C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1999 C230 turns over, won't start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kompressor, c230
1999 C230 turns over, won't start.

So here is the ongoing saga of the problem I have yet to fix. About a month ago my wife's C230 stopped running in the middle of traffic. When I came to pick her up about a half hour later, the car started right up. This episode happened again a week later.

The odor of gas was heavy in the car and outside the car. I changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter, and fuel pump relay. I then started the car drove it around the neighborhood and no problem, the smell of gas has gone away. We decided we were going to go to dinner about 15 minutes later and the car wouldnt start. Three hours later i went to start up the car and it fired right up.

I have repeated this process of starting the car up, driving around the neighborhood (about 5 miles), shutting the car down, and having the car fail to start up. It turns over yet won't start up unless it has been three or more hours since I have run the car.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vegas
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kompressor, c230
I just want to bring closure to this post. Thank you everyone for contributing.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor on my 1999 C230 Kompressor. The difficult part was replacing it by touch. I was unable to see it because it is located above the starter motor. It was a star bolt that took an elongated E8 star socket (the shorter E8 star socket didn't fit) to remove the bolt.

I have been driving my Kompressor all week and it has not stalled since i replaced the CPS. I am pretty confident the CPS was the culprit.

thanks again to all who participated in this thread.

VEGAS