C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Engine wont start, electricity problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz 180c w202
Unhappy Engine wont start, electricity problem

Mercedes bens 180c (w202, 1994)

Car wont start, battery changed one day ago. one month ago, under rear view mirror there are two small light (one is blue , other is red) that starts blinking red and blue similtanously whenever i turn the key on when starting the car or whenever i press the infra remote key to lock or to unlock the doors.

We are in a very cold winter, but even one month ago it was not that cold and i remember couple of times when pressing the IR key wont open the car doors, and there was no indication it was going through no matter how close i am to then car. By the when it is working , it does only if i am very close to the side mirror.

couple of days ago, the the car did not start making the noise just before starting, again whaiting almost 24 hours in the cold , and trying again the car starts sudenlly and for the up comping 6 hours no issue. Staying in the cold again for 9 hours, this time with a brand new battery no starting or blinking(when using the IR key to unlock the car) could be achieved, lights of the driver seats are ok, sound pump or similar when starting the car is also ok, ignition starts but not enough to start the engine. the battery red light is also there after turning the key. that red light suggests that the battery is not doing well although new.

The IR keys lithium battery has been changed 2 months ago.

There was some claims that there might be corrosion on the connectors to the battery, but i have checked that, they are holding well and no rust.

Do anyone has any suggestions on this ? i think even the mechanitiant would be perplexed with this, just saying.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E430
The light on the rearview mirror must be green or the car will not start. If not, the car will turn-over, but won't fire. It is the anti-theft device. If the key fob isn't making this happen, either the battery in the key fob is the problem, the key fob itself, or the receiver/anti-theft device. I'd start looking those places first.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Check fuse 27 and 35