C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Mileage & Trip Meter Dimmed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Mileage & Trip Meter Dimmed

Okay guys, I was driving home tonight when I noticed that my mileage & trip meter suddenly turned dimmed. I could not see any readings at all. Upon close inspection, I spotted a flashlight directly on the cluster and I can barely see the numbers. I tried to run the car a few blocks to check if the numbers do change, and yes they did. It means that they are still working fine except that they do not illuminate.

Is this just a simple case of replacing a bulb or bulbs at the back of the instrument cluster or is it a more complex procedure of replacing any mechanism on the mileage and trip meter?

Has anyone ever experienced this on your car? Any info on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2000 C280 Sport
This is a very common failure on our cars. The good news is that it's as simple as replacing a bulb on the back of the cluster. The bad news is that unless you have the telescoping steer wheel option you will have to remove the steering wheel to get the cluster out.

There are lots of threads regarding the removal of the cluster. One word of advice is to replace all the bulbs while you have the cluster out.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Capt
This is a very common failure on our cars. The good news is that it's as simple as replacing a bulb on the back of the cluster. The bad news is that unless you have the telescoping steer wheel option you will have to remove the steering wheel to get the cluster out.

There are lots of threads regarding the removal of the cluster. One word of advice is to replace all the bulbs while you have the cluster out.

Thanks Capt for the info. Really appreciate it. I'm glad it's just a simple case of bulb replacement and not the other way around. Thanks again bro!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 PM

I've seen in different posts that you will need panel puller tools (part # 140 589 02 33 00) to be able to take out the cluster. My question is: Do you just insert these puller tools on the sides of the cluster and start pulling it out? Or do you use the puller tools to unlock a latch or something to be able to pull it out. If so, where exactly are the latches located on the cluster, if ever?

If anyone can show me a picture where exactly to insert the puller tools or where to look for these latches, I am most grateful. I am just afraid to mess up my cluster. Thanks again.

EDIT: Okay, I found this image courtesy from PANCHO (W208). Can you guys tell me to which number/s do I insert the puller tools? Thanks!

Last edited by Jovsky; 10-30-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added Image for Reference
Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2000 C280 Sport
It's going to be around numbers 8 and 3 (see link)

http://www.202tech.com/howto/instrument.html
Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Capt
It's going to be around numbers 8 and 3 (see link)

http://www.202tech.com/howto/instrument.html

Thanks Capt! I'm gonna try it once I get all my bulbs.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 PM

I just replaced my Mileage/Trip Meter & RPM bulbs today. Easy fix, took me 20-30 minutes to do. All you need is the Puller tool, but you can fabricate using a coat hanger (metal one). Just follow what's written on the above thread and you're good to go. Fortunately, I have a telescoping steering wheel so I did not have to remove the steering wheel.

At first, it was frightening for me to do the job, thinking I might mess it up but after doing the job, it gave me a little more confidence and I guess, I could replace any busted bulbs in the cluster again in the future.

Now, the cluster lights beautifully at night.

The bulb's part no. is N 910 141 00 00 00

Thanks to this forum!!!