C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

New electrical problems!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
New electrical problems!?

Today when leaving a parking lot my W202 1998 C230 wouldn't up-shift. Then I noticed that the turn signals, hazards, and power windows also wouldn't function. A/C and radio still work.

Things I tried:
Disconnected battery for several minutes, nothing.
Napa tested the battery (per the associate it was only a little weak), alternator, and starter all working fine.

Driving the car gently I was able to get the tranny to start shifting, however I noticed while stopped the windows/signals etc. would work, but once rolling they cut off again.

All electrics function with key in position 2, but once started I experience these issues.

Has anybody dealt with this before? Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Blinker switch most likely. I have the same issue.

When my blinkers go out, I am am most of the time able to get them to come back on by flashing the high beams a few times.

Im planing to replace the whole assembly behind the st. wheel soon.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Originally Posted by PJmak
Blinker switch most likely. I have the same issue.

When my blinkers go out, I am am most of the time able to get them to come back on by flashing the high beams a few times.

Im planing to replace the whole assembly behind the st. wheel soon.
I thought I posted the fix earlier, sorry. It was actually the alternator, I learned through the climate control computer that the alternator was putting out excessive electricity causing the overvoltage protection relay to trip all the car's computers. Simple fix, installed a new alternator and I was back in business.

For those in the future who experience similar wonkiness, there is a hidden menu you can access via the digital climate control screen (I forget which button press to pull it up) to read the car's "vital signs," through this and the help of other forum member's posts, I was able to determine that the voltage, despite the test results at Napa, were off. Normal range shouldn't read less than 12 but less than 15, mine was at 16 volts. Since I didn't have the time to order a voltage regulator I just bought the whole alternator ( a reman'd Bosch) and installed it myslef, along with a new serpentine belt.

Last edited by mbguyw202; 03-27-2017 at 03:20 PM.