C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Question for people w/swapped radios/looking for stock radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for people w/swapped radios/looking for stock radio

The Alpine/Bose radio in my wife's 95' C280 (non fiber optic) has hiss. I've tried a different amp, and the hiss is still there. I'm not looking for an aftermarket unit right now, unless someone makes the adaptor cable. She likes the speed sentive volume control, and I'd like to add a cd changer at some point without having to re-wire the car.

Nobody makes a plug in harness do they?

Does anyone in the DC area have a stock radio to sell? It would be easier for me to find one locally.

Out of the area, email me which radio you have, and what you want for it.

Thanks,
Tad
Old 06-16-2003, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1968 cadillac coupe deville calais hardtop
hiss and adaptor

there is an adaptor cable sold by crutchfield for the benz so u can use a different head unit (while utilizing ur bose amp and all original speakers). do a search for this on the board. also try the audio/electronics forum on this board.

oh and the hiss... see if the shops local to u couldnt be able to fix that... maybe a bad ground or something. what type of hiss?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
There are differing opnions on this matter, but as far as I know you have about 6 months after you install an aftermarket deck with Bose, even with an adapter, before the system goes to hell. Also, I've heard the sound quality is horrible as well. The hiss sound you describe sounds like an amp problem. Go go www.davescoolstuff.com for more info. on what could be wrong with it. I'm pretty sure that purchasing another Alpine/Bose deck will be a waste of money and won't fix the problem. I've had two Bose systems in two different cars I've owned (one Nissan and one Mercedes) and I'm pretty much an expert on them. There are also ways to do subs and stuff but you have to do a lot of splicing and rewiring work to get it done. Your better off either fixing the Bose system or just replacing the entire thing, speakers, amps, and all with aftermarket equipment. Your speed sensitive volume will go away if you install an aftermarket deck. If you're really bent on buying a new deck you can look on ebay and MAYBE find one, but the decks for 94 to 96 C 280's are hard to find there. Pretty much the only easy mod to the Bose in W 202's I've heard of is the addition of a CD changer. Hope I was some help.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
all worng. the hiss is form the headunit giving off too much power.
it happened to my car when i installed the command. so i went out and bouthg the line output converter.

so then we adjusted the power outtput lower.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:52 PM

Well, let me say this: The hiss was still there when I swapped AMPs. There is another 95 C280 in the family with the Bose stereo. I didn't have the radio tools with me, otherwise I would have tried swapping the head unit as well.

I'm not tied tot he 94-96 C280 head units, I'd just like something that will plug in. I checked the crutchfield website, and they don't list a Mercedes radio adaptor other than the W123 series round type. Do I have to call them to get that item?

TP: You used a line converter in between the command and the stock radio?

Thanks for the suggestions,
Tad
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

command and the amp.

command to line output converter to amp.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:58 AM

87 190E 2.6/1995 M3
hi Tad, I'd recomment just gutting the whole sound system and replacing it with an aftermarket unit and speakers (personally I have the standard non-amplified system, and I'm saving money for the Nacamichi in dash 6-cd changer/player).....or if you are deterimined to stick with a factory set-up...get your hands on a euro spec factory in dash cd player go for that....
I've successfully rewired cars that had the BOSE system and converted the to a "regular" setup (for instance a 1990 nissan maxima a couple of weeks ago) BUT let me tell you it's NOT easy....I went the cheap way and just disconnected the speakers from the BOSE amps and plugged them to the preamp wires etc, but that was a pain.....But, If you planning to keep this can for a while longer.....then by all means swap the whole system and put the old one on Ebay.... I've also done this on my previous car (89 735iL) that had a much more complicated 10 speaker audio system than a W202 and the results were very rewarding....

ps. how did the cluster come out?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

all worng. the hiss is form the headunit giving off too much power.
I could have sworn that all BOSE head units didn't put out any power at all. That's why the system has individual amps for each speaker. Is Mercedes BOSE set up a different way. I know that my MAXIMA had individual amps tied to all four speakers and the head unit had no power output at all.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by davis449
I could have sworn that all BOSE head units didn't put out any power at all. That's why the system has individual amps for each speaker. Is Mercedes BOSE set up a different way. I know that my MAXIMA had individual amps tied to all four speakers and the head unit had no power output at all.
ur right..that is why he is getting hissing from the new headunit..aftermarket one..
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Bose amps for pre-1998 expect line level inputs... generally, Mercedes cars configured for Bose have a headunit that puts out a line level. On COMAND, this is configurable... not sure about the other headunits, but there must be some adjustment (maybe the headunit self adjusts). On the 1998+ Bose amp, it doesn't seem to care whether you give it speaker or line level inputs. Maybe now the amp self adjusts?

