C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Brake Pad Light On - Tips on replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Granite Grey c230
Brake Pad Light On - Tips on replacement?

So its starting to go on now everytime I slow to a light, etc.

Any tips on replacement? Do you tihnk its just my front? back too? Does anyone replace the rotors too?

Is it an easy job? Does the light start working once it senses the thicker pads?

thank u for any help.

sanny
Old 11-26-2004, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Sounds like it's brake pad time on the front.... It's a DIY job. I picked up some
pads (see signature) from tirerack and used the old sensor. If you want to replace the sensor, it's like $10. I wasn't aware of the sensor needing replacement and re-used the old one. So far, 3k miles later it's still working and
next to no brake dust.

BTW: I followed the DIY posts on this from one of the benz sites or somewhere
on this board.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't say how many miles are on the car.
Personally, I would replace the front pads, rotors & wear sensors.
You can do all of this for less than $ 200.00.
http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...tion=000326644
Check the pads in the rear, although you normally go thru 2 sets of frontpads, for every set of rear ones.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:37 PM

06 Granite Grey c230
thanks for the replies!

so you need to repalce to wear sensor? or is it reusable?

sorry 63000 miles on this car.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by Sanny
thanks for the replies!

so you need to repalce to wear sensor? or is it reusable?

sorry 63000 miles on this car.

I reused mine since I wasn't aware I needed a new one but for the
price of it and if you can, perhaps just replace it.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:02 PM

1999 C230 Kompressor, 2002 E320 4matic
Its most likely the front pads, I dont think the W202s have wear sensors for the rear pads.
but you should check the brake rotors and measure them to see if they need replacing, also check the rear brakes and see what condition they are in.
you should always replace the brake wear sensor.. especially if you have worn through them (which casues the light to come on, basically you have completed a circuit, the metal of the rotor has worn through the protective coating on the sensor and "grounded out" and your brake pad wear light comes on, on the dash everytime contact is made.
make sure to clean the caliper brackets where the pads sit in, and lube up the backs and edges of the pads (not the actual pad material itself but the edges of the backing plate) so they slide nice and easy and stop squealing.
the caliper bracket bolts should be torqued to 90ft lbs, and the wheel bolts should be torqued to 90ft lbs also.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:15 PM

06 Granite Grey c230
thanks u guys for the reply. u are both right the wear sensor i was quoted 1.50 at mesa performance so i will just go ahead and replace those.

slammed c i checked your car page out and man u have a nice car!

well thank you again. I will do the brake pad change on sat and let you know of my findings.

sanny
Old 11-27-2004, 09:48 PM

SLAMMED C

I don't want to be nit-picking, but the correct torque for the wheel bolts is 82 ft/lbs.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 PM

C280
a few questions as well

I have a few questions as well regarding brake replacemnet. Instead of starting a new thread I'll just ask here. I need to replace my front and rear pads and my front rotors. However, I have never tackled brakes on a mercedes before. So, regarding the sensors, are they easy to replace? Also, how many do I need to buy? Just one sensor or two for each side, since there are none in the rear. I'll continue to look for a DIY on this forum or club 202

thanks guys
Old 03-02-2005, 03:02 PM

06 Granite Grey c230
Originally Posted by 040mercedes
I have a few questions as well regarding brake replacemnet. Instead of starting a new thread I'll just ask here. I need to replace my front and rear pads and my front rotors. However, I have never tackled brakes on a mercedes before. So, regarding the sensors, are they easy to replace? Also, how many do I need to buy? Just one sensor or two for each side, since there are none in the rear. I'll continue to look for a DIY on this forum or club 202

thanks guys
when i did it i found that the sensors were still quite good, i have two brand new sensors here that i am not using. i would send them to you for like 5-10 bucks if you like.

this may sound silly, but during the installation of the front pads, i didnt know that i needed a 7mm hex to undo the calipers, so i had my friend drive me to get that tool. is it 7mm?

other than that quite easy there is a spring that you might have to mess with to get the caliper loose. the sensor is liek the easiest part of the job. i used grease on the back of the pad so it wouldnt squeal, im thinking the rear will be easier? i cannot confirm or deny that the rear has a sensor or not.

good luck!

sanny

ps. does anyone know a good mechanic in the la area besides the dealership? or orange county is fine too.

Last edited by Sanny; 03-02-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:15 PM

Brake Pad light on

Sorry for springing this post, but I am not sure if my car needs new brakes.

I have a 96 c280. How do I find out if my car has this warning light? Where is this light located?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 PM

C280
You should be able to check that in your owners manual, however if you don't have one, its in the bottom left of your cluster. It's a circle with three lines on both sides and lights up orange. If your pads are low, it should come on every time you hit the brakes. The sensor completes a circuit by touching the rotor and the light pops on.

This reminds me, is the sensor easy or hard to replace? What tools do I need to replace it? I also still need to know how many sensors I need to order.

Thanks again

Last edited by 040mercedes; 03-02-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 AM

You should be able to check that in your owners manual, however if you don't have one, its in the bottom left of your cluster. It's a circle with three lines on both sides and lights up orange. If your pads are low, it should come on every time you hit the brakes. The sensor completes a circuit by touching the rotor and the light pops on.

This reminds me, is the sensor easy or hard to replace? What tools do I need to replace it? I also still need to know how many sensors I need to order.

Thanks again
Thanks for pointing that out.
I went through my manual and found what that light looks like.
I was a little bit confused by previous posts here, when the sensor lights up, more than likely I have to replace BOTH pads and sensors, right?
Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I did a visual on the pads when I put my snows on, and I'm planning to change them in the spring. No warning light yet, so I assume I can leave the sensor alone. I want to try Turbo2ner's brand of pads, fotr the "no-dust"; Tirerack best source?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 PM

C280

thanks guys
bump
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
I also had a couple questions of brake pad replacement. My brakes sqeal pretty loudly now and have been for about a month. The brake light has yet to come on. Does this indicate the pads/rotors are comming to the end of their lives?

I have been thinking about taking the opportunity to replace the brakes with crossdrilled and/or slotted rotors and add some high quality pads. Any thoughts on this upgrade?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 01:54 AM

C280
Finally got to replace my brakes a little more than a week ago. It's definately a DIY job. It should actually take you only a few hours to replace all pads and rotors. As far as tips go, I have a few for anyone who attempts this for the first time.

1. I ordered parts from bimmerzone.com. Prices are a little cheaper here than anywhere else I found, plus you can buy cross drilled rotors here.

2. Make sure you know exactly which rear pads you need. I ordered the wrong set of rear pads. some c classes have only one retaining pin in the rear caliper and some have two. I suggest you pop off the back wheel to see which style you have. The rear brakes are more difficult to replace than the front. The way you replace the rear pads is by tapping out the retaining pins, and sliding a new set of pads in, and tapping the pins back in once the new pads are inside the caliper. rotors are easy too. once you have removed the two larger bolts behind the calipers to remove it from off the knuckle, you need an allyn wrench to loosen the one screw that holds the rotors on. I recommend using a torch to heat the screw, it'll come right off that way. just be sure you don't hold the flame on there too long

3. The sensors are a snap. just unplug the old ones and plug the new ones in. you'll see how they slide down into the pads when you pull your old ones out. Also don't worry how many you should order, you recieve a set of four when you order and purchase them. I only used three because my car only had three plugs. Not really sure why

Well, that should do it. If anyone else has anything to add, be my guest. Good luck!