C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Phil, I'll take you to a place. Globe Motorsports? That's in DTLA, right? I'm pretty sure that they are the FAB distributors. I'm surprised they would say that. Anyway, maybe next Saturday, we'll go. Either that or go to Zander at TWS. Let me know if you're down to do that.
Sure, that sounds good. Globe is supposed to be pretty large and blah blah, so I was surprised that they said that, they're off of La Cienega by the 10. Definitely not going there. I've called a bunch of places and it seems like $375 including H&R springs is the cheapest. I really don't care if I get an alignment with the price b/c I have a $100 gift cert for DTLA motors and they can align it for me, but if it's only a few bucks more then I can have whatever place doing the install align it for me too. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Sure, that sounds good. Globe is supposed to be pretty large and blah blah, so I was surprised that they said that, they're off of La Cienega by the 10. Definitely not going there. I've called a bunch of places and it seems like $375 including H&R springs is the cheapest. I really don't care if I get an alignment with the price b/c I have a $100 gift cert for DTLA motors and they can align it for me, but if it's only a few bucks more then I can have whatever place doing the install align it for me too. Thanks!
The place I'm gonna take you to will probably include alignment in their price, so it would be no hassle for you and you can save you certificate from DTLA motors for another time.

I would say we could go this coming Saturday, but gotta help my Ninong and Ninang move into their new pad. I'll see if I can get some quotes for you and txt or pm you the information.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K w203
H&R cupkit installed, some Qs pls help

Hey guys,

finally lowered my car with H&R cupkit,
i was impressed, the car feels like its glued to the ground....

but my steering wheel feels heavier to turn, and the car is kinda sluggish in a way...is this because of the negative camber from lowering ???

i've also noticed that, when rolling down a slop about 40 mph, letting go the accelerator, the car doesn't gain much speed, but with the stock suspension, on the same slop, the speed would climb more rapidly

i would like to know if others with cupkit, had experienced similar things when upgraded to cupkit ???

i had the alignment done at the dealer, they spent 5 hrs trying to align my car to spec (they claimed, but i wasn't charged for overtime),

i've requested a print out of the alignment data, but just wondring, if any1 could tell me from the alignment data, if the camber is good ? and would it be chewing through my tires real quickly ?

sorry for these noob questions, cause i've never lowered my car b 4, any info, are greatly appreciated!

regards

Steve
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-camber.jpg  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Granite Grey c230
Originally Posted by kingkong
Hey guys,

finally lowered my car with H&R cupkit,
i was impressed, the car feels like its glued to the ground....

but my steering wheel feels heavier to turn, and the car is kinda sluggish in a way...is this because of the negative camber from lowering ???

i've also noticed that, when rolling down a slop about 40 mph, letting go the accelerator, the car doesn't gain much speed, but with the stock suspension, on the same slop, the speed would climb more rapidly

i would like to know if others with cupkit, had experienced similar things when upgraded to cupkit ???

i had the alignment done at the dealer, they spent 5 hrs trying to align my car to spec (they claimed, but i wasn't charged for overtime),

i've requested a print out of the alignment data, but just wondring, if any1 could tell me from the alignment data, if the camber is good ? and would it be chewing through my tires real quickly ?

sorry for these noob questions, cause i've never lowered my car b 4, any info, are greatly appreciated!

regards

Steve
Hi Steve sorry i dont have the answers to your questions.

But I would really like to see a side profile picture of your car.

I just lowered mine with eibach pro springs and i am somewhat dissapointed. the car still looks stock to me. I am 423 in the hole and i think the car is the exact same as before.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 AM

C200K w203
K Sanny, i will take a pic tmr morning...

erm....i think my car is actually too low for me, didn't expect the drop, i should of gone for springs for a moderate drop IMO, easier to live with, but i will prob get used to it.

Only concerns are when my parents get behind the wheel. Dad getting old n sometimes he doesn't see speed bumps and take it like 4x4

i think Australian cars has thinner pads (#1~#4) then US models, thats why its lower then what i was expecting.

still weary about how the camber will chew through my tires, and speed bumps

i got subwoofers in the boot, when i go over speed bumps the bottom, mid section of the car (just a lil bit b 4 the rear wheel) would scrape with no passengers in the car, just me the driver.

not sure whats scraping, prob the exhaust pipe, will need a friend to check it for me..........(any1 else with this kinda problem ? how did u get around it ?)

