C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

noob Lowering Question:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob Lowering Question:)

Hey this is my first post here so bear with me...

I drive a 99' C280 Sport with 17'' AMG Monos and after viewing some of the rides here i decided that i want to lower my car a bit. I was thinkin like the Eibach 1.2'' kit. But i was wondering, do i have to get new shocks also? or can i just install the springs and get my 1.2'' lowering? Thanks for any help
Old 07-10-2003, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1968 cadillac coupe deville calais hardtop
refer

to search feature at bottom of screen from now on.

also look at the springs, eibach etc.. thread posted by jdub on this forum page, and yes get new shocks if u lower. doug claims his lasted all but 2 hours on stock shocks. because the ride is lowered and smaller springs, the shorter, bilstein sport shocks accomodate for it, and give less play/bounce.

welcome

sol-t
Old 07-10-2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks man
Old 07-10-2003, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

word up

if ur in southern cal/oc/la area, we can meet up and i'll help u or hit me up aol im.

peace

Old 07-10-2003, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ugh

ugh wha wha!
Attached Thumbnails noob Lowering Question:)-cutafter.jpg  
Old 07-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

if you on a budget, then just get the springs and drop them in. It would be nice to do both but not neccessary.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
acid where u from?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

unless...

Originally posted by 714guy
if you on a budget, then just get the springs and drop them in. It would be nice to do both but not neccessary.
unless u drive like a granny and don't mind bottoming out on freeways when a hit a quick descent.

it's ok to lower without the new sport shocks, but if u wanna keep it clean and suspension tight, then do it all at once and kill the labor cost factor. but, if u can't do both, 714's right, do the springs and see how ur shocks will last b4 getting new ones. but like i said, doug claims his went 2hrs and then popped. same with my bimmer, 2 fronts were bilstein sports and great, but the back was reg. boge and they bottomed out because the car was lower. i hated it. bilsteins are so much nicer and keep stuff tight. but like i said, try it and see if u want.

later
Old 07-10-2003, 09:09 PM

I currently am in Austin, Texas, but am moving up to Denton this fall to attend the University of North Texas:P

Yah, i would prefer not having to throw down $600+ bucks right now, but it sounds like thats the way to go. Tho would it be that bad since i have the sport package, with the "upgraded suspension", but i dunno how upgraded the suspension really is. Thanks again for any help
Old 07-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: unless...

Originally posted by 2~s0L~t
unless u drive like a granny and don't mind bottoming out on freeways when a hit a quick descent.

it's ok to lower without the new sport shocks, but if u wanna keep it clean and suspension tight, then do it all at once and kill the labor cost factor. but, if u can't do both, 714's right, do the springs and see how ur shocks will last b4 getting new ones. but like i said, doug claims his went 2hrs and then popped. same with my bimmer, 2 fronts were bilstein sports and great, but the back was reg. boge and they bottomed out because the car was lower. i hated it. bilsteins are so much nicer and keep stuff tight. but like i said, try it and see if u want.

later
Thats a bunch of bull, when i lowerd my car it was dumped to the floor, i had 18s and rode with stock shocks for 6 months. These shocks were old to had at least 60K miles on them.

About the labor part, shocks take only hour to do all four, its really not that labor invovled. only 12 nuts and 4 bolts that need to be removed.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: unless...

Originally posted by 714guy
Thats a bunch of bull, when i lowerd my car it was dumped to the floor, i had 18s and rode with stock shocks for 6 months. These shocks were old to had at least 60K miles on them.

About the labor part, shocks take only hour to do all four, its really not that labor invovled. only 12 nuts and 4 bolts that need to be removed.
man i dunno what to think with your bunch of bull statement, keep in mind that all cars are different. i wouldn't sit here and lie to this guy about **** i didn't know about unless i didn't live it. go ahead bro, keep your stock shocks. doug where u at? tp? scorchie? soldsep? anybody else think stock shocks dont last too long or add for a good ride with nice suspension/handling? also, a benefit of keeping the stock shocks good and replacing them is that when u get ready to sell and part out, u can put the original **** back on. i don't knowwhy ur comin at me like that, maybe i misunderstood; i wouldn't tell this kid that he'll bottom out because i am speculating... that **** really happened to me. if u wanna tell him otherwise, that's cool, all cars drive different and all drivers are different and this is all relative. on top of that, i personally am not selling him the bilstein shocks, so i don't get **** when he buys em, so i don't give a damn if he gets em or not, but if u want it done RIGHT, then get em.

Last edited by 2~s0L~t; 07-10-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:22 PM

Thanks again Sol. Yah i was thinking about not wanting to ruin the shocks so when i go to resell i can put em back on and have a nice stock ride to sell. Plus id rather not want to take the chance of ruining them
Old 07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no prob brotha...

like i said, u can do it either way, 714 is right in that, it won't the end of the world. but, if u want it done right, and u want to keep them for later to resell the car stock to some older dude who wants a stock car, then it might be wise to keep them and the oem springs rather than ruin them or whatever. just my .02 ya know? anyhow, i figure spend the extra 275 - 300 just to keep the car running smoothly and keep handling tight man. glad we helped.

later
Old 07-12-2003, 11:46 PM

As Sol said, "every" car is different... and it also depends on how "worn" your stock shocks already are.... You can imagine, stock shocks with 75k miles on them (riding on lowered springs) will not hold up as long as stock shocks with 25K on them... Also, the way you drive, your driving/road conditions, and other factors will affect how long your stock shocks will last with lowered springs...

Generally speaking, when I was younger I lowered ALL my cars using lowering springs only... then when the shocks gave up I would go ahead and install the performance shocks... I did this strictly because of finances, or "the lack of" to be specific.

Now that I'm a little older, (and my finances are a little more plentiful) I figure that installing performance shocks ALONG with the lowered springs is much more cost effective in the long run.

A couple reasons are as follows:

- you only pay for labor "once" since you do the springs the and shocks at the same time...
- the shocks will only run you a couple hundred bucks in addition to the springs...
- you will have a much better ride, which will last a lot longer than stock shocks (on lowered springs)
- you do less damage on your suspension and car in general, because the (softer) stock shocks usually tend to cause more problems...

and the number one reason to get new shocks with your springs is......

Hell, I don't know what I'm talking about... either way should work.... but if you have the funds, buy the shocks. That's why they make 'em!!!

-Jdub