C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Veiwing C180 Elegance Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
Veiwing C180 Elegance Auto

Hello tommorow im going to view a 1997 C180 and since this would be my first car i just wanted to get a general idea of things to look for inside and out that would make it not worth while.

The car is an automatic also it has no tax so i wont get a test drive and would have to arrange a tow and the owner is asking for £600 will try and get him down to £500.

P.S i know to ccheck the water in the radiator for rust, oil levels, rust on the frame and inside the bootlid.

Last edited by naphthalene; 08-11-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Some suggestions when you buy a car:

1. Do an all-around physical inspection of the car. Check for dents, scratches, spot areas repainted, etc. Chances are the car could have had some collisions and have been repaired. Nothing wrong if the previous owner has disclosed this to you.

2. Check for alignment of fenders, doors, hood and trunk. Again, the car may have been involved in an accident and the parts have been replaced.

3. Check the lights, wipers, A/C, sun roof, power window switches or any accessories (stereo, fog lamps, etc.) if they are all working correctly.

4. Check fluids like oil, coolant, power steering, washer, AT, brakes, etc. If the fluids are too low, then there might be some leaks in the car. Check also the color and texture of the oil.

5. Start the engine and check the tail pipe if it gives off a lot of smoke. Also, listen to the engine if it gives a rough idle. Let the car running for 5 minutes with the hood closed to check whether the car has overheating problems.

6. Test drive the car to check the performance of the car. Check the car's steering, shocks, etc. if they are okay.

7. Finally, check the car's Title (Certificate of Registration) of the car whether it has a clean title or salvage title.

I'm also attaching a file here as a checklist as to what to look for when you are buying a car.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Used_Car_Check_List.pdf (160.2 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Jovsky; 08-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM

C180
Thanks for the info defantly been helpful having trouble getting in touch with the seller so maybe im just going to have to wait for another one to come along.