C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

96 W202 C280 3 Monitors won't set for Smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
96 W202 C280 3 Monitors won't set for Smog

Hi there I live in Las vegas and am trying to get my car to pass smog testing. The problem I am having is that the EGR, Secondary Air, and Catalyst monitors will not set. I have put it through the drive cycles according to mercedes and clearly there is another problem. I have also brought it to three mechanics and no one can seem to figure out what is wrong. The car has an after market stereo, and also had after market HIDs installed before I bought it. Obviously there has been some work done to the car before I acquired it and i am not entirely sure what extent. It is not shooting off any codes and also does not have a CEL on. ANY information would be helpful. The current mechanic just fixed the EGR telling me there was a vaccum leak and that he fixed it. he also told me that the secondary air as and the EGR are definitely working. Another problem i am having is the door locks will not lock with the remote or the key in the door when the car is off...they will open but not lock, im not sure if that has anything to do with the monitors not setting. THanks for your help
Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
With my 2000 C230k, I almost had a similar experience with you with 2 different mechanics that could not get my car to pass smog. No CEL, no codes... I've already replaced the 2 oxygen sensors (pre-cat and post-cat). Finally, I've given up being cheap and decided to bring it to the MB dealer to find out what's wrong with it.

It turns out that the MB techs just had to clean the MAF sensors and that's it. Brought the car to a smog station and passed the smog check.