C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

'95 c36 or '00 c230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
i think a honda civic would be the best bet if youre gonna switch cars, considering your car is going to be a daily commuter and gas is getting relatively expensive. otherwise, stick with the 220.
I was thinking of a civic, for the price i'd pay for the C36, i could get a fully loaded civic :p

but the 220 has been a great daily commuter, enough power to overtake people on the highway and good for city driving. nice ride and decent handling to get around.

the 220 will last for a while and is good on gas.

maybe it is best to keep it till it dies.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
why GDAWG why

say it aint so?!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GDawgC220
that's what i'm thinking as well. We've put a bunch on money into it over the years (headgasket, EGR valve, fuel controller, lower control arms, bushings, etc, etc). There's only a few more minor things to fix with the car and it's pretty much brand new (ball joints and motor mounts are worn out).

that thing can go on and on and on I love my 220. Tough decisions, but I won't know for another month or so anyhow, so I got plenty of time to think about it
None of the extra work will add up to the cost of a new one and its maintenance. Especially if you are still in school and money is an issue right now. My brother drove a little mazda from his jryear in HS until he got his PHD at Purdue.

But......If you were going to sell it, how much would you ask?:p
Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 PM

If you had to get a new one civic would be a great choice too. But get a stick shift, I've read that Honda's auto trannies have been failing.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
ahopeter - I know it's sad I really really would like a C36 and have dreamed of an AMG ever since I got into MB. But, money is an issue and i'm still in college right now. There will always be chances when I get out in 2007 (5 year school, i'm a sophmore right now) I haven't totally cut it out of thought, but something on the back burner

SLCPUNK - I think over the years (3 years total since I got it) that my parents and I've put into the 220 (about 8 grand right now) probably would have been a good down payment on a new or used one :p

I did learn stick finally in my friend's honda accord. Only stalled once So now that I know, I would like to pick a stick shift car sometime.

I honestly don't know how much I would ask for it, lol. I mean, a lot of work has been put into it and it's in pretty good condition (the front end needs some repainting as rock chip central I call it on the bumper and parts of the hood.) The interior is pretty much perfect, no rips, no tears, still smells nice like MB leather. The leather is soft and plush, better than our ML leather Everything still works fine and to the addition of my stereo system I put in.

I acutally did a pricing report to entertain the idea of a trade in...it gave me 3 grand trade, dealer could probably fetch about 6-7 grand for it. I guess around 5 grand?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 PM

Off the top of my head I'm guessing you could sell it around 5k, but not much over. I'd have too look at KBB and what matters (to me anyway) is what other make/model/years are selling for. But you are probably in the right range.

On the other MB forum the c220 has come up as one of the most reliable MBs built recently. With that in mind I may consider one for myself in another year or so. Especially with gas going up the way it is....
Old 04-11-2004, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by SLCPUNK
Off the top of my head I'm guessing you could sell it around 5k, but not much over. I'd have too look at KBB and what matters (to me anyway) is what other make/model/years are selling for. But you are probably in the right range.

On the other MB forum the c220 has come up as one of the most reliable MBs built recently. With that in mind I may consider one for myself in another year or so. Especially with gas going up the way it is....
yeah, IMHO, i find it pretty reliable. it's never left me stranded, except once in my own driveway and that was the HFM fuel controller that went dead so no fuel was getting pumped into the engine other than that, below zero or above 100, still runs just fine and starts every time in those harsh conditions.

gas is getting expensive, $1.89 - $1.99 here in MA. I get roughly 350 mi / tank (thats with combo of granny driving and flooring it )

I haven't seen many 220's for sale except on ebay. local dealers and used car places have 280's and c230's more than 220's :p I guess they're still on the road I've seen a bunch of 220's around here.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get the C36...

If it was me purchasing, I'd buy the C36 in a heartbeat. I just got my car serviced at Hatch & Sons and saw that C36, and it is definitely a beautiful car. But c'mon...you're still in college, and your parents shouldn't be burdened with helping to pay for excessively costly repairs that a C36 out of warranty is likely to incur. That's just not the right thing to do given that the decision seems to be yours.

If you get the C36, not only will the repairs be expensive, but it will guzzle gas like a college kid guzzles beer (at least in my case).

Do yourself a favor and keep the C220 until you get a job. If it runs well, and you put a lot of money into it already, you may as well let it take you past the college days.

All these people telling you to get the C36 won't be there to offer their financial assistance when you get your first $2500 repair bill, and considering some of the costs of repairing my C280 Sport, I'm sure the C36 will cost plenty to maintain.

Mike
Old 04-11-2004, 03:43 PM

Re: Don't get the C36...

Originally posted by MichaelB43
If it was me purchasing, I'd buy the C36 in a heartbeat. I just got my car serviced at Hatch & Sons and saw that C36, and it is definitely a beautiful car. But c'mon...you're still in college, and your parents shouldn't be burdened with helping to pay for excessively costly repairs that a C36 out of warranty is likely to incur. That's just not the right thing to do given that the decision seems to be yours.

If you get the C36, not only will the repairs be expensive, but it will guzzle gas like a college kid guzzles beer (at least in my case).

Do yourself a favor and keep the C220 until you get a job. If it runs well, and you put a lot of money into it already, you may as well let it take you past the college days.

All these people telling you to get the C36 won't be there to offer their financial assistance when you get your first $2500 repair bill, and considering some of the costs of repairing my C280 Sport, I'm sure the C36 will cost plenty to maintain.

