C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Two new issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 1998 c230
Two new issues.

Ive got two new issues with my 1998 c230 (naturally aspirated). Ill address the most important first. My abs and bas lights came on one day. not sure why. my brakes seem to be making this funny squealing sound. I've done the rear pads and the sound is still there. the front pads and rotors have plenty of life left on them. another thing. how close should the pads be to the rotors when the brakes are not applied. also when i had new tires put on the front the guy stripped one of the lug nut sockets because it was over torqued. I was able to get it out but im unable to get it all the way back in. this is a problem because i live in another town and cant take it to them to have them fix it. also does anybody know how to get to the windshield wiper motor?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
As a suggestion, check the brake wear sensors. Each caliper has one.

The caliper will set the distance. If the rotors were turned, you may need a shim to compensate for the amount of metal removed if they were turned. Also, I believe there are pads that are over sized in thickness to compensate for just such a situation.
Regarding the lug nuts, and if part of it was broken off (highly unlikely) then you need an easy out tool and a drill. A job I wouldn't want to do as the lug nuts are super hard steel. If all the lug nut came out, the it would be a case of running a tap down the treads to clean it up.

The tap should be the upper right style in the photo. It has a flat bottom.

Here is the Youtube link for the wiper motor question
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-004

Hope that helps
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 1998 c230
one other thing, the cruise control is not working. this is making me think that the Abs and bas lights are on because of the brake lamp switch. mainly because when you apply the slightest pressure to the brake pad while the cruise is on it will cut off the cruise control
Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Sort of a contradictory statement ?????
You say the cruise doesn't work, but then you say when you touch the brake it cuts off the cruise control. It certainly could be the brake light switch situation interrupting the cruise.
How you attack that, I am not sure, as electrics are not my area of expertise.
I think it should be simple enough.

Last edited by ptcruiser; 04-20-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling