C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

W202 95 C280 Transmission Slipping, Jumping Revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 US c280
W202 95 C280 Transmission Slipping, Jumping Revs

I'm wondering if anyone would know where to begin with an automatic 95 C280 with a tranny bug. The car has 180k+ and has not likely ever had a tranny flush but a fluid check for color showed it appeared red and 'normal' to the eye. I've never had issues with the engine or transmission before, but the transmission appears to be slipping as if it were a slipping clutch on a manual tranny. What's strange is that it also appears to be revving quite strange under different circumstances. Mainly when going up hill or when the engine is cold, the engines revs appears to jump up and down quite rapidly at only certain speeds making the car jerk back and forth. The only way to get around that is to let off the gas, then push it quite hard till you get over the 'hump'. I've also noticed the car seems to take quite a long time (especially when cold) shifting from neutral to drive, or from neutral to reverse. You can actually feel the transmission 'clicking' into position (roughly 7 clicks) that can take about 3-5 seconds. Since i've owned the car, it has always slipped when going into (and going in) reverse though. Also of note is when going around corners, it appears to slip more readily. A check of the gear oil in the rear diff appeared normal to my local mechanic when he checked it last. I replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs not long too ago when the jumping rev's first appeared, but that did not solve the problem. I want to take the car to a local autozone and have the codes pulled, but I was wondering if anyone has experience or knows a direction to point me with this issue.

I've included a link to a youtube vid i recorded off my phone of the jumping revs and slipping tranny. In the first seconds you can see it rev quite high from a full stop. At this point the tranny is slipping. After catching around 20-25mph, you will notice the camera shake and the tach needle jump up and down wildly before it flattens off. The shift occurs quite shortly after.

http://youtu.be/olPjPdzdh7s

Any help is truly appreciated.

Last edited by zadefaraj; 02-09-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: adding video
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202
get a shop to rebuild the tranny