C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C230K Coupe AC/Heating control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe AC/Heating control

I'm looking for information on the two harnesses that link up with the heating control behind the dash. The larger harness (A) I have plugged in successfully. However, when I was disassembling the dash and unplugging harnesses, the smaller one (B) next to it popped out. I didn't notice until I went to reconnect it that it appears the connector is broken. I'm not sure if I broke it or if it was already damaged, but I certainly didn't put much pressure on it at all. Either way, I'm going to have to replace it, it seems.

Does anyone have any information as to where the other end of this cable goes to or info on replacement? I'm assuming it has something to do with temperature control because it seems like no matter what I set the temp dials to, the air coming out is cool.

I included a couple pics just to clarify what I'm talking about. I know they're a little blurry, but it should get the point across.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 C230K Coupe AC/Heating control-hc_rear.jpg   2002 C230K Coupe AC/Heating control-hc_cable.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Not related to the heating control, but I noticed a few issues with the COMAND as well. I used the C1/C2 harness from Engisoft to do the installation (had to run my own VSS wire into the car though). The COMAND doesn't power off when the car is turned off, and can be powered on even while the car is off. Even more interesting, after driving with the COMAND on for about 20-30 minutes, a message pops up on the COMAND's screen that says something to the effect of "Please turn ignition on. If you don't turn the ignition on in 3 minutes, the system will shut down." Sure enough, 3 minutes later, the COMAND turns itself off -- even though the ignition is on and the engine is running.

Intermittently the COMAND will recognize the CD changer. Sometimes when I turn it on, it communicates fine with the changer. Other times when I turn it on, it says there is no changer connected.

Finally, the steering wheel audio controls don't work anymore. When I go to where the audio controls used to be on the instrument display, it just says "AUDIO" at the top of the screen with some dashes beneath it. I'm assuming that might be tied into needing to get it programmed on STAR though, or is that just for the navi menu?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Okay I went back in and took a look at the ribbon cable. Sure enough the connector head was still in the plug. It's a three-pin connector. I don't know how but the ribbon cable itself separated from the head somehow. The part number on the cable appears to be A203 830 12 15, but I couldn't find any info on it using that or any of the other numbers I found on the tag. I'm planning on calling the dealership tomorrow and seeing about having it replaced, since I'm going to be away on business this week and probably won't have the time to do it myself.

In terms of the COMAND functionality problems, seems like Engisoft didn't put the CAN wiring in so that'd explain the problems. That's pretty easily fixable, though.

Last edited by orcberg; 03-06-2005 at 11:58 AM.