C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

MY DAMN POWER WINDOWS! ITS BEEN TALKED ABOUT TO DEATH, BUT THIS IS A NEW ISSUE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
MY DAMN POWER WINDOWS! ITS BEEN TALKED ABOUT TO DEATH, BUT THIS IS A NEW ISSUE

Hello. I have a 1997 Mercedes C230(w202). I've been reading about an issue that I am also having regarding my power windows. I've read EVERYTHING and I have not seen anything regarding the specific issue I'm having. Both driver and passenger front windows stopped working and won't come back up. I know the Mercedes mechanics have answered questions like this, time and time again, but after research, I haven't found an answer. I'm aware that the windows work on a network and if a problem occurs, it's because of the rear windows. I've checked fuses and all are good.

Last night, I removed the door panels from both rear doors, removed all connections and disconnected the battery for 2 hours. Upon reconnecting only the battery(leaving the rear doors mechanisms fully disconnected), my front windows were still unable to go up or down. I've done the simple test to see if the front window motors were the issue by seeing if the interior lights dim while the window switch is activated, and they didn't. Also, when the car is in the accessory position(before starting the car), and I try to roll the front windows up or down, I hear something(which sounds like it's in the trunk) clicking. When I press either front window up or down, I here a click. I'm not sure if there's a rear module trying to engage, but I'm anxious to know if you've heard of this issue. I would greatly appreciate your response. Thank you

FYI, I'm not a novice, I put a new engine in this car by myself a couple years back, but this issue is something new to me. Thanks

EDIT: I found out where the clicking is coming from, it's the "Window Comfort Switch" that's hidden by the battery in the trunk underneath the metal, but accessible when the battery is removed. The rear windows still work fine, but is there a fix to the "Window Comfort Switch" that will stop the clicking when the front window button is activated, so the windows will work?

Last edited by AJ Benzo; 08-12-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
have you tried the convience module?? I know my seats would work not work when they wanted
Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Where is the module located, as my seats do the same thing.
My comment to the main post would have been the battery as well, but if that's been done then ???????
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM

1999 C280 Sport
Originally Posted by ptcruiser
Where is the module located, as my seats do the same thing.
My comment to the main post would have been the battery as well, but if that's been done then ???????
The convience module is located in the trunk area under the plastic cover that is above the spare tire well that is held there by three plastic screws. They usually have a solder failure and work sporatic. If you take the cover off the module run a soldering gun (thin tip like from radio shack) accross the soldered area and it will re solder it. You'll probably see the lines in the cracked solder if you use a magnifying glass.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 PM

1999 C280 Sport
Originally Posted by AJ Benzo
Hello. I have a 1997 Mercedes C230(w202). I've been reading about an issue that I am also having regarding my power windows. I've read EVERYTHING and I have not seen anything regarding the specific issue I'm having. Both driver and passenger front windows stopped working and won't come back up. I know the Mercedes mechanics have answered questions like this, time and time again, but after research, I haven't found an answer. I'm aware that the windows work on a network and if a problem occurs, it's because of the rear windows. I've checked fuses and all are good.

Last night, I removed the door panels from both rear doors, removed all connections and disconnected the battery for 2 hours. Upon reconnecting only the battery(leaving the rear doors mechanisms fully disconnected), my front windows were still unable to go up or down. I've done the simple test to see if the front window motors were the issue by seeing if the interior lights dim while the window switch is activated, and they didn't. Also, when the car is in the accessory position(before starting the car), and I try to roll the front windows up or down, I hear something(which sounds like it's in the trunk) clicking. When I press either front window up or down, I here a click. I'm not sure if there's a rear module trying to engage, but I'm anxious to know if you've heard of this issue. I would greatly appreciate your response. Thank you

FYI, I'm not a novice, I put a new engine in this car by myself a couple years back, but this issue is something new to me. Thanks
sounds like a power window relay failure or bad ground Remember Brown is the ground on MB's NOT black like Normal cars
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM

C230
Thanks, I will check it out.....I had gutted the trunk completely a few weeks ago, and just put it all back yesterday, so I know exactly where to look.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 PM

1997 C230
Originally Posted by 99MBSport
have you tried the convience module?? I know my seats would work not work when they wanted
Thank you for your suggestion. The "Window Comfort Switch/Module" was making the clicking noise when I tried to roll the front windows up or down. I'm not sure if I can open and repair the module, but I have since ordered a Window Comfort Switch/Module($40 on Ebay) and will return with the outcome once installed. Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

