C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I'm new to MB and am puzzled about 2 things (m)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I'm new to MB and am puzzled about 2 things (m)

As some here may have read, I'm a 4 time BMW owner contemplating an MB. I liked the E, but feel its simply not worth 65K, even with current $2500 incentives. The C w/ AWD seems quite nice, although I'd not have considered it w/o the freshened interior and forthcoming 3.5L engine. Two things are puzzling, though:

1) Why have some here said the C is "not a real Benz"?? Is this some kind of iniside joke or do some feel it truly is a different car than the others? Other than the fact that some models have/had 4 cyl engines why is this?

2) I see that leather is not std, with the seat inserts only done in leather and full leather a fairly high priced option. Why is this? Seems odd in a 40+K car. Also, for those that don't have full leather, can you tell the difference? pluses/minuses? Do you really care?

Thanks in advance--

Jim
Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
The answer to your first question lies in your second question. Many don't consider the C a "real Benz" because unless you get the extravagant AMG, it is not a 40+K car. This is not, however an overall consensus. I drive a C and I love it. Just depends on who you talk to.

As for the leather, I realize it is an option, but 90%+ of the benz's I have come across have full leather. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen a newer Benz without full leather. I think that if you are special ordering a car, you may have to specify leather, but if you go to a dealership, it will most likely just be a given that what you buy will be full-leather.

Ok, I realize I wasn't much help, but maybe I helped a little
Old 03-15-2005, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by JWS3
As some here may have read, I'm a 4 time BMW owner contemplating an MB. I liked the E, but feel its simply not worth 65K, even with current $2500 incentives. The C w/ AWD seems quite nice, although I'd not have considered it w/o the freshened interior and forthcoming 3.5L engine. Two things are puzzling, though:

1) Why have some here said the C is "not a real Benz"?? Is this some kind of iniside joke or do some feel it truly is a different car than the others? Other than the fact that some models have/had 4 cyl engines why is this?

2) I see that leather is not std, with the seat inserts only done in leather and full leather a fairly high priced option. Why is this? Seems odd in a 40+K car. Also, for those that don't have full leather, can you tell the difference? pluses/minuses? Do you really care?

Thanks in advance--

Jim

Answer to Question 1: Because they have a hard time reconciling that they paid double or triple the price of a C-class for a car from the same manufacturer. Thus, in order to make themselves feel superior (and less like a dope, for spending so much), they claim 'The C isn't a REAL Benz'.

Unforutunately, these dopes obviously haven't been to Germany (home of the 'REAL' Benz) to see E-class taxis, S-classes with hand-crank windows, 4 cylinder E's, A-class, etc.

Short version: They're haters. . . let'em think what they like.

Answer to Question 2: Benz has been on a real cost-cutting mission since the early 90's. My last car was an '87 300TD. This car stickered over $50k . . . in 1987 dollars!

In order to attempt to meet the price point of their competition (Acura, Lexus, Infinity, etc), they have to reduce costs. They have done this (in my opinion) in areas of lesser importance, while retaining the fundemental core values of an MB (safety, solid structure, great ride).

I don't see the leather inserts as a downside. After you put some age on the seats, full leather seating wears and cracks on the side panels (where you slide in/out). With MB-Tex for these panels, they will be more durable, and look better, longer.

The interior on the '05s has already been freshened, and in my opionion is far nicer than in my '03.

In the end, it's all about what you want from a car. Coming from BMW, I believe that only BMW and MB will make cars that you'll enjoy long-term. The others look/drive well as you leave the lot . . . but lose their specialness shortly thereafter.

I find myself completely satisfied with my car now, even after 2 years and 45k miles.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
My 8/30/04 post, in this topic shows the interior, with the leather option and identifies which panels are leather.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by JWS3

1) As dmatre stated, the comment's about it not being a "real" Benz really comes from people who want to feel more special because they purchased a higher class.

2) MB-Tex wears much better than leather. The seat inserts need to be leather for the comfort, but that's it. Plus, it's hard to tell the difference between the MB-Tex and real leather.

Originally Posted by Brunelleschi
As for the leather, I realize it is an option, but 90%+ of the benz's I have come across have full leather. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen a newer Benz without full leather. I think that if you are special ordering a car, you may have to specify leather, but if you go to a dealership, it will most likely just be a given that what you buy will be full-leather.
See my answer to number 2 above. I am willing to bet that a lot of these cars that you thought were leather were actually MB-Tex. Pretty much 90% of the C classes I have seen have had the MB-Tex.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Originally Posted by revstriker
See my answer to number 2 above. I am willing to bet that a lot of these cars that you thought were leather were actually MB-Tex. Pretty much 90% of the C classes I have seen have had the MB-Tex.
Ya learn somthing new everyday
Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 AM

'02 c230k coupe
how do u guys clean ur mb-tex? any suggestions on that?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:23 AM

2005 C230 SS
I got the standard MB-Tex with the leather inserts and I love it. (charcoal) For the most part it looks and feels like real leather. I have had nobody tell the difference... Plus it doesn't get too hot which is a big plus when you live in south florida with no aftermarket tint on your windows.
And for all the people that say C-classes aren't real benzes...I agree with what "revstriker" said. It is an ego trip for those with higher classes.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:26 AM

