C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Transmission slipping in first gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280 Sport
Transmission slipping in first gear

2000 C280 Automatic Tranny.
Recently had an issue wher my car was stuck in first gear. Took it to AAmco (only place around). They checked it and said it needed a Tranny control circuit board. They replaced and said everything else was OK. They did the fluid service also.

Now it works mostly. Car shifts fine beteween gears. When I come to a complete stop and hit the gas again, sometimes the trans. slips for a second. As a workaround, I have just been hitting the gas gradually until I feel the tranny catch, then I can go.

Sometimes it works perfectly.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Last edited by shakescl; 11-02-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by shakescl
2000 C280 Automatic Tranny.
Recently had an issue wher my car was stuck in first gear. Took it to AAmco (only place around). They checked it and said it needed a Tranny control circuit board. They replaced and said everything else was OK. They did the fluid service also.

Now it works mostly. Car shifts fine beteween gears. When I come to a complete stop and hit the gas again, sometimes the trans. slips for a second. As a workaround, I have just been hitting the gas gradually until I feel the tranny catch, then I can go.

Sometimes it works perfectly.

Does anyone know what might cause this?
I had that problem when I bought mine. My mechanic checked the A/T Fluid and it he said that it was lacking. So I had it flushed, replaced the transmission filter kit, and filled the correct amount of A/T fluid using a MB measuring tool. (Just found out that my engine does not have any A/T measuring dip stick in the car) Now, no more problems
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
AAmco is the worst. I would not be surprised if they put in the wrong type of transmission fluid. They probably used the cheap stuff meant for the pre-facelift w202. Additionally, you could have a totally separate issue from bad fluid. The transmission board may have been a red herring. I would go to a qualified MB transmission expert and stop taking chances.