C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Instrument Cluster lights not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz c280
Instrument Cluster lights not working

Hey all. I own a 1999 Mercedes Benz c280 that I'm having a bit of a problem with. I recently installed a subwoofer and amp and now my instrument cluster won't light up. The gas gauge, speedometer, the hot and cold gauge, and the gear shift will not light up. However, on my dash the outside temperature, the clock, and the odometer are lit up just fine. I checked the fuses (19, 30) and they are fine. I was thinking maybe the bulbs went out but what are the chances the dash and the gear shift lights all burnt out at the same time? I'm beginning to think it might have to do with the instrument cluster specifically but I'm not sure what to do other than check fuses. If anyone has any recommendations or has experienced this themselves I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice. Trying to avoid having to take out my dash if I can but we will see. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 C280
disconnect subwoofer, see if they come back, you may also wanna remove cluster and switch some bulbs around to confirm the ones that dont work are really bulb issues or something else (subwoofer related). make sure the cluster connector pins are not bent, and that the connection is tight, when reinstalled, check for exposed wires at the cluster