On the W202/W208/W210, there is one Bose amp for all the speakers.

If you want to add an aftermarket headunit to a Bose system on a pre-1998 W202/W208, and retaining the Bose system, feed the LINE LEVEL outputs from the headunit to the SPEAKER connector (buy a pigtail adapter from Scosche or whoever your favorite ISO adapter maker is, a VW/Audi one will work fine).

When hooking an aftermarket headunit to a pre-1998 non-Bose W202/W210, or a 1998+ Bose system, the speaker outputs from the headunit can be fed to the speaker connector. On the non-Bose system, the speakers can also be replaced with higher quality units.

This has been my experience. It's best that you try things out yourself to see what will work for you, and what side effects are acceptable or not.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 06-18-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ur right..that is why he is getting hissing from the new headunit..aftermarket one..
Oh, ok, miscommunication, sorry bout that.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:42 PM

Actually, it is the stock head unit. Made by Alpine according to the sticker. I've swapped amps with one from another 95 C280.

So, I may try an aftermarket head unit, and the line outputs from it.

So VW/Audio adaptors work eh? Good to know. That will make this transition much easier.

Thanks again,
Tad
Old 06-19-2003, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just wanna know, how much wire cutting and stuff is required to switch to an aftermarket head unit? I may do it if it's easy, cause I have a Sony head unit I took out of my old car.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just wanna know, how much wire cutting and stuff is required to switch to an aftermarket head unit? I may do it if it's easy, cause I have a Sony head unit I took out of my old car.
If you use harness adapters, no cutting is required.

-s-
Old 06-20-2003, 10:29 AM

87 190E 2.6/1995 M3
Where can we get those harness wiring adaptors? Have looked everywhere but can't find one.....
Old 06-20-2003, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vas2vas
Where can we get those harness wiring adaptors? Have looked everywhere but can't find one.....
One day we needed them in an emergency... so tpliquid went over to BestBuy (3 blocks) and bought a couple. I believe you can get them at Circuit City, too. And Crutchfield if you want to mail order.

If you can't find them, you're looking too hard!

-s-
Old 06-20-2003, 02:30 PM

87 190E 2.6/1995 M3
well....went to the circuit city near me, no luck (they had for jap. and us cars, and for jetta's i think, no merc.) ..... then looked all over the crutchfield website, and I couldn't find it (in fact they don't even know what fits the car), also tried a couple of other sites, nothing....link. will try best buy though...thanks

p.s. if it is available in crutchfield can you please post

BTW... you guys think this would be a nice replacement for the factory stereo?

http://www.nakusa.com/master/mb75.htm

Last edited by vas2vas; 06-20-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vas2vas
well....went to the circuit city near me, no luck (they had for jap. and us cars, and for jetta's i think, no merc.) ..... then looked all over the crutchfield website, and I couldn't find it (in fact they don't even know what fits the car), also tried a couple of other sites, nothing....link. will try best buy though...thanks

p.s. if it is available in crutchfield can you please post

BTW... you guys think this would be a nice replacement for the factory stereo?

http://www.nakusa.com/master/mb75.htm
You didn't read my earlier post, I see.

I said "buy a pigtail adapter from Scosche or whoever your favorite ISO adapter maker is, a VW/Audi one will work fine."

When you were at Circuit City, did you ask a salesguy? Or did you just look at the wall of adapters? You really need to talk with an installer, the salespeople are just people that come in off the street and get a job.

On Crutchfield, "What Fits" is only for head units, speakers, etc. Instead, go to "Installation" then "receiver wiring harness" and select the Mercedes one. You should just call to verify that it is for a 1994+ model because the years are not listed.

-s-