C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

'99 C230K Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230K
Exclamation '99 C230K Won't Start

Ok,

First post here at MBworld.com. Glad to be here.

Today, after a hard freeway run of 30 miles, I stopped at the Supermarket for about 20min. When I came out, the car attempted to start, but failed. I could hear the starter engage and I would estimate it turned the engine about a quarter-turn. I removed the key, and tried again and got nothing. I did the same thing again and it started, running REAL rough. I turned it off and waited 30-seconds, restarted it and it ran fine. I pulled off and the coolant light came on for about 1 minute then went out.

After consulting the owners manual, adding 2-litres bottled water and checking for leaks, I continued on my way home. The car ran marginally rough all the way home.

After two hours, I went to start the car again and it sounds like the starter engages, but nothing moves. The vehicle lights dim like the starter is pulling current, but the engine does not turn.

Tomorrow AM I will:
  • start by checking the battery; its about 3-1/2 years old and may be toast.
  • I'll check the starter 2nd; the local O'reilly is not far
  • if the first two actions don't turn up the problem I'll verify I can turn the engine by hand from the crankshaft and go from there.
This vehicle has approximately 287K-Miles. I am concerned at all these issues popping up at the same time. The vehicle has never had a problem with coolant loss until now and after filling it, I could not find a leak.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Then
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM

1999 C230K
Update for today:
  • Battery load tested at local shop--AOK
  • Pulled Starter, tested at shop--AOK but of course their testing does not put a load on the starter, only verifies it functions. It may fail as soon as it has to supply a few pounds/newtons of torque.
  • Reinstalled starter
  • Removed serpentine belts and verified all driven components turn freely by hand
  • Turned the engine at the crankshaft; moved freely and completely for one full revolution.
  • Reconnected battery and attempted to start the vehicle; on the first try it definitely turned the engine for at least a quarter-rev.

I'm now convinced its the starter, however the only way to verify will be to put in a new one. 6 months ago my son and I were fooled by an apparent starter problem on his Buick that turned out to be a frozen A/C compressor binding the engine via the serpentine belt.

Money is tight, so I want to make sure I rule out anything else which can be easily (more importantly cheaply) verified. Please let me know if I'm leaving out anything obvious, but I think its time for a starter.

I'll make sure to come back and close this post out with a resolution; I hate all the posts with a problem similar to one I'm having but don't include a successful resolution.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM

chevrolet z-71
Please check you engine oil!!! If your loosing water it's going some where! And with that many miles could be the head gasket. Mine did it with 195k water went into the cylinders causing extra pressure their and also went into the oil! Yep into the oil pan not a pretty sight. Check into club 202!! It's a mercedes club geared for the w202 models!! And these peeps helped me thru my troubles and woes with the blown head gasket and head rebuild, along with a ton of other lil gremlins that have popped up. Good luck and hope this helps.