C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

What's the Purpose of this Thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the Purpose of this Thing?

i was looking at my grill the other day and i noticed this rectangular plastic cover on the upper left hand corner of the grill (if youre facing the front of the car). is it ok to remove this? it would significantly help the "ram-air" characteristics of the stock intake.
Attached Thumbnails What's the Purpose of this Thing?-grillcoverback-9-4.jpg   What's the Purpose of this Thing?-grillcoverfront-9-4.jpg  
Old 09-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
i don't really know about the ram air flow thing, but i sort of messed up the install of the grill(n00b I know) but when i screwed in the bottom screw to hold it in place it brought the grill don too much so at the top the latches won't hit the grill and it is not pushed out all the way, needless to say i negated to put both those two plastic crap things on and I don't really notice anything, but I did notice that when I added a new grill, the acc sounded different and it maybe be in my head but I think more air gets in with the avantgrade grill because it does not have as many of whatever those things are called(plastic spacers ****s) but it might make it got faster, bu roughly a factor of .01% (aho correct my if i'm wrong) and thats about it no difference if its there are not, just another part that mb added for no damn reason.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:39 PM

i thought it would help because that thing is basically covering the entire air intake horn
Old 09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by ricerokets4life
i was looking at my grill the other day and i noticed this rectangular plastic cover on the upper left hand corner of the grill (if youre facing the front of the car). is it ok to remove this? it would significantly help the "ram-air" characteristics of the stock intake.
I've seen something like this on other cars too. I think it simply prevents water
from getting sucked in (heavy rain) if blown directly to the front of the car.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Rice, lose the plastic cover...its completely useless. and it will help somewhat with airflow(every little bit counts). also enlarge the rubber opening the is on the car itself, not on the grill... that also helps significantly.

Ashkan, try removing the grill and reinstalling it placing all the screws in their places and tightening all of them once you have all of them screwed in 75%. and the new grill isnt causing any new performance levels or different sounds of induction... sorry. you are most likely hearing different aerodynamic airflow.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey Ashkan, someone is selling brabus springs you were looking for...check out the classified section. just thought id let you know.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ahopeter
Rice, lose the plastic cover...its completely useless. and it will help somewhat with airflow(every little bit counts). also enlarge the rubber opening the is on the car itself, not on the grill... that also helps significantly.
this rubber opening?
Attached Thumbnails What's the Purpose of this Thing?-ramairslottop-9-4.jpg  
Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 AM

The purpose is to keep moisture from entering the intake. This is crucial in cold weather operation to keep the FI system from freezing. Early 190E's did not have this, and needed a modification for severe cold weather usage.

If you live in a temperate climate you could probably modify it with no ill effect, but I doubt you'd realize any HP gains.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackmercedes
The purpose is to keep moisture from entering the intake. This is crucial in cold weather operation to keep the FI system from freezing. Early 190E's did not have this, and needed a modification for severe cold weather usage.

If you live in a temperate climate you could probably modify it with no ill effect, but I doubt you'd realize any HP gains.
that might have been the purpose, but it is useless. i have owned 2 202's and neither of them utilized that part nor did either of them have issues in cold or wet weather. Rice, trust me, i wouldnt direct you wrong.... i know my cars.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rice... yes.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:54 PM

c43
yeah but he was saying 175 plus shipping, which would be like 200 and rpm rev can get me them, but thanks for letting me know, I apperciate it, the rpm rev guy also told me that amg didn't make parts from the c280, but I found a site that was selling springs and shocks, I sent them an email, and I'm waiting on their reply, i'm guessing from what i've read and what the rpm rev guy told me, that AMG is better for performance and brabus is known more for being costly and for its class but I could ve very wrong (aho what do you think) oh and what really sucks was some of the screw fell into the engine bay, but when I get back to the states imma just end up going to home depot and buying something the same size or something, how different can mb screws be from anything else right?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ashkan, just to let you know... the brabus springs probably cost about 400 new.

and be careful with rpm rev... not known as a honest vendor... just giving you a heads up. plus, sounds like he doesnt know what hes really talking about.

his comparison of amg and brabus is somewhat correct... but i believe that the performance of brabus far exceeds that of AMG. and before someone jumps down my throat, i am speaking from experience... i have and do own AMG's and full Brabus conversions.

dont bother who oem stuff from mb like screws... its all overpriced b.s.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:13 PM

