C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Seized Crankshaft sensor... did i just drill a hole in my engine? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 w202 c280
Seized Crankshaft sensor... did i just drill a hole in my engine? HELP!!

okay so what was supposed to be a 15min CPS change turned out to be a ****ING NIGHTMARE. I have a m112 v6. My crankshaft sensor is seized in the block and no matter what i do it wont even budge! i tried vice grips, needle nose pliers, pb blaster and liquid wrench that soaked for days. I was able to get a good grip and pull, and i mean i was REALLY pulling. I was pulling so hard it felt like i had no sensation in my wrist.. i imagined myself dead lifting 445lb for a triple, but still the CPS wouldn't even move. By this point the top plastic were the connector plugs in, broke off leaving only two metal prongs in the middle exposed. so i weighed in my options and figured i should try and drill in the middle of the CPS to try and get the metal out the middle, hoping this is what was causing the seize. so i grabbed a 12" drill extension and put a 3'16th bit on the end. now i knew before taking the drill to the sensor i would have to be VERY careful to drill directly through the center and not in the engine block. especially considering im using metal cutting drill bits. i started to apply little pressure in the middle of the censor (in between the two metal prongs that were sticking out) and before i knew it, i felt the drill bit sink into a whole. I instantly felt like a ****ed something up MAJOR. well my dreaded nightmares came true. the drill went through the cps at a wrong angle causing it to go through the top part of the bell housing were the 8m torx screw goes. Long story short i am able to see threw the 8m hole into the new hole that i drilled. here is a video so you can get a better understanding.

In the video you can see the first hole were the torx screw goes threw and the second hole that i drilled

So what do i do now? did i completely **** myself? is this repairable and what does it require?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
remove engine or transmission.. remove busted pieces of crankshaft position sensor and clean everything up. Recheck any damage and see if you can just re-thread the hole with an insert. Not going to be fun or easy unless you have access to a lift and some tools.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 w202 c280
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
remove engine or transmission.. remove busted pieces of crankshaft position sensor and clean everything up. Recheck any damage and see if you can just re-thread the hole with an insert. Not going to be fun or easy unless you have access to a lift and some tools.
if pulling the engine or transmission is the only fix to this my vehicle might just be a total loss. at this point i dont know if its worth fixing
Old 05-18-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 c230
Wow that was really a stupid thing to do, something i would try.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
That's what happens when you think you know what you doing instead of paying someone who actually knows what they doing.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 / C280
I'm working on a 2006 C280 with 100k . Crank no start. Attempted to remove CPS by hand. No way it was going to come out easily. Read the horror stories and figured how to get this off drama free. I used a 24" Heavy Duty Cable Tie from Harbor Freight
I looped it around the sensor rite below where the connector goes. After securing it around the sensor I took the long end and wrapped it around the center of a pair of long needle nose pliers and pulled real real hard. I was standing next to the drivers fender not on top of the motor. Came right out.