C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

hypothetically speaking....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230K
hypothetically speaking....

So MB offered a bunch of engines with our W202s, I4s, I6s, V6s and even two V8s (if you count the uber rare C55). Obviously the platform was designed to hold all of these engines so engine bay mods shouldn't be necessary, but hypothetically if someone were to say, swap an M113 V8 into a less W202, what would be needed? The all use the 5G-tronic correct? I'm guessing you would need oem amg engine mounts, the bellhousing for the V8, ECU, wiring harness, engine itself, maybe driveshaft, but that *should* be it right? I've done swaps before and I have helped friends pull engines and compared to some things I have seen, that sounds pretty pedestrian. Then again I have never really pulled a W202 apart before so I may be missing something here. What do you guys think? If it is as simple (relatively) as it sounds, why do more people not do this?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

1998 C280 Sport many mods, 1991 SL500 many mods, 1999 ML430 in progress, 1991 GTR (parted)
There were some guys on the C43 forum talking about having dropped in the 5.4L, and how they even used the same ecu.

But for more "civilian" 202's they said there was quite a bit more needed, as upgrades were made to the frame and suspension to hold the extra weight of the V8 when the C43 was being designed.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM

2000 C230K
The 5.4 is just a stroked 4.3 isnt it?

If i were to do this i would also beef up the suspension anyways. No point in all that power if it cant turn. Not sure what to do about chassis strengthening though.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
You would need upgraded brakes too...everyone wants to go a million miles a hour...no one wants to stop.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM

2000 C230K
I understand all of this. I'm not cutting corners, just asking what would be involved in this particular mod. I've worked on cars before I understand the value of good brakes.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
The reason that "more people aren't doing this" is simply that the amount of work to get this done correctly is extensive, costly and a used AMG can be purchased for less....

But since you seem to be heading this direction, here is the short list of items (in addition to those you have already mentioned):

- radiator and hoses are different/ use Behr OEM replacement and you won't have to fit hoses via, trial and error.
- remove air-to-air intercooler for C230 Kompressor models
- replace electric fan(s) with items matching replacement engine requirements
- different A/C condenser and hoses
- Yes all W202's use the "same" 5-speed AUTO in the same manner that GM used a Powerglide in everything from a Corvair through an Impala Big Block...
The tranny is not set-up to handle the V-8 so do yourself a favor and replace with a C43 AMG rebuilt or have the existing trans rebuilt to the AMG specs.
- the trans cooler lines will also have to be replaced for proper routing to the new radiator
- the brakes, calipers, spindles, rotors, master cylinder and ABS will have to be replaced with the AMG components. I would strongly recommend the replacement of the ESP components as well. As luck would have it, the hard lines should match up...
- the springs, struts, A-Arms and ball joints will also have to be replaced with the AMG components to handle the additional weight and match the AMG steering geometry.
- the power steering rack is also a fast response item and exclusive to the AMG (yes that means different tie rods and power steering hoses)
- the rear differential is not up to the V-8 requirements and should be replaced along with the axle half shafts. The driveshaft and rag joints, I don't have any specific info on, but my bet is that they are more robust to handle the V-8.
- The fuel pump should be the same, but fuel lines are different to route to the AMG engine
- The alternator is more robust on the C43, don't try to reuse the 90 Amp C230 version.
- the exhaust and hangers are exclusive to the C43
- AMG also stiffened the body/chassis to aid in handling, I don't know what that looks like to gusset the existing W202 chassis to duplicate that effort

This is by no way an all inclusive listing and AMG spent literally millions of dollars developing the C43 package based on a W202 chassis, they didn't just stuff a V-8 into the engine bay.

Anyway, I hope that at least gives you a starting point for mods needed to do this swap.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM

2000 C230K
Thanks for the list. I was a bit under the impression it was just a hot rod as old AMGs basically were. it makes sense they would upgrade most of the car though since they had access to MB's much larger resources.

I wouldn't necessarily say I am leaning towards a swap or not. I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible so myself and the other W202 owners here can get the most out of our cars. it seems to me for the effort involved it may be better to spend a grand and get the ASP pulled kit, or the Renntech stage 1 and then just upgrade the suspension with coilovers. Then you are talking about two weekends worth of work (at my pace) Instead of an entire season trying to get a swap to work.

If it's ok with you i would like to repost what you said into my other thread. maybe we can get some productive discussion going on about this. I haven't heard any first hand accounts as to the effectiveness of any of these mods and i don't like to just go off of what the manufacturer or distributor says.