C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

94' C280 Leaking Oil, P1341 CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C280
94' C280 Leaking Oil, P1341 CEL

Hey all, got a 1994 C280 with around 80K, I purchased it around 4 months ago at 77K. After the long drive home there was smoke coming from the right side of the engine closer to the windshield, and it occasionally still happens after the car gets hot. Car has been dropping oil underneath for a while now but the engine oil level hasn't changed a bit. Any clues?

Also, CEL came on a month or two ago and got it scanned last night, came up as a P1341, something to do with the camshaft position actuator, not sure if it's related to above problem. Not sure what exactly the source of the code is yet but regardless I yanked out the camshaft position sensor to give it a look and as I pulled it off the metal gasket fell off and down into the engine. Being in a rush and unable to even find it I threw it back in without it because my sister had to borrow it for a few miles. The sensor did however have a silver ring like exposed metal or something around the male part covered in oil, not sure if this is normal or not.

The car sometimes revs high on a cold start, and occasionally is a bit sluggish to pick up when I try to speed up out of a corner, but other than that the engine purrs like a kitten. The idle sounds very smooth and strong

Firstly, is it okay to drive around without the gasket? or will it mess something up? Secondly, how do I tell if my camshaft sensor is bad? Thirdly, what the hell is happening to my car? Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by JonnyE
Hey all, got a 1994 C280 with around 80K, I purchased it around 4 months ago at 77K. After the long drive home there was smoke coming from the right side of the engine closer to the windshield, and it occasionally still happens after the car gets hot. Car has been dropping oil underneath for a while now but the engine oil level hasn't changed a bit. Any clues?

Also, CEL came on a month or two ago and got it scanned last night, came up as a P1341, something to do with the camshaft position actuator, not sure if it's related to above problem. Not sure what exactly the source of the code is yet but regardless I yanked out the camshaft position sensor to give it a look and as I pulled it off the metal gasket fell off and down into the engine. Being in a rush and unable to even find it I threw it back in without it because my sister had to borrow it for a few miles. The sensor did however have a silver ring like exposed metal or something around the male part covered in oil, not sure if this is normal or not.

The car sometimes revs high on a cold start, and occasionally is a bit sluggish to pick up when I try to speed up out of a corner, but other than that the engine purrs like a kitten. The idle sounds very smooth and strong

Firstly, is it okay to drive around without the gasket? or will it mess something up? Secondly, how do I tell if my camshaft sensor is bad? Thirdly, what the hell is happening to my car? Any help greatly appreciated!
Welcome JonnyE,

You're probably referring to the CPS (Crank Position Sensor)
However, if this was pulled out and not reinstalled, you would have crank but no start scenario.

Photos needed since your description is quite vague.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:23 PM

1994 C280
Originally Posted by khomer2
Welcome JonnyE,

You're probably referring to the CPS (Crank Position Sensor)
However, if this was pulled out and not reinstalled, you would have crank but no start scenario.

Photos needed since your description is quite vague.
No it was the camshaft sensor, and it was reinstalled, the only thing that's missing is the gasket for the sensor. I'll add photos as soon as I can.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by JonnyE
No it was the camshaft sensor, and it was reinstalled, the only thing that's missing is the gasket for the sensor. I'll add photos as soon as I can.
Then you need to clarify your history of what you have done so members can read a fully understand your issues are.
GIGO.....
garbage in = garbage out.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 PM

1994 C280
Originally Posted by khomer2
Then you need to clarify your history of what you have done so members can read a fully understand your issues are.
GIGO.....
garbage in = garbage out.
If you actually read what I said, I did say that in the first post, so clearly you didn't completely read it. If you don't want to help me then that's fine but you don't have to be rude and comment stupid **** because you can't take the time to read. Bye now.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
just a rubber o-ring