C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

My 1998 W202 C280 won't start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 c30 and c280
My 1998 W202 C280 won't start.

Good day,

I've recently bought a 1998 c280 and have been trying to get her to run. According to the seller it stood still for 6 months.
It drove very slugish under 2000 rpm so I scanned her.
7 faults, one being the airflow sensor.
For the past 2 weeks I've been trying to get her to start but nothing is working.
I've gotten rid of all the faults. New air flow sensor. New plugs, new injectors, crankshaft sensor, etc.
If any one has any clues on why she won't start, please give me a clue.
Here is a video of what happens when I try to start her:
Old 11-20-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 C280
hmmm. cranks, starts but won't continue running would be my description. I'd look into fuel pressure. Not really well versed with how MB controls the fuel pump, but it must first build pressure to enable starting (which it seems to do since you can start from cold) then "something" has to latch on and keep the pump running. Possibly the crank position sensor?

I assume you cleared all codes that came with the car, are there any new ones?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1999 C230K
It does sound like it's starved for fuel. If the car sat for six months the fuel is that old. Your fuel filter could have been partially clogged, making it sluggish, and then finally clogged up enough to block adequate fuel flow while you did the repairs. The thing to do is to check your fuel pressure with the engine off and the ignition on. If it's good, and I think it will be, see how it goes when you try to start it. If it drops radically, change the fuel filter.
But, damn! That engine looks clean!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
99 C43
Originally Posted by cgshawaii
hmmm. cranks, starts but won't continue running would be my description. I'd look into fuel pressure. Not really well versed with how MB controls the fuel pump, but it must first build pressure to enable starting (which it seems to do since you can start from cold) then "something" has to latch on and keep the pump running. Possibly the crank position sensor?

I assume you cleared all codes that came with the car, are there any new ones?
He is exactly right, spray some starting fluid into the air intake manifold, if the car stays on longer than what is in the video, then pretty sure its the fuel pump, you can also tap the fuel pump with something and it might run for a bit to get you to the shop, etc.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Benz Experts

I'm having a huge issue with my C280 Luxury 2006.
Here is a 2min video of the issue

It won't crank or start at all. As soon as I put the key into the 3rd ignition position. The car wont crank BUT the COOLER FAN is sounding LOUD like a Jet Turbine.

I did the following changes:
1. Checked and Boosted the Battery
2. Fully charged the battery for 45mins at advanced auto parts
3. Checked all fuses and replaced any that had issues
4. Replaced Fuse 52 for a new 20amp one
5. Checked ignition relays and put new Siemens relays.
6. I don't know what else to do

I took it to the Dealership for a mercedes recall on the sunroof that was detaching and not working. They took 4 hours to work on my car. They said they needed some glue. I took it back from the dealership for the 14 mile drive.

Since then the car won't turn on at all.

Please all your help is appreciated.