My wheels r 16 inch 205/55, already at 33psi, i might increase tyre pressure to 34-36, not sure if this is a good idea with tyre wear due to the camber... pls advise, ???

or i will prob end up taking my subs out n raise the back about 1cm lol, really sick of subs, anyways

if u are after performance, i think this cupkit is very good,
can push the car much harder with the cupkit, pretty stable through corners, and / or accelerating through it, it sticks to the ground....and most importantly i wasn't scared at all, pretty confident n the car felt safe

but if i was to do this again, i'd get H&R lowering spring with koni / aftermarket shocks and play around with pad sizes to get the drop i was after, or get a moto bike, have fun on that instead.....ermmm
Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 AM

06 Granite Grey c230
I actually called the benz dealership to look into pads and they said they didnt sell pads or they only had one size and it would be the exact same one i had in the car.

The place that lowered my car confirmed this and said that they stopped doing different size pads in 01 or 02?

I am not sure, but I'd love to go lower. It seems really high still maybe 2 or 3 inches of space in front above the tire.

Hey Ill trade u ur cup kit for these eibach springs just kididng, i wish i went with h and r springs i ithnk they are lower than eibachs....

cant wait to see the picture of the slammed out w203!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 AM

06 Granite Grey c230
this is acutally a pic of the car on my camera phone. ill take another one later but focus your eyes to the front wheel space. looks totally stock to me :

Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-photo_122105_007.jpg  
Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 AM

C200K w203
yeah u have the updated Merc, your drop is just what i was after, mines the old Merc with the ****ty interior

erm i dont' think my car is considered slammed ....but too low for my liking

anyways i will take pic in the morning when i can
Old 01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Here's what my car looked like back when I had the H&R cup kit:

Here's what it looked like before that with Eibach springs:

And both drops were with #4 rear spring pads. I was able to get camber within spec with both setups, though I'm sure the OEM camber bolts in front and thicker spring pad in back helped out. I didn't notice any problems with acceleration or turning.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Sanny
Hi Steve sorry i dont have the answers to your questions.

But I would really like to see a side profile picture of your car.

I just lowered mine with eibach pro springs and i am somewhat dissapointed. the car still looks stock to me. I am 423 in the hole and i think the car is the exact same as before.
Why did you go with the Eibach pro springs? Should've done more research before jumping the gun.

Your car already had an upgraded suspension w/ the Sport springs. It's been posted here that the Eibach pro springs would only drop the car maybe 1/4 of an inch at most from stock sport springs on MY '05-present.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I'm kinda tick off to cuz one member was selling his H&R srpings that he took of his C32 and Guess what I got Eibach pro springs. I'm kinda pissed off the whole thing. he did sent me the Bi xenon and the clear side markers and it all work. I'm debaiting if I want to keep the springs or sell them.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by Trekman
I'm kinda tick off to cuz one member was selling his H&R srpings that he took of his C32 and Guess what I got Eibach pro springs. I'm kinda pissed off the whole thing. he did sent me the Bi xenon and the clear side markers and it all work. I'm debaiting if I want to keep the springs or sell them.
Sell them. They won't be an upgrade for your AMG suspension...just a small drop.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM

06 Granite Grey c230
Why did you go with the Eibach pro springs? Should've done more research before jumping the gun.

Your car already had an upgraded suspension w/ the Sport springs. It's been posted here that the Eibach pro springs would only drop the car maybe 1/4 of an inch at most from stock sport springs on MY '05-present.
what would have given me the biggest drop, h and r?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
If you're talking springs only, then yes it seems H&R would be the biggest drop, but of course coilovers would allow you to drop it even more.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Blake how much drop did you get a drop on the eibach?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by Trekman
Blake how much drop did you get a drop on the eibach?
I wish I still had the first pics I took when I got my car. The wheel well gap was obnoxiously large. The Eibach springs dropped the car about 1.5 inches up front and just less than an inch in back. The H&R cup kit probably dropped the front and rear another 3/4 inch. The reason I advised you against Eibach springs is mainly because of ride quality. Your car might be an inch or so lower, but nowhere near the performance of your AMG suspension. If you want a spring only option, get Renntech. From my research, they seem best matched with the AMG shocks, give a great drop, and the ride quality is said to be exceptional.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

There aren't any aftermarket springs alone that would've given you a "big" drop from your stock sport springs (which are debated back and forth whether they are AMG springs or Sport springs designed by AMG). The only way you would've been able to notice a considerable drop from your stock springs would've been to get adjustable coilovers.