Mike
Follow this advice.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:43 PM

If you had to get a new one civic would be a great choice too. But get a stick shift, I've read that Honda's auto trannies have been failing.
yes, i dont know about ALL of honda's trannys but a lot of them got some issues that need to be addressed.

the 98-02 6th gen accord's auto tranny (only 1 tranny available) with the J30A1 motor was infamous for problems. luckily, i havent ran into any yet
Old 04-11-2004, 05:25 PM

It's a shame about that too, since they make such great cars. Hope they will straighten it out.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Don't get the C36...

Originally posted by MichaelB43

Mike
that's good advice

I know that I shouldn't burden my parents with more expensive repairs than on my c220. They've helped pay for most of the repairs on my car already, I try pay what I can when problems do arise.

I am interviewing a few more places for my 6 months co-op job (which will bring in about 14g's - 20g's for the 6 months) so I can pay for repairs on my own without my prents help. I just liked to entertain the idea that I could get a new car myself, but I know that isn't likely at this point.

After thinking about the money that we've put into the car in the past three years, it's definately worth it to drive it till it quits.

I appreciate all the advice and support ya'll given me
Old 04-11-2004, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
It's a shame about that too, since they make such great cars. Hope they will straighten it out.
I know Honda's make great cars that just runs and runs forever :p

My friend had a '93 Accord with 180k on the clock. He just traded it in for a Mazda Protege 5 (I think). They gave him a few grand for the Honda. But they do last for sure.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i had a c36 when i was in high school and i have no regrets...actually it is a really great memory for me... im sure it would be for you too.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 PM

I know Honda's make great cars that just runs and runs forever :p

My friend had a '93 Accord with 180k on the clock. He just traded it in for a Mazda Protege 5 (I think). They gave him a few grand for the Honda. But they do last for sure.
I bought and sold cars last year (about 20 or so). I sold maybe 5 hondas. All sold in less than a week. Three of them had well over 200k and drove great. One had 239k and was awesome, it didn't smoke, and drove fast as a top. I met a guy who had a crx with 335k miles on it and you would have thought it was brand new. No major work, just maintenance and wear and tear items. The engine had never been opened up. It's a hassle free car that's for sure.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:01 AM

The C36 is a great car. I once had at it on a set of switchbacks on a mountain road with a Honda S2000, and that shoe-box sports car couldn't shake me no how hard he pushed. And I had room for three hotties and their luggage.

However, the car used a set of Michelin Pilot Sports or S-O2 Pole Positions every 10-12,000 kms. (about 7K-miles on average) Now that was with some extended periods of driving at 250km/h and some very hard mountain driving. But, if you don't use the C36, why own it?

It also used up brake pads and discs. The ASR intervened often and that helped chew up the rear brakes. The rear brake pads and discs alone cost twice as much as ALL FOUR corners for the C230.

Priced out the shocks? It's SHOCKING. (yuk, yuk...) The AMG specific shocks last a long time, but the car sucks when they start to go soft. No buying anything but the AMG bits.

Don't park it where you might get a teeny nick on the AMG body parts. They're expensive to replace or repair.

However, for the price, how else can you get a sedan that is as well made, can run low 14's in the Q and rip to 60 in about 6 seconds? I rolled on against a WRX and the torque of the 3.6 allowed me to walk away. Above 100mph it's so fast it's startling.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the c36 is a great car...and people rolling in newer rice underestimate it for some reason... that is until they get burnt.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Almost a Member!

i'd take the C36 motor in the 230k body + interior! Gotta love the two-tone.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by sicc-made-c32
i'd take the C36 motor in the 230k body + interior! Gotta love the two-tone.
that would be a sweeet project

I think what I may do is just do some small appearance details on my c220 for the remainder of it's life :p I've been eyein' some clear corners for a while and a grille. Most likely clear's would clean up the front a bit

But I still want to test drive the C36...just to get the feel for the power of AMG
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good, test it...cause if you test it, youre gonna buy it.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
My vote is...

1. Keep your car (you know what has been fixed & repaired), or

2. Go for the newer, lower milage, more economical C230.

Save the C36 for a graduation present to yourself.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Ahopeter - You sound like a salesman I know it's an awsome car, but I just can't afford the maintenance right now, at my level of income. But that being said, good things come to those who wait I'm sure in the future all this waiting will pay off with an even better AMG

Sph17 - I am looking to keep my car for now, until it dies or something major breaks and it's just too costly to repair. More economical? I thought that my 2.2 was more economical than the 2.3 :p

I will definately treat myself to something nice when i graduate and it probably will be an AMG
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
More Economical than C36

Ahopeter - You sound like a salesman I know it's an awsome car, but I just can't afford the maintenance right now, at my level of income. But that being said, good things come to those who wait I'm sure in the future all this waiting will pay off with an even better AMG

Sph17 - I am looking to keep my car for now, until it dies or something major breaks and it's just too costly to repair. More economical? I thought that my 2.2 was more economical than the 2.3 :p

I will definately treat myself to something nice when i graduate and it probably will be an AMG
At one time I obtained the MPGs of various years and engines from MB Customer Service, as it was a consideration in my purchase of a W202. My remembrance is that the C220 with the 4 speed AT got about the same (within 1 or 2 MPG) as the C230 with the electronic 5 speed AT.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:02 PM

2000 c230 kompressor

Have decided to buy or not yet?
FYI: I got my c230k in Jan. 2004 with 40,000 mile @ $15,500.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
ningeve, tell us more...what year? sport? also, don't be afraid to get personal: where are you? any pics of the car? (I'm looking for a C230K Sport to keep my 280 company)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '95 c36 or '00 c230