C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Cold weather bugs or something else

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Cold weather bugs or something else

OK. This is the first time I've had the C280 in the cold weather (I know, the 32 Deg in VA is nothing compared to up North.)

Yesterday when I filled up the gas tankit was about 40 degrees outside. I turned the car on afterward and the fuel gauge stayed at the bottom. The low fuel indicator light did turn off though. I kept driving and made a few more stops. Every time I restarted, the gauge stayed at the bottom. The 4th time I re-started the car, the low fuel indicator lamp came on and the gauge was still stuck on the bottom. I parked it for a while and re-started on the way back home and everything came up like normal registering a full tank. It is still working fine today.

Is this a problem that I should worry about, or a one time fluke? I am still under Starmark until July 04 so it would be covered.

I was driving today (30 degrees) and heard a cyclical screeching/rubbing noise from the rear passenger wheel well. I thought I had picked up something on the road. I drove for about a mile with the noise until I could stop. When I stopped to check it out, I could see nothing interfering with the wheel or anything out of place. I started the car back up and drove a couple of blocks and the noise disappeared.

Maybe a bearing wasn't getting grease as needed since it was cold and the grease was more viscous than normal? Any ideas. Anyone else experience any cold weather bugs?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Cold weather bugs or something else

Originally posted by branshew
OK. This is the first time I've had the C280 in the cold weather (I know, the 32 Deg in VA is nothing compared to up North.)

Yesterday when I filled up the gas tankit was about 40 degrees outside. I turned the car on afterward and the fuel gauge stayed at the bottom. The low fuel indicator light did turn off though. I kept driving and made a few more stops. Every time I restarted, the gauge stayed at the bottom. The 4th time I re-started the car, the low fuel indicator lamp came on and the gauge was still stuck on the bottom. I parked it for a while and re-started on the way back home and everything came up like normal registering a full tank. It is still working fine today.

Is this a problem that I should worry about, or a one time fluke? I am still under Starmark until July 04 so it would be covered.

I was driving today (30 degrees) and heard a cyclical screeching/rubbing noise from the rear passenger wheel well. I thought I had picked up something on the road. I drove for about a mile with the noise until I could stop. When I stopped to check it out, I could see nothing interfering with the wheel or anything out of place. I started the car back up and drove a couple of blocks and the noise disappeared.

Maybe a bearing wasn't getting grease as needed since it was cold and the grease was more viscous than normal? Any ideas. Anyone else experience any cold weather bugs?
Hey there,
Alright, low down on the gas gauge thing. earlier w202's gas gauges malfunctioning were somewhat common too. The sender unit may be going bad? Maybe something to check out at next oil change or service.

As for the screeching noise, I've had that happen to me before, except it was up front somewhere. I thought too that I had picked up something, like a twig or stick stuck in the wheel well, but nothing was there. The noise went away after a few days and hasn't been back since (that was about 2 years ago)...so maybe just the cold air had dried up some grease or something of the sort.

Yes, 32 is nothing compared to right now...it's at a constant 14-19 degree's day and night now...and it's here to stay throughout the weekend :p

-G-
Old 01-08-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Cold weather bugs or something else

Originally posted by GDawgC220
Yes, 32 is nothing compared to right now...it's at a constant 14-19 degree's day and night now...and it's here to stay throughout the weekend :p
we have single digit lows here in NJ.. dont know whats going on. it was 60 this past weekend.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Re: Re: Cold weather bugs or something else

Originally posted by ricerokets4life
we have single digit lows here in NJ.. dont know whats going on. it was 60 this past weekend.
lol...gonna be single digits here in a few hours. Tomorrow night, negative 10 degrees

-G-
Old 01-08-2004, 08:27 PM

Single digits? My wife's 95 says that it is 42 degrees all year round here near DC. Hrm, I guess that's my only complaint (beyond the crappy bose stereo) about the car.

-Tad
Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Re: Cold weather bugs or something else

Originally posted by branshew

Shortly after I got my second StarMarked W202, just after I filled it, my gas gauge went from Full to Zero in 15 min. I was sure I had broken a fuel line, and dumped my whole tank of gas on the highway. Needless to say, the probem happened intermittantly. MB dealer replaced both of the fuel level sending units in the fuel tank. Haven't had the problem re-occur. BTW I am told the the fuel sending unit on the side of the Fuel Filler is the one that checks for your fuel cap being on, and lights the Check Engine Light if you leave the cap off.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300 (prev 99 C43 AMG)
The needle could just be sticking to the post that it rests on. Mine does it in very cold and very hot weather.