C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Gear probs C220 desperately need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c220 cdi
Gear probs C220 desperately need advice

I have a C220 cdi in auto (tiptronic). It has recently started having probs going into gear, fine at 30mph (in drive) but anything over that results in loud noise and sluggishness and there's no way it will go over 45mph. Local mechanic said the gear box needed replacing which i naively did but problem has persisted. Sometimes when engine has been switched off and back on again it is fine but more often than not it has the same prob. Does anyone have any advice as to what the problem could be?? Any advice much appreciated....
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 c230 Kompressor
Yeah, have the vacuum systems checked out. They control quite a bit of the car. Second, how's the air intake filter for your engine? IF that's dirty, your engine will be starving for air and not allowing much performance.

But actually, sounds like maybe you engine is not getting enough fuel or even fuel in the right ratios. Perhaps you have a fuel pump which cannot keep up with the demand for fuel at higher speeds and as a result, your car cannot drive fast.

When something like that happened to me, it think some oil was getting into a filter and robbing the car of the air it needed.

I don't know. Hope this all makes sense.