C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Windows electrical problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w201
Windows electrical problem

Ye!
The windows only goes down or up with the doors open!

Any idea?

Thanks
JJ
C250TD
Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280
The windows are controlled by the CAN system. When they malfunction you can reset the whole system by removing the negative battery cable (in the trunk) for 30 seconds.

Your windows will then work on the first detent (manual up or down). Only once you press them in the fully up position till you hear a slight click will the auto-open or auto-up/auto-down features then work. You also need to cycle the vent part of the sunroof full open for a moment, again waiting for the slight click that indicates the system has learned the correct position.

Be prepared to input your radio code (in the owner's packet).

I have read where the right rear window motor + controller is the usual fault on this fully computerized system - but I have become skilled at resetting mine and I just accept that like any old computer, the W202 needs to be rebooted once in a while to maintain full operating condition.

I hope this information helps - and would you please post anything new you learn? There are five or so of us across several forums with similar problems.