C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

finally finished my cold intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 c43 amg opal black
finally finished my cold intake

these are some pictures of the completed cold intake. as of now i haven't seen any like this as i think i m the only one who has one exactly like this. i did the right side about three years ago and the person who did it went out of business. so i finally found another to finish the left side . have had no issues with it. total investment is a little over $500 with labor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_GqYDcNUI

Last edited by Logic; 04-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM

2000 C230 2.3L Kompressor
Dude man I have been wanting to get a cold air intake for some time and every time I look at my air box I get pissed! From looking at your picture I see that left side (where the air box used to be) you have a standard short ram intake pipe, but what I question is the attachment. Is that the "cold air system" and how is that hooked up?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 AM

1998 c43 amg opal black
well , where do i start? when i had this done i did alot of research of cold air on different cars. true cold air is usually done by taking a filter and taking it out of the engine compartment, also doing this putting it where it avoids water etc. i have seen some done in other mercedes but they throw the filter inside the engine where it just sucks hot air. i also see some that had it routed to the bumper where our cars have a small hole in it allowing air to come into. this is cold air coming into the car, knowing this i put a aem bypass valve on to help avoid this issue of water coming into the hole. the other thing i have seen was when others had made this they put another filter on the bypass valve blowing into atmosphere but i fould that to be a little loud. so when i decided to do mine i had the bypass put on the intake kinda like the factory air box did plus they would help with emissions. so basically the 3 inch stainless tube goes into the bumper . i added a small piece of silicon coupler where it goes into the bumper so it wouldn't rattle where it poked threw since it was metal on metal. i used a k&n filter . even tho this is a oiled filter i thought it would help with any water issues . but they sell a cover for round filters know that wrap it and resist water. havent tried this but it looks restictive. ok to your question ... what attachment are you talking about? there is a link to youtube to show the intake , if i recall they are a couple of video of this.... the left side was welded to make the curve as the right side a mandrel bender was used and might be cheaper to do it that way. if you like i can post more pictures but again you tube has several videos of this ... just type custom cold intake w202
Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 AM

1998 c43 amg opal black

here are some other angles of the left side or right side of car where the air box was...
also i have upgraded the left side with t bolt clamps and took off the hose style clamps for a air tight fit
one other thing i considered doing was a maf relocation . when doing this as i heard this helps 1999 and 2000 w202 cars with a issue of a turbulance at 4000 rpm . but i didnt like the way the maf was put so i didnt do this .

Last edited by Logic; 05-05-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM

2000 C230 2.3L Kompressor
The bypass is what I was asking about... So in a nut shell You ran metal piping from the intake manifold to the silicon coupler, but the bypass you just welded into the metal piping, From the silicon coupler you ran directly down into the under body and used an oil filter as your filter... Also I assume that you ran it down to were the fog light holes are. (BTW aren't red calibers a little GTIish lol I did mine in blue) One more question. There is a hose that runs into my airbox on the back side by the radiator (I will post a pic tomorrow since it is 1030 at night now) do you know what this hose is for

Thanks for your time and help man
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 AM

1998 c43 amg opal black
the small hose that connects to the air box goes to the top of the engine right? i think its a breather ...not sure but the small filter next the intake that you see is the hose that was connected to the factory box. as far as red i almost went yellow but it gets dirty and its harder to clean, i did consider blue but like the red. i paint them once a year to keep them looking good. i strip them down and repaint them... this year i didnt have to , i found a good caliper paint that stays shiney and has ceramic in it. by the way you have pictures of yours car ?

Last edited by Logic; 05-11-2010 at 01:41 AM.