C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

What kind of miles do you have on 202?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my 60k service a few months back. Everything was fine, I did it myself and it cost me about 120 bucks I think. Did a dealer recommend that your bushings be replaced? It just seems low miles to have them be replaced. Are they worn real bad? If you are in the problem year for the wiring harness you have to have that addressed. Other than that happy motoring.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
When I did my 120K service, my front end suspension (lower control arms, bushings, steering shock and camber bolt kit) had to be replaced. Job costed me $1200. It definately seems early at 60k to have the bushings replaced...get a second opinion at a different dealership?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and my suspension is fine. It's my tires causing the vibration and there's nothing I can do except replace them to the tune of $600. Forget that. They said it wouldn't hurt the suspension to keep them on there, so I will live with the vibration for a while. I'm wondering what the bill's going to be when i pick it up this afternoon. My dad estimated $700 and I said $200 to $300.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94' C220
Gents,

What fluids work really well with your mbz's. Let me hear your reccomendations on Motor Oil,Transmission Fluid,Radiator Fluid and Rear,Diff fluid,Power Steering and Brake Fluid. I wanto hear your sucess stories and not so sucessful stories. what fluids dose Mercedes Benz of America reccomend?

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-08-2003, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
Mobile 1 oil, Everything else should be Genuinne Mercedes fluids. No green radiator fluid or anything like that. The only thing you can skimp on is washer fluid.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Almost a Member!

C220
Fluids:

I use Castrol Syntec for the engine, many people use Mobil 1. I'll probably switch to Mobil 1, as they now have a 0W-40 weight that I can use year round. Filters- Mann and Hengst are OE suppliers to MB- if you buy a filter from a dealer, you'll likely see a Hengst or Mann stamp on it, but marked up another $4. I use Hengst-- some indep mechanics I've talked to seem to think it's a better filter. (I don't think you'll go wrong with either) Oddly, the same mechanics seem to think that in addition to the higher price that Bosch filters seem to command, it's an inferior product.

PS Fluid- MB or Febi Bilstein. Febi Bilstein makes a lot of OEM steering components for MB, and their fluid is just fine. Just don't substitute ATF for PS fluid.

Tranny fluid- You have the 722.4 transmission, which doesn't require MB fluid. In fact, you should not use the MB fluid that is intended for the electronic transmissions, unless you enjoy paying about $10 a quart. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, pretty much any good fluid will do as long as you keep it clean. I've actually heard many good things about Valvo Maxlife, but I've got a tough time believing that.

Brake Fluid. Dot4 is the real key here- I've heard good things about Valvo synthetic fluid. I use ATE Dot4, which I've heard is the same thing that comes in the MB containers. ATE Superblue is supposed to be even better, with higher boil points, etc.

Brake Paste for new pads- At 75 cents a pop, I'm gonna recommend MB paste packets.

Rear diff fluid- If you're going conventional, any major brand 85W90 weight will do, I sprung for the extra $3 and bought Mobil 1 synthetic, since I only change that every 15-30K miles. Synthetic Gear oil seems to come in 75W90 weight. I've heard good things about Redline also.

Coolant. MB only. Period. Not worth the risk with other brands.

Sunroof tracks- MB makes something called Gleitpaste (sp?), but only sells it in huge tubs that are pretty pricy. I think that there's an online shop called EPC parts that will sell you a film cannister full for a reasonable price. Alternatively, I've heard of people using lithium grease without problems.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Almost a Member!

C220
Originally posted by merclover
hey, my AC squeaks at times, and it is bothering me. i,ve opened the panel and cleande the blowe motor and lubed it two times already and it doesnt work. ive noticed that it has rubber mountings to alleviate vibrations coming from the car, would they be the producers of the squeak? help
Sooner or later, you'll have to replace the motor. With that in mind, one of the contributing factors to my squeak was that the squirrel cage was rubbing against the housing a little. In addition to cleaning out the whole thing, I unscrewed the whole motor/squirrel cage, and shaved a little off of the housing. It's a stopgap measure, but it's lasted for over 8,000 miles so far.