C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

About to buy... gear question for C230 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Question About to buy... gear question for C230 Coupe

I have narrowed down that I want the C230 with C5 and C7 packages. I initially leaned 99% to 6 speed, and now amd wavering - 50-50 if I had to put a number on it.

What are folks feelings out there?

What about resale, I see that 95% of what dealers have is auto - so does that mean I'll get stiffed for having stick in 5 or so years?

Performance has also come to mind... I currently have a 98 M3 and am selling that and getting the C... why? simple, I want to save up some cash so I can get something like a CLK55 or M5 in 5 years... I guess you can say 5 in 5?

Anyhow, please give me some - emotional - opinions.

Thanks.
Peet
Old 06-13-2002, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Peet, there are tons of auto vs. manny debates on this forum. Try a search.

I test drove the auto first and totally gave up on the car (even after I obsessed about it for months). It was sluggish as hell and hunted franticly for gears. I know now that I should have given it time to learn my driving style and took into consideration that the car wasn't broken in yet. Also, $1300 is rip for the auto-- just like all the other MB options.

Anyway, I ended up going back to test drive the 6spd a few weeks later and completely turned my opinion around (the oyster interior helped too).

I don't care about resale. I plan to own and enjoy the 6spd in this car for at least 5 years. I'm willing to lose a few $$ in the end for 5 years worth of pleasure. Maybe the lack of 6spds will be a benefit (supply vs. demand?).
Old 06-13-2002, 03:12 PM

As others have said before, buy what YOU want. No one can predict the future buying habits of used vehicle owners so why deprive yourself of what you want. No matter how you option your vehicle there is bound to be a buyer for it down the road since it is a prestige brand with decent resale.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, here's an emotional response: the car sux with the auto. If you're coming from an M3 to this car, the auto will feel very, very slow, while the manny-equipped one will feel only very slow. :p
Mannies are fun, slushboxes are for old men (I won't name names).

If you're trying to save up, why get a car to replace a 1998 M3? Sounds like a huge waste of money to me, unless the M3 has issues that make you think that it's not going to make it 5 more years (other than being a BMW).

About dealer selection: dealers have autos because they think that's what customers will want, so they stock more, and any mannies that come out are cleaned out quickly, so don't use that as a measuring stick of the alternatives.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Just for the record.. no I don't think the M will fall apart. But... and here's the rub. In Chicago, the market is bearing about 32k for the car which was 39 new a little over 4 years ago. It's hard to overlook that math. I figure the depreciation curve will continue expanding and the losses increase as time goes on.

Doing the math, over 4 years of ownership, I'd spend the same amount in payments, but have a) a new toy, b) a new warranty, c) no maintenance costs - whereas the M is now going to cost me money in maintenance.

I like the responses so far - they are really echoing my thoughts - so thanks, and keep em coming! I am going to visit the stealer this weekend to drive the auto (just to make sure).

Peet
Old 06-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
Peet,
Where do you live? If it is warm most of the year, I'd recommend the manual. However if you live in a cold environment there is a chance you'll get lucky and receive one of the many manuals out there, including mine, which will exhibit a crunching behavior when shifting into second gear, that is, until the CAT has warmed up or unless you wait to shift until about 5k RPMs. This isn't just a couple of minutes, either. Count on 20 minutes. The short-ratio gear box can test your patience with 1st gear in town. A slow roll-to-stop-sign shift up into 1st from 2nd can occasionally catch a couple of gear teeth and it is just short enough to be only useful, really, in getting the car half way through the intersection--almost like "L" on a truck but not quite that bad. You'll have plenty of power on the highway at 80 mph in 6th running at about 3100 RPMs. The car feels more like a sports coupe with a manny. The clutch will adjust to your style, which is a very nice attribute too. All in all it is OK with me, but I don't feel it has a rock-solid gear box. From what I can gather the tiptronic auto is a little slow in responding to the driver's input. It does offer the winter mode which may really be handy, especially compared with the manny's 2nd gear problem (for those effected). That's my two cents, I'd don't know how usefull it is. Like it was said earlier, go with what you like--both have the plus and minuses.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by peet
Just for the record.. no I don't think the M will fall apart. But... and here's the rub. In Chicago, the market is bearing about 32k for the car which was 39 new a little over 4 years ago. It's hard to overlook that math. I figure the depreciation curve will continue expanding and the losses increase as time goes on.

Doing the math, over 4 years of ownership, I'd spend the same amount in payments, but have a) a new toy, b) a new warranty, c) no maintenance costs - whereas the M is now going to cost me money in maintenance.

I like the responses so far - they are really echoing my thoughts - so thanks, and keep em coming! I am going to visit the stealer this weekend to drive the auto (just to make sure).

Peet
I think you'll waste money instead of save....
How you get 32k for 98 M3?? Here's in CA... 98s are worth
27-25k... and beyond 4 years... depreciation will be much slower
than brand new car... New car usually lost 20% as soon as you
walk out of the dealership...

