C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1994 c180 won't idle stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014 | 10:37 PM

1994 c180
1994 c180 won't idle stalls

hi everyone, I've searched the forum and can't seem to come up with this issue or year. The car is a 03/94 c180.

it runs smooth, but when starting needs a good boot of throttle to start, and then if you don't get it right, it will stall. if you are very gentle on the pedal it will start and run smooth, so its not a rough idle, it just won't keep going!. after a bit of a drive it will idle sometimes, but not consistently. it does seem better when warmer. i live in the tropics so not cold weather starts anyway.

plugs have been replaced, but thats about it. i only just got the car and i didn't pay much for the car and don't want to spend too much unless its worth it!

its done 147000 kms, and prob not that well looked after recently, but seems to have alright power and runs smooth when the revs are up. the auto is pretty jumpy, will do a fluid change if i can get the engine sorted!

if i pull off a vacuum line on the fuel regs it idles up, so don't know if they're involved, haven't cleaned throttle body yet, removing the maf sensor doesn't seem to change idle either.

there are a lot of lights on on the dash, 4 of them have no symbol on the right, the others are coolant level, windscreen washer level, but they all go off after about 4 mins of running, until the engine is restarted (or stalled!)

have also pulled out over voltage relay and resoldered contacts, fuse was not blown.

and help/ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated!
josh
Old 02-12-2014 | 10:39 PM

1994 c180
also is there diagnostic gear available for this, i think it is just pre obd? can't find an obd port anyway! also no MB dealer or agent in the town i live in