1997 C230
Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM

C230
From the PW post, am I to assume there is more than one convenience module? I haven't popped off the plastic panel yet, as I need to get one of those small soldering irons. I have a big one, like a pistol, and it's hard to handle, so I will pick one up next week. I also need it for soldering the after market radio wires into the main radio harness.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM

1997 C230
From the PW post, am I to assume there is more than one convenience module? I haven't popped off the plastic panel yet, as I need to get one of those small soldering irons. I have a big one, like a pistol, and it's hard to handle, so I will pick one up next week. I also need it for soldering the after market radio wires into the main radio harness.
Thanks
I'm not sure. The only modules I've seen is the Window Comfort Module which is hidden next to the battery in the trunk(You have to remove the battery to reveal the Window Comfort Module) and there's another module in the trunk under the plastic panel above the where the spare tire is(not the plastic panel on the back of the rear seat, but below that.) I don't know if it's for the seats though. Let me know if you need clarification.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 PM

1997 C230
Ok. So I installed the new “Window Comfort Module”, but the front windows still weren’t working, only the back windows. Basically, the “Window Comfort Module” wasn’t the issue, so I re-installed my old one. Just to scrutinize a bit more, I opened my Window Comfort Module to find 8 “Copper Magnetic Mechanisms” (2 for each window, 1 for the window up and 1 for the window down). When I engage the windows, to roll them up or down, the corresponding “Copper Magnetic Mechanism” engages normally within the Window Comfort Module, but the front windows are not rolling up or down.

Now since the window switches (in the console) are still engaging the “Copper Magnetic Mechanisms” in the Window Comfort Module, the window switches can’t be the issue right? My understanding is there can only be 3 reasons on why only the front windows aren’t working….

1) The Window motors are bad.
-But how can both front window motors go out simultaneously? Also, I did the simple window motor test. Having all the interior lights on and trying to roll the front windows up & down, which is supposed to make the lights “dim” if the window motors are the issue, but the lights didn’t dim.

2) The Window Comfort Module is bad.
-Clearly I replaced it, but the same exact problem was happening when my old Window Comfort Module was in… Which was… only the rear windows were working.

3) The Window Switch(in the Console) is bad.
-If this was the issue, why are the window switches still activating the “Copper Magnetic Mechanisms” inside the Window Comfort Switch… Is this even possible when the window switches go bad?

As you can see, I’m at a loss about the issue and winter is coming. I tried to be thorough in my response, so let me know if any of you need clarity on something. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 PM

C230
Maybe the next step is to take it to a shop that specializes in electrical problems. I had the same problem with a rear window, and when I took off the door panel, the motor was disconnected. No reason, and when I reconnected it, the window worked.
Obviously, your problem is not the same, especially when they were working before, so for a few $$$$ it will be worth it to get it fixed.
Good luck
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 PM

1997 C230
Maybe the next step is to take it to a shop that specializes in electrical problems. I had the same problem with a rear window, and when I took off the door panel, the motor was disconnected. No reason, and when I reconnected it, the window worked.
Obviously, your problem is not the same, especially when they were working before, so for a few $$$$ it will be worth it to get it fixed.
Good luck

1) Going with your instinct that the Window Comfort Module, Window Switch & Window Motors aren't the issue = Zero Dollars ($0)

2) Looking closely at the Window Comfort Module's Fuse in the rear fuse block to see that, though the circuit didn't break, the corner of the 30 AMP fuse had melted, so I needed a new 30 AMP fuse = 15 CENTS ($0.15)

3) Not taking PTCruiser's advice, which was the obvious thing to do if you wanna shell out stupid amounts of money, which obviously would go against the whole reason of even posting my problem on this forum = PRICELESS!

No love lost PTCruiser, though you offered an innocent, but obvious suggestion which I was trying to avoid by even posting this issue on this forum, the issue is now SOLVED by replacing the fuse... MY WINDOWS ARE BACK!!!! Thanks to all who helped!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 PM

C230
Glad to hear that...........I am a never give up kinda person as well, but electrics are very confusing, and it takes a special person to dig deep enough, and confident enough to go to the end of the road. That's my 0.15 cents worth :-)
Mechanically, I will take on any challenge.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 AM

w202 220CDI
Originally Posted by AJ Benzo
....¨2) Looking closely at the Window Comfort Module's Fuse in the rear fuse block to see that, though the circuit didn't break, the corner of the 30 AMP fuse had melted, so I needed a new 30 AMP fuse = 15 CENTS ($0.15)¨
Thank you AJ...could you let me know what is the fuse number and whether it is in the front box or trunk box?

Going nuts over the same problem for three months!
Thank you
Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM

E300 TD W210. Yamaha fzs600 ,
I believe windows fuse is rear box.