C220
Aho- where were you man? I missed you at the meet today. Frank got a great turnout. I was hoping to meet you. Oh well, I say either before winter or this spring we organize another East Coast meet. Oh and btw, asked a euro tech that showed up at the meet about your ram-air idea, he said it's very sound. So there you go rice, second opinion agrees with the master, aho.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ShollyC220
Aho- where were you man? I missed you at the meet today. Frank got a great turnout. I was hoping to meet you. Oh well, I say either before winter or this spring we organize another East Coast meet. Oh and btw, asked a euro tech that showed up at the meet about your ram-air idea, he said it's very sound. So there you go rice, second opinion agrees with the master, aho.
sorry man... i was busying formulating ideas for my new rides.(plus i thought it was yesterday).

euro tech... i dont really care for his opinion... why? 1. im a d1ck. 2. i already knew i was right.

but im definitely down for the next time... if i can remember the right date.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:34 PM

...issues in cold or wet weather.
There is nowhere in the US that would probably get cold enough. At -40C or colder, things are a little different. W201's with M102 engines had a "straight shot" air intake from the grille that would result in freezing of the FI system (throttle plate specifically) in severe cold. The W202 does not suffer from this problem. Also on the W201's the fuel filter housing was too exposed to outside temps, and at below -40C, it would allow any moisture at all inthe fuel to freeze. Using fuel line anti-freeze was mandatory. Again, for the W202, the design was altered.

And again, you can modify it without any penalty, but there will also be little or no gain.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
that might have been the purpose, but it is useless. i have owned 2 202's and neither of them utilized that part nor did either of them have issues in cold or wet weather. Rice, trust me, i wouldnt direct you wrong.... i know my cars.

How do you get rid of the plastic piece? If looks like it's part of the inner
grill plastic.... Can see how it would restrict airflow.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 PM

:Oh and btw, asked a euro tech that showed up at the meet about your ram-air idea, he said it's very sound. So there you go rice, second opinion agrees with the master, aho.
which part? the removing of the plastic cover?

Originally Posted by trbo2nr
:How do you get rid of the plastic piece? If looks like it's part of the inner grill plastic.... Can see how it would restrict airflow.
i havent tried it yet but i think its connected to the grill by a bolt.. other than that it just snaps on.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackmercedes
There is nowhere in the US that would probably get cold enough. At -40C or colder, things are a little different. W201's with M102 engines had a "straight shot" air intake from the grille that would result in freezing of the FI system (throttle plate specifically) in severe cold. The W202 does not suffer from this problem. Also on the W201's the fuel filter housing was too exposed to outside temps, and at below -40C, it would allow any moisture at all inthe fuel to freeze. Using fuel line anti-freeze was mandatory. Again, for the W202, the design was altered.

And again, you can modify it without any penalty, but there will also be little or no gain.
you basically gave the long winded version of what i said in one sentence.

and modification would not go unnoticed. with the mind set of believing modding the intake providing no help is a mind set of someone who lacks experience in performance tuning.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 PM

C220

Blackmercedes- you just got served, courtesy of your waiter, ahopeter.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blackmercedes- you just got served, courtesy of your waiter, ahopeter.
BWAHAHA, Sholly man... that made me laugh pretty damn hard. i mean, i know im a d1ck sometimes, but is it just me or do some people just ask for it? why repeat what he tried to say, and then repeat what i said? i see no point in some posts... unless its to postwhore to get that one extra post count.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:12 AM

blackmercedes was prolly just trying to elaborate on what you said ahopeter. but i disagree on the fact that it will only marginally benefit the intake of air
Old 09-06-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

like i said... i know my cars and performance mods... when i dont know, i shut the f--- up. it will help, and more than mr. black mercedes seems to think.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:24 AM

like i said... i know my cars and performance mods... when i dont know, i shut the f--- up.
lol you dont beat around the bush at all.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricerokets4life
lol you dont beat around the bush at all.
whats the point to being coy?... i speak the truth and sometimes it makes some sensitivity ladies a little upset... oh well. people who get to know me, understand thats how i am... and for the ladies who **** and moan, boo f'in hoo.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
i'm guessing from what i've read and what the rpm rev guy told me, that AMG is better for performance and brabus is known more for being costly and for its class but I could ve very wrong
brabus springs are made by eibach

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the Purpose of this Thing?