C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

2000 C230 Key will not turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
2000 C230 Key will not turn

I recently bought a ‘00 C230 that had some minor problems- rough idle, charging problems, and some other cosmetic things. I spent about a month getting it back in order.
Been driving the car about two weeks with no issues. Runs great, gets great mileage, the whole nine yards.
Yesterday evening I parked the car with the windows and sunroof down, and went inside for a few minutes. When I returned, the key wouldn’t turn.
The steering wheel is relatively straight and has some play- I don’t think this is the issue. My key fob still unlocks and locks the car and functions as usual. When the key is inserted into the car, you can hear a small “click” in the steering column...
Battery is charged. Tried jumping the car, charging and disconnecting battery, no luck.
I am not sure where to go from here. Ordering a new key from Mercedes is a $260 maybe... I don’t even know if that’s the issue.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 PM

1996 c220 manual
What kind of key do you have? is it an actual key that you insert in the cilinder? if so, you will have to get the whole cylinder in order to get it to work, i had that problem with my 1996 c220 and it was a pain in the ***
if you have the other kind of key, the one that you insert in a squared shaped hole, you will have to go to de dealership with proof of ownership of the car, it will cost you about that, 260 bucks.
some dealerships won't accept just paper proof of ownership, you will have to get the car to them
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

c230
I was able to fix this issue and it was very strange... I took apart the panel underneath the steering wheel to expose the column and steering column lock.
When the key is inserted, the “click” I heard was coming from the steering wheel lock... it was trying to unlock but was for some reason stuck.
When I put my hand on the mechanism, I could feel the motor inside trying to pull the little metal slider out of the column.
This meant the key, key slot, and computer were working - Since the key was recognized it was just a failure with the lock mechanism.
I found that the issue was actually the bolt which runs through the steering wheel lock mechanism to hold it onto the column- this bolt has a “slot” cut into it for the metal lock slider to go through- designed to prevent the assembly from being removed while still locked. This bolt had become slightly rotated, trapping the slider in the locked position.
Tapping the bolt into the correct position caused it to unlock and the car works perfectly.

Hope this helps to anyone considering expensive repairs...
Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

1996 c220 manual
glad to hear you get it running again