C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1999 C230 Longevity Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Compressor, 2008 CLK350 Cabriolet, 2012 C250 Sport Sedan
1999 C230 Longevity Question

My question is how long these W202's are lasting in terms of mileage?

I am the original owner of a 1999 C230 Kompressor sedan with 98500 miles which has been maintained according to schedule, primarily kept garaged, still drives quite nicely, and shows no signs of faltering. The only repair in 17 years has been replacement of the Mass Airflow Sensor at around 90000 miles.

Due to its age, however, the car is beginning to show signs of wear. The oil pan is leaking, and the struts apparently are leaking also. I would think that at the vehicle's current mileage additional wear and tear items will begin to manifest themselves.

If this class of Mercedes has a history of significant longevity, then I can justify having the repair done, even though it may exceed the value of the car. So, I am curious to know from those of you who have these vehicles that may have considerable mileage, how well your cars are holding up, and what problems begin to surface around the 100,000 mile benchmark.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
I believe that with proper maintenance, the vehicle is almost good for most of your life.
Things that generally need replacing are the tie rods, ball joints, rubber suspension bushings, shocks, possibly muffler, brake pads, spark plugs,tires etc. In my opinion, a fairly maintenance free car. The problems you indicated are easy fixes.
I have 135,000 miles, and no complaints. It may not have all the whistles and bells of newer models, but for small dollars you can easily add some of today's tech items, like Bluetooth. We are talking about a resale value in the mid $3000.00 mark. What can you buy today that will give the the same type of engineering, comfort, and longevity for that kind of money. I have a lot of people ask me if I will sell my C230, and unless they were to give me 3 times what the selling price is, my answer is a firm NO.
That is my opinion
Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 PM

Thanks Pt. The car is well balanced with good power to weight ratio, good visibility,and a nice shift pattern once it warms up. I noticed that you did not indicate engine, supercharger, transmission or other major component issues so that is encouraging. And, at my age, the car may have more life left than I do. I did replace the stock cassette player with a nice Kenwood "all everything" unit so I have entertainment galore. I call the car a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looks like it will occupy space with its other MB brothers for some time to come.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 PM

C230
I have had no major component issues. Actually, I over service the car, and I would rather spend a dime now, than a dollar late. I would guess that I am equal or probably older than you, so I give it at best, about another 10 years if lucky, according to the life span charts.
Based on your grammar and presentation of the questions, my assumption was your not from the backwoods :-)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 PM

Not "backwoods" at all. This particularly kept car seems to have an exceptional blend of reliability and driveability and I've chosen to keep it around. I've had an opportunity to trade it in, but instead added to it. It seems very well engineered, and my main concern is whether its track record indicates it will be cost effective to maintain. Sounds like it will be.

Last edited by gsxatc; 05-24-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:35 PM

C230
Nice to have talked.
Regards
Brian Wilson
Antigua, Guatemala
Old 05-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Brian--Thanks for your technical insight. While I have driven many, many miles during my lifetime, I lack mechanical expertise on anything other than a very rudimentary level. As a result, DIY tasks on my automobiles are usually confined to such things as changing light bulbs, and maybe an occasional fuse; therefore, maintenance comes directly from my pocket book. However, the useful information provided by you and others throughout this board have given me guidance as to how I want to tackle a particular task: try it myself, or pay to have it done. It looks like my '99 will be around awhile longer.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:57 PM

C230
I believe that we create our own mental blocks when things are unknown, or appear overly complicated. Mechanical things are basically logic, as long as it's not on-board computer related, which is where I throw up my hands. DIY has the feeling of personal accomplishment when you turn on the switch, and it actually works. For me, it's a therapy session on a nothing to do Sunday.
When I bought my C230 on line, I picked it up in Miami and drove it back. The car was overstated from the seller, and need a lot of work. The previous owner did little maintenance, and I had a list that went on for miles that needed attention, or repair.
My saving grace was my background, as I was a licensed mechanic back in 1959.
Several career changes later, cars are still my passion, and I completely redid everything over a few months. The car is immaculate in all details, and a pleasure to own and drive. Aside from an engine or transmission tear down, I am sure you can fix anything with a little step by step thought. YouTube is a great help, as you can see the steps for most repairs, and just follow along. If there is anything specific you want to do, and not spend the money at a garage, just drop a note, and I can, and so can others on the site, give you a step by step to get it done. You will find it rewarding.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 C230
I have a 1997 c230 with 235,000 (85% city) miles. I'm the 1st and only owner.
It has been garage kept 2-3 years, carport or some cover for 10 and out in the florida sun the rest of the time.

Oil change has been done on time, every time but other than that I have only needed routine maintenance and repairs.
I hate to admit but I have not even kept up with Mercedes recommended maintenance routine. I'm on my 2nd battery and 2nd spark plug.

I just looked at a list of things I need to be done.
I am passing the car on to my soon-to-be 16yr old so now I'm trying to make sure things are in tip-top shape. Tip-top for a '97.
The car drives smooth, it has been more reliable than I can say.
I often hear that I'm just lucky but since I don't believe in luck - let's just say the car likes me.

The lower control arm bushings need to be done right now, this is the most "major" thing in it's lifetime.
The paint job was re-done a few years ago, there are a few rust spots by the sunroof and dry-rot of the seat belt assembly cover. Just minor BS that shouldn't even get mentioned here.

I don't use premium gas but I also don't drive it like an as****e.
It has never been dealer maintained but if something felt or sounded funky, I have NEVER let it go.

I'm sure my daughter will want something new in a year or so - I plan on getting the c230 back at that time.
The following users liked this post:
Chedman13 (08-17-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 PM

1999 C230 Kompressor/1993 300E
Originally Posted by gsxatc
My question is how long these W202's are lasting in terms of mileage?

I am the original owner of a 1999 C230 Kompressor sedan with 98500 miles which has been maintained according to schedule, primarily kept garaged, still drives quite nicely, and shows no signs of faltering. The only repair in 17 years has been replacement of the Mass Airflow Sensor at around 90000 miles.

Due to its age, however, the car is beginning to show signs of wear. The oil pan is leaking, and the struts apparently are leaking also. I would think that at the vehicle's current mileage additional wear and tear items will begin to manifest themselves.

If this class of Mercedes has a history of significant longevity, then I can justify having the repair done, even though it may exceed the value of the car. So, I am curious to know from those of you who have these vehicles that may have considerable mileage, how well your cars are holding up, and what problems begin to surface around the 100,000 mile benchmark.

Thanks.

160k on mine and still no problems i was surprised to hear that user never uses Premium gas in his i have ever since the day i got it.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM

This apparently was a pretty solid class. It's nice to know that a 17 year old investment was a good one. My '99 still looks like new, so it seems, with proper upkeep, I"ll have a new looking, good running, old car. Got to like it.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by outlawslaw1
160k on mine and still no problems i was surprised to hear that user never uses Premium gas in his i have ever since the day i got it.
Right around the time I bought the car I was reading about how combustion engines work, compression ratios, etc. In my infinite wisdom (all 23 year olds think they have infinite wisdom - right?) I decided that premium gas was a waste of money. I have been schooled by my more mechanically inclined elders since, proven over and over that I'm wrong but I have never had a problem, so I have not changed my ways.
I do however get pretty irate when someone slams the door too hard.

Last edited by heni1022; 06-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM

C230
And puts their hands on the window and pillar post when they are slamming it!