Get extended warranty for your M... and if you enjoy speed,
you'll like the M more too..
Old 06-13-2002, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by dontwakemeup
... However if you live in a cold environment there is a chance you'll get lucky and receive one of the many manuals out there, including mine, which will exhibit a crunching behavior when shifting into second gear, that is, until the CAT has warmed up or unless you wait to shift until about 5k RPMs. This isn't just a couple of minutes, either. Count on 20 minutes. The short-ratio gear box can test your patience with 1st gear in town. A slow roll-to-stop-sign shift up into 1st from 2nd can occasionally catch a couple of gear teeth and it is just short enough to be only useful, really, in getting the car half way through the intersection--almost like "L" on a truck but not quite that bad. You'll have plenty of power on the highway at 80 mph in 6th running at about 3100 RPMs. The car feels more like a sports coupe with a manny. The clutch will adjust to your style, which is a very nice attribute too. All in all it is OK with me, but I don't feel it has a rock-solid gear box.
Man, it sounds like something's wrong with your trans -- get it checked! I've got a C240 6-spd w/ 8200 miles, and nothing happens like what you're describing. Didn't someone else mention a bad 2nd gear synchro? And, you say "many" manuals have problems -- where is this info coming from? 1st is somewhat lower than average, but you get used to it.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
Don't get me wrong, 1st gear is fine but it is just a little short for my taste, and it seems to be designed to only allow a shift at a complete stop. As far as the crunch...I was told this is the "most commonly reported issue" by a shop foreman at a dealer here. He mentioned that he gets multiple calls from SLK230 owners that share this same transmission. Like I wrote in one of my threads, I was told it was designed this way. After I sent a rather bad "initial buyer's survey", a spokesman from Mercedes concurred and said the coupe takes a long time to warm up. Is there someone out there that can give me some advise? Should I demand a warranty replacement? The problem is it'll only happen with an engine at 55 degrees or cooler. Of course the day I leave it at the dealer it was warm, and will be for a few months. Initially, I was positive it was a bad second gear synchro but later changed my mind--maybe I shouldn't trust MB shop foremen?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
manual transmission

Originally posted by tommy
Mannies are fun, slushboxes are for old men
Nice generalization - my Dad has the 6 speed and he's 76

The 6 speed manual gearbox is great - we have the non-evolution (non-C7) version with the longer throw and it is a MARVELLOUS shifter!! Very smooth, very positive, short throw. Others have reported problems, so the bottom line is to check it yourself and if you like it, buy one.

I drove the autobox version too and it was a little sluggish off the line but pulled nicely at 2500+ rpm. The manual is faster, and you can feel the difference.

I like the low 1st gear - it's very useful in hilly terrain. I find the gear ratios to be very well suited to the car.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I like the low 1st gear - it's very useful in hilly terrain. I find the gear ratios to be very well suited to the car.
Me too. 1st is nice for crawling around in bumper-to-bumper traffic without bucking you into the back seat or hopping around on the clutch pedal. I try to crawl my wife's Accord in 1st and I end up with whiplash.... The Accord's gears are well suited to getting a low 0-60 time to print in a magazine, but it's a joke trying to get around in traffic without looking like a beginner. Kudos to MB for realizing 60mph in 2nd gear isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:58 PM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
On my opinion , If your driving a M3 right now...Iwould get the stick..your not going to be happy with auto....The only 2 reason I got an auto because my Mom cant drive manual...and we trade cars once in a while...but I would love to have 6 speed...another reason is im not planning of keeping this car...I will probably trade it in for C32 after 2 or 3 years...
Old 06-14-2002, 08:21 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
You really need to spent a little time test-driving both - you'll know for sure which one you'll be happy with. My guess is it'll be the C7 6-speed manual if you're a driving enthusiast. Autos are fine but only if you have gobs of extra power to spare.

I find myself shifting gears a lot just because it feels good. The E220 CDI rental I drove in Germany last summer had nice amounts of torque and peak power, but the autobox always lagged. It's just comfortable, but not much fun. The autostick seems like a gimmick; I never warmed up to it.

I agree 1st is a bit short, but if you drop the clutch with a certain amount of throttle it feels like you're lifting off and forward without effort like in a flying saucer. If you get it wrong you look like a ricer It takes a bit of practice and getting acquainted with but once you got it nailed it makes for sheer exhilaration.

For $25 grand bone stock, the only device that's as much or more fun to drive is the WRX from Subaru. But it's not as nicely appointed as the Mercedes.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Got to drive the auto today - you are all absolutely right. As autos go it is not too bad. But tht's not what I'd call a great review.

Going for the 6 speed - now my only mission is to find one that exists so I don't have to order the (neutered) 1.8L engine. Which is what would happen if I special ordered.

Thanks again all for your input!

P

P.S. FWIW, the C230 auto works tons better than my wife's Toyota Cienna.