vehicle to give desired measurements) I have neither tool so I took it to a dealer to have it done. N

Not only did they want $189 for it they screwed me. I set up an appointment at Feldmann Mercedes in Bloomington Minnesota, When I got there all 3 of their alignment techs had left! I was very angry and thought of my other options.

I thought of "tricking" the older machine, perhaps looking up the specifications and just hooking up the wheel sensors to see where the toe/camber/caster are and adjusting to within spec? I know I need the bar to push the front wheels apart but I was told I could just have someone stand there and push them apart with their hands.

Any suggestions?

I want the alignment done so I can throw on some new tires my fronts are bald.

-Brian
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 C280 94
Hi, I had a similar issue with my C280, I was told by a suspension tech that the local MB dealer used to bring that spreader with the car for Alignments and take it away later.
I asked several Wheel align Techs and they all said its not needed.
Ask members of your local MB club who they recommend and go with that.
I have just replaced my Lower Control Arm bushes, suggest you check them for splits etc before your alignment, they like wearing out. Now has that tight feel it had at 60,000km (steering wheel steady over bumps and no Vibration over 90km/h.