C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

2005 C230K engine misfire - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
2005 C230K engine misfire - need advice

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I was moderately accelerating to merge onto the expressway when I heard a brief but strange noise coming from the engine which is difficult to describe, but sort of like forcefully and quickly scraping chalk across a chalkboard. After that, I started losing power and noticed the engine running rough. I pulled over, and one of the cylinders is not firing. I drove it the rest of the short distance home, and after I let it sit for a couple of hours, I cranked it up again, and it was no longer misfiring. The CEL is on, but I don't have a code reader to pull it/them.

Since I am relatively new to M-B ownership but fairly knowlegdeable about working on engines, I was hoping to get some advice on what I should do. I don't have lots of time or space to devote to working on it and have no experience working on a Benz, but I also don't want to get ripped off by the stealership. Can you rent a code reader from Autozone or equivalent? Where would I hook it up to read the code(s)? Are spark plugs or injectors difficult to replace on the 1.8 4-cyl Kompressor engine? Can someone give me a ballpark as to how much a dealer charges to replace an injector if that's the problem and how much an injector itself costs? How common is a failed injector on these engines? The car has 89K miles, and burns about 2 qts of oil every 3000 miles (more than normal I'm thinking), so I'm wondering if a spark plug has fouled to the point of dying.

Also, can someone fill me in on this $12 hose I keep reading about? Is it on the I-4 Kompressor engine?

Finally, what is the alphanumeric name for the 1.8L 4-cyl Kompressor engine so I can refer to it properly in future posts?

Thanks
Brent
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 (W164) - 201K Miles
Originally Posted by ND4ZPD
Hi all,

A couple of days ago I was moderately accelerating to merge onto the expressway when I heard a brief but strange noise coming from the engine which is difficult to describe, but sort of like forcefully and quickly scraping chalk across a chalkboard. After that, I started losing power and noticed the engine running rough. I pulled over, and one of the cylinders is not firing. I drove it the rest of the short distance home, and after I let it sit for a couple of hours, I cranked it up again, and it was no longer misfiring. The CEL is on, but I don't have a code reader to pull it/them.

Since I am relatively new to M-B ownership but fairly knowlegdeable about working on engines, I was hoping to get some advice on what I should do. I don't have lots of time or space to devote to working on it and have no experience working on a Benz, but I also don't want to get ripped off by the stealership. Can you rent a code reader from Autozone or equivalent? Where would I hook it up to read the code(s)? Are spark plugs or injectors difficult to replace on the 1.8 4-cyl Kompressor engine? Can someone give me a ballpark as to how much a dealer charges to replace an injector if that's the problem and how much an injector itself costs? How common is a failed injector on these engines? The car has 89K miles, and burns about 2 qts of oil every 3000 miles (more than normal I'm thinking), so I'm wondering if a spark plug has fouled to the point of dying.

Also, can someone fill me in on this $12 hose I keep reading about? Is it on the I-4 Kompressor engine?

Finally, what is the alphanumeric name for the 1.8L 4-cyl Kompressor engine so I can refer to it properly in future posts?

Thanks
Brent

Brent,
I do not have answer for all of your question but here is the some

1) Yes, autozone will read code for you FREE. Code Reader goes below streeing wheel, there is one slot where OBDII will go.
2) It should be very easy to change spark plug in your car. Try this youtube video which is similar to what you may be looking into your car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wr-ttdTWU

3) Do not go to stealership. Try going to your local mechanics who knows MB or look up on craiglist.

4) Depends on what code you have...you will know where to look for. Infact, if you do research by yourself, you will know lot more about your engine and your future issue can be resolved easily.

MAF is another one..which you have to lookout for. C230 model has know MAF issues if code is P0100 or P0140.