C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1994 C280 Fan Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36
1994 C280 Fan Clutch Replacement

Over the past few months I have noticed that my car had been down on power. The power was down only enough where an owner would notice. I did notice that when the power was down I could hear the fan roaring away. That brings me to the first replacement fan clutch. To be fair I got a bit cheap and purchased a new but non-OEM fan clutch from an online parts supplier. There was a choice of Original Mercedes or a aftermarket brand and I selected the aftermarket one as it was half the price of the Mercedes unit. Turns out the fan clutch was locked or coupled constantly and I would sound like a UPS truck driving down the road. Even at RPMs above 5k the fan wouldn't uncouple. Since the fan clutches must be stored vertically I wasn't sure if a replacement would get damaged in shipment so I bit the bullet and purchased one at the dealer. Since I was doing the job again I figured I would snap some pictures in the event someone was looking for information on the older 8mm hex head style fan clutch mount which I believe was used from 94-96. I completed the second fan clutch in about 40 minutes start to finish including clean up. To be fair I had two Mercedes specialty tools. One to hold the pully and the other was a shallow 8mm hex.

First you need to remove the fan shrouding from the radiator. It splits in half and each half will fit between the fan and the radiator. I unbolted the radiator support to get just a bit more wiggle room (you will see why soon). There are two 10mm nuts on either side of the core support. Next is to get a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator, otherwise the radiator fins will take a beating, fit the pulley rod to lock the fan pulley. Here is where I disconnected what I believe is the Camshaft sensor. There is a groove in the fan bearing housing specifically for the locking rod. In my case I placed the locking rod i the right place and turned the fan mounting nut until the pulley rod locked the pulley. Fit the special 3/8 drive shallow 8mm hex to a 3/8 breaker bar and sneak it into position. As you can see there is hardly any extra space. The mounting nut is not reverse threaded so simply break the nut loose. Once out of the car there are three 5mm hex head bolts that hold the fan blades to the fan clutch. Here of course is your standard service manual statement......reverse these steps to replace the fan clutch.

Special 8mm Hex with 3/8 Breaker bar

Pulley lock

Pulley Lock installed, sensor connector unhooked for clearance

Pulley Lock different angle (handle over thermostat housing)

Hex socket on mounting nut....living dangerously with no cardboard

Protected radiator