C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Windshield Replacement Horror Story...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Angry Windshield Replacement Horror Story...

Anyone else had a bad windshield experience? I had Harmon Auto Glass replace the windshield in my C280 today and it was a nightmare. I don’t even know where to start:

The first thing that I noticed was that the VIN plate was totally scratched up. Due to the scratches, it is now mostly white and sticks out like a sore thumb on my all black car. As I got closer, I noticed several spots of adhesive on my hood. (fortunately I as able to get this off ASAP w/ some solvent w/o doing any damage to the paint job). The next thing I saw was that the windshield wiper was not put back together correctly and the part that covers the strut was not attached. When I went to fix this, I noticed that both of the plastic grates over the air intake were not attached at all. I touched the first one and it fell out of place. Not only were the grates not put back in properly, but there was adhesive all over them like the guy tried to glue them back into place.

All this and I haven’t even gotten inside the car yet…

I opened the door and I immediately noticed thousands of very tiny glass shards over everything in the interior: the dash, steering wheel, radio & HVAC controls, driver’s & passenger’s seats, floor mats, console, vents etc. (Do these morons carry vacuums with them to clean up this mess?) The guy left a wadded up rag w/ black adhesive all over it in my door panel storage bin (which managed to get black adhesive all over the parchment door panel).

I managed to clean off enough of the larger shards to feel somewhat safe sitting down in the driver’s seat. (at this point I was running late to my appointment and I had to get going). I started the car and as soon as the AC kicked in, all of the glass shards that were covering the vents blew all over me. Fortunately I had my sunglasses on and none of it went into my eyes, but I could hear the little pieces bouncing off my lenses. Lastly, My inspection sticker was completely shredded and is barely legible (can’t wait to get pulled over for this), and they forgot to put my service reminder sticker back.

As you can imagine, I was quite mad at the installer (and at the way that Harmon offered to correct the problem – I actually had to drive the car to them to clean it up and my VIN plate and grates are still F’d up). It’s clear that this guy had absolutely no clue what he was doing, and that Harmon has no clue how to satisfy their customers. To think that my insurance and local dealer recommended them is scary. At least I got a genuine OEM windshield.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1968 cadillac coupe deville calais hardtop
OMG

totally unprofessional job.

only thing to do is call ron cey at:

1-800-THE-LAW-2

sue those monkeys str8
Old 08-15-2003, 04:25 PM

I am sorry to hear about that. I never had experience with the front window, but had the back window changed, and all went fine.

Good Luck,

pks485
Old 08-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

C280
Good Idea. I'll hit 'em with the biggest lawsuit they've seen in years. Maybe I can find a couple of other unsatisfied customers and turn it into a class action. I'll add the insurance company and my dealer to the suit since they recommended Harmon.

I'd settle out of court for a new SLR.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1968 cadillac coupe deville calais hardtop
Originally posted by branshew
I'd settle out of court for a new SLR.
don't forget the 40 and a pack of envelopes...

(thats from friday btw, when crackhead ezelle fakes a fall in the store and wants to sue, but will settle out of court)

but for real, see if u can't get comped somehow for this... this... completely tragic and ugly disaster...

that sucks man... good luck
Old 08-16-2003, 01:50 PM

98 MB C280
hey, that sux. i work at a car dealer and we deal with wrecked cars and we replace alotta front windshields and they do a great job. u should sue that guy. SLR only? man get u some pain and suffering for messin up the car ,(get u a maybach , slr and some $mil) haha