05-C230SC
Unforutunately, these dopes obviously haven't been to Germany (home of the 'REAL' Benz) to see E-class taxis, S-classes with hand-crank windows, 4 cylinder E's, A-class, etc.
Could not have said it better myself! (don't forget the smart... lol)

I like MB-tex... (better than leather IMO)

As for the I4 motor... I kind of like it. I came from owning a 6cly, and I do feel the difference, but the charged 4 is plenty of fun. When you lay off the pedal you can actualy save gas milage; and when you punch it, you feel the car as you hear the motor wind up parallel to the whistling charger. What else can you ask for under 30K?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
1. When you can get a C-class for the price of a midrange Honda Accord, you begin to wonder. However, there are some really funny things you begin to realize also, like that the 230 Kompressor engine is the same engine they put in the SLK 230. You begin to realize that, for a little more than the standard price of a 325i, you can get a C240 sport sedan with some nice features. If the "real MB" means spending 60k for a car worth 40-50k, then, by all means, don't buy a C. Quite frankly, when my '89 535i was done, I went looking for a 325i, and I realized I could get a new car for the asking price of a three-year old Bimmer, I decided to go with MB. And I don't regret it.

The 230 Kompressor is an I4 engine with a supercharger. Yes, it has only 4 cylinders, but it's much better (and stronger) than the I6 in the 240, which is something of a joke to some. Unfortunately, MB doesn't make I6s as well as BMW does, but I went from an I6 to a supercharged I4, and the only real difference is that the low range lacks quick power, but the midrange has plenty of it (thanks to the supercharger).

2. I have the cloth seats in mine, and I really like it. I always disliked cloth, having parents both of whose cars had leather, and being used to the fuzzy stuff they put in Nissans and Toyotas. However, the MB cloth is sleek and stiff, and feels very, very durable. Once the cloth does die I will get leather, and it'll probably be much cheaper (and better) in the end anyway, compared to factory leather. If you are looking to keep, you might want to go with that. Also will allow your kids to grow up and trash the cloth (if you have kids, of course), like my siblings did with my car's interior (horrible things, I tell you).
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by jedcred
1. When you can get a C-class for the price of a midrange Honda Accord, you begin to wonder. However, there are some really funny things you begin to realize also, like that the 230 Kompressor engine is the same engine they put in the SLK 230. You begin to realize that, for a little more than the standard price of a 325i, you can get a C240 sport sedan with some nice features. If the "real MB" means spending 60k for a car worth 40-50k, then, by all means, don't buy a C. Quite frankly, when my '89 535i was done, I went looking for a 325i, and I realized I could get a new car for the asking price of a three-year old Bimmer, I decided to go with MB. And I don't regret it.
One of the main reasons I got a C230K instead of a 325i. The C230 had all the options I wanted and more power for a lower price.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:47 PM

2005 C240
I was going to say -- virtually every C I saw on 4 dealer lots I visited while shopping had the base leather/MBtex. On the luxury models, the all-leather is very evident because of the door panels.

I'm not clear on why you insist on waiting for the C350. Have you compared the torque/HP/weight figures for your 530i vs a C320? These should be very close in performance. (Or maybe you were disappointed with the acceleration of your 530i.)

Last edited by postoak; 03-15-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM

2004 E500
Why the C350? I just like power! (m)

Originally Posted by postoak
I was going to say -- virtually every C I saw on 4 dealer lots I visited while shopping had the base leather/MBtex. On the luxury models, the all-leather is very evident because of the door panels.

I'm not clear on why you insist on waiting for the C350. Have you compared the torque/HP/weight figures for your 530i vs a C320? These should be very close. (Or maybe you were disappointed with the acceleration of your 530i.)
My 530 is a stick and according to most auto mag tests does 0-60 in 6.3 or so. The C320s I drove felt quite a bit slower and more lethargic, perhaps because its auto trans only. I REALLY liked the E500 4matic, but cannot justify 20K more for a car only incrementally better & larger. Plus, the 4matic seems to affect the overall performance levels. I'm not willing to drop the 4matic as I see a fair amount of evil snow.
What is really want is C55 power, with 350 luxury features and 4matic. But, they don't make such a thing, so the next closest is a C350, which has 25% (!!) more power and significantly more torque. The way I figure it, I can get a pretty much fully loaded C350 for around 45K out the door, with performance very, very close to the E500 at 20K less and with 50% fuel economy.
The bottom line is that I just like more power! I test drove a 240 and kept wondering where the motor was.......
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
test drive a 230! you won't be disappointed with that motor.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 PM

05-C230SC
Originally Posted by ctC230K
test drive a 230! you won't be disappointed with that motor.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
The 230 Kompressor is an I4 engine with a supercharger. Yes, it has only 4 cylinders, but it's much better (and stronger) than the I6 in the 240, which is something of a joke to some.
The engine in the C240 is not an I6. However, some would argue with you on the 1.8 being "better" than the 2.6.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Originally Posted by dmatre
Answer to Question 1: Because they have a hard time reconciling that they paid double or triple the price of a C-class for a car from the same manufacturer. Thus, in order to make themselves feel superior (and less like a dope, for spending so much), they claim 'The C isn't a REAL Benz'.