Options for coilovers that have ride height adjustability are H&R coilovers (ride height adjustable only), TEIN Basic coilovers (ride height adjustable only), TEIN Super Street coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), BILSTEIN PSS-9 coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), CARLSSON RS coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), KW v2 (ride height and damper adjustable).

Other than getting coilovers, it's already been established that the newer model w203's from '05-present have an upgraded suspension when the refresh was done, which included upgrades to the springs, shocks, swaybars and the "direct control". Unfortunately, my '04.5 had the old sport suspension, which was established when I changed my swaybars. Regardless, since you had posted about getting H&R springs before, no matter what you wouldn't really upgrade your suspension unless you went with coilovers (as far as drop and/or handling).
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
the car still looks like it's pretty high.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 PM

C200K w203
ahahah...i think sanny stole my thread....

anyways does any 1 have any suggestions to my problems ???

thanks

Steve
Old 01-04-2006, 11:26 PM

C200K w203
ok the pics

i think the drop is alright, but the camber look bad ***

others with cupkit, whats your camber at ???
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-1.jpg   W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-2.jpg   W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-3.jpg  
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
How the hell u scrub man?? I used to have 2 15 on the boot and the box is damn heavy, it never scrub, even with the wald kit. Anyway, PM replied
Old 01-05-2006, 05:07 AM

06 Granite Grey c230
king kong: sorry i jacked your thread. your car looks good i wish i had that kind of drop in the front it seems dropped more in the front than the rear?

in other news i actually called my installer and he said that eibach states that the car shoudl go down 1.5 inches, since its like less than 1/4 drop in the front hes gonna call them on it and see what they say. quite interesting. ill post to see whats up.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:09 AM

06 Granite Grey c230
There aren't any aftermarket springs alone that would've given you a "big" drop from your stock sport springs (which are debated back and forth whether they are AMG springs or Sport springs designed by AMG). The only way you would've been able to notice a considerable drop from your stock springs would've been to get adjustable coilovers.

Options for coilovers that have ride height adjustability are H&R coilovers (ride height adjustable only), TEIN Basic coilovers (ride height adjustable only), TEIN Super Street coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), BILSTEIN PSS-9 coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), CARLSSON RS coilovers (ride height and damper adjustable), KW v2 (ride height and damper adjustable).

Other than getting coilovers, it's already been established that the newer model w203's from '05-present have an upgraded suspension when the refresh was done, which included upgrades to the springs, shocks, swaybars and the "direct control". Unfortunately, my '04.5 had the old sport suspension, which was established when I changed my swaybars. Regardless, since you had posted about getting H&R springs before, no matter what you wouldn't really upgrade your suspension unless you went with coilovers (as far as drop and/or handling).
what do you have on that midnight blue sedan. that is the ride height i am looking for!! it looks great big ups to u!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

king kong: sorry i jacked your thread. your car looks good i wish i had that kind of drop in the front it seems dropped more in the front than the rear?

in other news i actually called my installer and he said that eibach states that the car shoudl go down 1.5 inches, since its like less than 1/4 drop in the front hes gonna call them on it and see what they say. quite interesting. ill post to see whats up.
Yeah, but have them check again. I bet those numbers are based on NON-sport 240/320 w203's, not a 2006 sport (which has a different engine, most likely different weight - although I doubt it's much heavier than the m271, and upgraded suspension from the luxury, etc...)

Last edited by drexappeal; 01-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

what do you have on that midnight blue sedan. that is the ride height i am looking for!! it looks great big ups to u!
R&D'd the TEIN Super Street coilovers and TEIN S-Tech springs for the 230 SS, which is applicable for the 2003-2005 sport sedan model.

Like I said, if you really want a more significant change in ride height, you'll have to go with coilovers and I gave you most, if not all the options you have for those.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread