C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Lubricate the Flywheel??! Huh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mercedes 300E
Lubricate the Flywheel??! Huh?

A friend of mine has a C280 with an intermittent starting problem, and the dealer is telling him that their best guess is that the flywheel needs to be lubricated (my guess is so that it reliably engages with the starter). The car is under a StarMark warranty, but the dealer is telling him that this would not be covered.

My question: Has anyone else with a C Class had this issue, or ever had to lubricate the flywheel? And, does anyone know why MBZ won't fix it under StarMark? The car has always been maintained per the schedule by the dealer. Any insight or advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 AM

1998 C43
I had similar problems with my C43. I took it into the dealer to have it checked out, and they told me the same story. I was not really buying their diagnosis, so I had an indy shop take a look at it. My indy guy proceeded to test my car and eventually tested my battery. He showed me that the volts were dropping and that I might need a new battery. He suggested that b/c I needed a battery, and that it was the cheapest (in terms of seeing what's wrong with my car), to go ahead and buy a new one. Well, I went to the Stealer and got a new battery and swapped it out. Car starts just fine now. It has been about a year since the new battery, and car starts just fine. I only recall once or twice where the car didnt start on the first try. Though, it started up just fine on the second try.

I also need to mention that I told the indy mechanic about Stealer diagnosis, and he checked up with friends of his at the same Stealership and asked about the diagnosis. My mechanic says his friends never heard of that. Take that FWIW.

Bottom line, check with another dealer or indy shop. Never hurts for a second opinion.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 C280
I bet this is what your friend has:
"The starter stops running before the engine is running due to lack of grease on the starter drive gear. (1998)"

That's what I got last year. Took it to an MB Independent shop. He took out the starter and greased it. He also mentioned that he need to re-thread some bolt.
Works since then. He charged me 2 hrs.

Here is a thread for similar issue:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...arting+Problem