Short version: They're haters. . . let'em think what they like.

The interior on the '05s has already been freshened, and in my opionion is far nicer than in my '03.
EXACTLY!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by revstriker
The engine in the C240 is not an I6. However, some would argue with you on the 1.8 being "better" than the 2.6.
I'm sorry, I thought it was. It is actually a V6 2.6 L.

I am of the opinion that the 230 engine is better than the 240, having driven both (my uncle has the 240). It seems to me that the engine is "peppier" than the 240, and, at least according to my uncle, the gas mileage is better in the 230 than the 240 (when we compared notes). There is that horsepower difference, of course, as well as the torque. It just seems to me that the power is in different places between the two engines, and the 230 has the power where I'd prefer it to be: at speed rather than off the line. Just my opinion, mind you.

Last edited by jedcred; 03-15-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
I'm sorry, I thought it was. What is it really? Is it another I4 without a supercharger?
nope the C240 is a 2.6L V6 but with 21 less HP than the C230.
I don't think MBUSA currently sells any cars with an I6?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ctC230K
nope the C240 is a 2.6L V6 but with 21 less HP than the C230.
I don't think MBUSA currently sells any cars with an I6?

Ahh, you got to me before it could finish editing my prematurely posted post! Ahhhh!

Thanks for the clear up. I was just checking when you posted. BTW, the E320 CDI is an inline 6, if you care to know.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
MB dropped the I6 for V6's a couple yrs ago.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I'm sorry, I thought it was. It is actually a V6 2.6 L.

I am of the opinion that the 230 engine is better than the 240, having driven both (my uncle has the 240). It seems to me that the engine is "peppier" than the 240, and, at least according to my uncle, the gas mileage is better in the 230 than the 240 (when we compared notes). There is that horsepower difference, of course, as well as the torque. It just seems to me that the power is in different places between the two engines, and the 230 has the power where I'd prefer it to be: at speed rather than off the line. Just my opinion, mind you.
Yup, that's correct, a 2.6 V6.

I'm sure there are lot of people that will share your opinion on the 1.8. However, there are others who prefer the smooth and quiet ride of the 2.6 over the supercharged 1.8. Especially one who buys the car for a more luxury feel, and not sporty feel.

Thats why we all have choices!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:18 PM

2005 C240
I really don't think you can get where you want to go with MB. I think the best two suggestions have been the Audi S4 or the E90. I'm not sure what they cost, configured as you want, though. My other recommendation would be to go test drive a C320 Luxury Sedan with AWD and see if you could be happy with it -- then wait till the C350s have arrived and pick one up for about $35,000. I could put up with some lesser acceleration for a price like that.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 PM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
Originally Posted by PsssTkiD
how do u guys clean ur mb-tex? any suggestions on that?
also wondering the same thing, i tried some Armor All leather wipes, BOY WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS! it left some marks that i thought were permanent and made the "leather" look like utter crap, luckily i only wiped down a few small spots, but dear god, it almost ruined my car. (FYI-dont use Armor All leather wipes). so back to the question, what's the best way to clean the interior "leather?"
Old 03-15-2005, 08:37 PM

2004 E500
C350 may be best all around compromise (m)

Originally Posted by postoak
I really don't think you can get where you want to go with MB. I think the best two suggestions have been the Audi S4 or the E90. I'm not sure what they cost, configured as you want, though. My other recommendation would be to go test drive a C320 Luxury Sedan with AWD and see if you could be happy with it -- then wait till the C350s have arrived and pick one up for about $35,000. I could put up with some lesser acceleration for a price like that.
I have been, until recently, rather interested in the new E90 3 series. But, after seeing the interior I started to lose interest rapidly. The non Nav version w/o iDrive is beyond stark and ill suited to a Hyundai, much less a 45K car, while the iDrive Nav version is, well, infested w/ iDrive and a silly looking double hump design. Also, going from a 5 to a 3 seemed something of a step down.
I drove a 320 and it was "OK" in the acceleration dept. The 350 should be much, much better, especially w/ the 4 matic. Add some 17" wheels and better tires and things could be pretty good.
I don't know how one could get a C350 for 35K. I priced a 320 w/ Nav, light pkge, sunroof pkge, metallic paint, full leather, adjustable(air) seats, folding rear seats and what not. It listed for about 46-47, meaning it would likely sell for around 43-44. This is only about 3K less then my 530 was 3 yrs ago.
I really wanted to like the new BMWs and am on my 4th since 1996. But, they are just too ugly to contemplate and the Benzs are to my eyes far, far better looking and are actually becoming decent driver's cars.
The real issue will be size. Even though not my primary car, will it be big enough? I'm 6'0 and my wife is 5'10". My daughters are 7 and 4 and, of course, are tall. I think we've only had all four of us in my BMW about twice in the past 3 yrs, but I'd like to be able to if needed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm new to MB and am puzzled about 2 things (m)