C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1999 c280 sport key fob won't turn in ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280 sport
1999 c280 sport key fob won't turn in ignition cylinder

After looking through the forums, it seems this is a fairly common problem. If I understand it right, it can be either- the key itself; the ignition cylinder; the steering column; the EIS system.

Here's the thing, and I dont think it's coincidence but maybe- I rarely park the car on hills, but this time I did on a downhill with the wheels sharply turned into the curb, and when I went out to start it the problem occurred. After trying to jar the wheel back and forth, opening and closing the door, taking the batteries out and back in the key, jiggling the gear shifter, and last unhooking the battery- nada. I then had it towed, a mechanic lifted the front end to get the wheels to turn a bit, and still nothing. Mechanic claims the "electronic buzzing sound" is not happening when the key fob is inserted into the cylinder, indicating either a bad key or bad cylinder. I was listening for that sound at the time it happened, and did hear it once but faintly, then couldnt seem to hear it anymore after multiple tries. Now a day later the mechanic says no sound at all.

Think its key or ignition cylinder? If so, what should these things cost? And what about the hill parking fact?- maybe it still might be a stuck mechanism in the steering column?

Mercedes just quoted me $275 for a programmed key here in the Los Angeles area. I bring proof of ownership ionto the dealer, then they order the key out os Texas and it takes a few days. They claimed I can't buy an aFTERMAARKET KEY AND BRING IT IN FOR PROGRAMMING, LIKE i RECENTLY DID FOR A lANDROVER KEY.

Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
Smart Key or regular key. Smart keys do not need batteries to control the ignition switch. is the area clean where you put the key in??
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280 sport
It is a smart key fob with the IR tip- aren't they all for that model? And thanks for "keying" me in to the fact that batteries not needed for starting the car I guess, just for opening the doors and trunk and panic. Very smart in case you end up with dead batteries, and I see why they include the metal key insert for the driver's door handle- with those features, you can't get stranded by dead batteries! And yes, the ignition cylinder (or whatever Mercedes calls it) was clean, and used a little WD40 to make extra sure.

So update- it was the key. Many Mercedes mechanics stated the key is responsible in over 75% of the cases, less common is the Electronic Ignition System, and the most rare is the steering column. Glad it wasn't the EIS, since most independent mechanics in the Los Angeles area don't have the proper clearance from Mercedes to install EIS systems (for the few that do, average indy price around $700) and the dealer- South Bay Mercedes Benz- wanted $1400

Key cost me $300 after tax from the dealer. Key must be ordered directly from dealer after verifying driver's license and registration match, then the key is shipped from a factory or distributor in Texas, and arrives next day via Fed Ex. Nice shiny new chrome sided key compared to my beat-up OG black plastic one- but still a monopolized rip-off at $300 IMO. And thankfully I have an earlier model, as I was told the later models must be towed into the dealer to visually inspect the VIN before releasing the key! Kudos for safety and protection, but a bit of a hassle. I did hear talk that Mercedes is relaxing the rules, and soon aftermarket keys can be purchased and indy shops will be able to program them. Anyone hear this news too?