C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

96 c220 maintenance manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 03:01 AM
J__

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C200 CGI
96 c220 maintenance manual

does anyone knw where i can get a maintenance manual for my 96 c220?
any help appreciated thnx
Old 05-31-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 C220
Are we talking about the genuine MB Dealer literature? If so, I'd call your local dealer.

If you just mean a good Maint manual for instructional purposes, I suggest the Haynes Manual that covers the C-class.

I too have a '96 C220 and have found the Haynes manual to be of great assistance.

Matt
Old 05-31-2002, 06:38 PM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
hmm i will prolly try both, where can i get a Haynes Manual? does ur c220 have many problems? mine makes odd noises here and there, mostly im thinking coming from the brakes, suspension, or power steering. and the strange thing is that it makes noises AFTER i drive 30kms or so, never have any problems when i just start it up, strange.

thnx for your help!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 C220
I got the Haynes Manual online. It is actually a Haynes UK publication. I can't find the manual at the moment or I would give your the Manual #. You can find it online easily though.

As for the MB specific literature, I would call your local MB Dealer, ask for the parts department, see if they can't give you the MB Part Number and give you pricing or go ahead and order it for you. I imagine it will be a special order part that is not stocked local.

As for weird noises, I do have a couple things right now. The power steering is starting to whine for no apparent reason, alignment is fine, tire pressure is okay, so I don't know what to make of it yet. I also have a really bad vibration over 80mph and it is not the tire balance nor either the front or rear flex disc, I don't know if maybe it's a support bearing for the drive shaft or something of that nature.

I recently corrected a noise under the hood that turned out to be the acessory belt tensioner, it busted and was causing the belt to make noise.

Let me know if there is something else your car is doing, maybe we can determine if it's something with the model.

Matt H
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-31-2002, 11:14 PM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
ya sure, ya mine's starting to make a whinning noise from the power steering too. but it only happens if im not moving the car but just turning the wheel while still. i think that is bad. maybe you can try checking your power steering fluid, my friend's beamer had that same noise and they found out the fluid was low. i love the benz cars but i hate how they're not too reliable and tend to break down. and ontop of that the damn expensive parts and labor to fix the problems ><!! i think my next car i will stick with a good old japanese honda or acura
Old 05-31-2002, 11:17 PM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
oh and theres this anoyying rythmic thumping sound from the center console when a/c or air is turned on, i read lots of forums with this similar problem, they all tried to fix it at the dealership but all the attempts seem to fail so i think ima just leave that and put up with the thumping sound

i wonder if yours does that also
Old 06-01-2002, 01:31 AM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
oh btw do u knw how to take out the lightbuld in the headlights? i want to change mine to superwhites, but im not sure how to take it out. first i have to remove the cover over the light assembly which is held by 2 clips, next i have to remove the connector to the light bulb itself, this is wat im not sure about, it feels very tight so i dont want to force it or break anything. Is there a little clip i have to hold? or just yank it from the bulb? i believe its H4 type lights on mine
thnx