C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Finally got the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 12:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230k
Finally got the car

Well,

After all the hemming and hawing this is what happened..

I had one on order, but decided that it would be too much for me to spend (especially with me being upside down on the Saturn by 4k!!) The one I ordered had Orion, Oyster Leather, C1, C2, C4, C7 and auto. And it came it too early.. I needed it closer to the time my settlement was coming in (end of July).

Anyway, I bought preowned. A 2002 w/10k, Orion, Oyster cloth, roof,auto and the CD changer. No wheel pkg though :-(.

I picked it up on Saturday from MBLN. They washed it outside, but it still has a few stains and a scratch job by the wheel which they said that they would take care of.

Problem is, I brought in my Eloan paperwork and they tried to sell me the car at a much higher interest rate (I HATE DEALERS!!!).. I still don't know who i am being bought by E-Loan was through Americredit and they said that they would call them today and let me know... No Call... and when I called them back they said that the lenders were busy today.... Again I hate finance people!!!!

I am kind of disappointed in the whole sales process, but I love my car!! Tried to read the manual.. Still don't know how to reset computer, etc... Speakers sound like they are blown!! But it is a blast to drive....

I am taking it back tomorrow for them to fix the scratch and to find out what the hell is going on with my paperwork. What would you do about the inside? Would they detail it for me do you think??

The person who had it before me had it delived on 7/01 and traded it in the beginning of this month, but I don't think they did anything to it before they sold it to me...

Any helpful comments would be appreciated... Oh, and whoever bought there before.. When do I get the "Star Customer information about the discounts and whatever???

Thanks,

Laura
Old 06-18-2002, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing you need is the Star sticker so you get your free car washes. If you buy any accessories or parts they should give you 10% off with your Star card but they do it anyway if you tell them you didn't get it yet. If you have any problems see the concierge desk.

You'll enjoy the car no matter how badly their finance people mess up. Good luck....
Old 06-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Congrats on the car. I think you will find that most if not all financial institutes will charge a higher interest rate on a used car as opposed to a new car. I have used ELoan before, and I know that there can be a couple of points difference. Being upside down on a loan is never fun.

Question about your new car: Did you get a history on the car? I would just want to be sure that the car was not a lemon before. It seems unusual for a car to be traded in when it's less than a year old.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: Finally got the car

Originally posted by C230K4Laura
I had one on order, but decided that it would be too much for me to spend (especially with me being upside down on the Saturn by 4k!!)
OMG, it seems you used better judgment this time!

The one I ordered had Orion, Oyster Leather, C1, C2, C4, C7 and auto. And it came it too early.. I needed it closer to the time my settlement was coming in (end of July).
What settlement?

They washed it outside, but it still has a few stains and a scratch job by the wheel which they said that they would take care of.
Stains on the seats? Scratch in the paint?? Uh-oh, I hope you didn't rush into this!

Speakers sound like they are blown!! But it is a blast to drive....
More abuse? Hope the fun doesn't fade too quickly.

What would you do about the inside? Would they detail it for me do you think??
You're kidding, right? Of course! You're buying the car from them -- it should be perfect.

I don't think they did anything to it before they sold it to me...
Questionable dealership it sounds like... good luck!
Old 06-18-2002, 01:24 PM

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the second hand coupe? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k
used coupe

:p

I believe sticker was $25990 (it had a red tag on it) and the KBB in the window stated it was $31k. Hard to believe, but I guess so.

However, some things are still unclear.

When I originally looked at the car (both in person and on the internet site for the dealer) the mileage stated 5k. This was a car that I had got into at the dealership.

They brought another car around but I did not get into it. I just looked at the outside, guessing that it was the same car, especially since they both had a CD player in the glove box.

When I got in the finance office to sign papers, they said that the car had 10k miles on it and had only 3yrs, 40k miles left on the warranty.

I should have walked out of there then. I had my own preapproved financing for both new and used which were the same rate and they tried to get me to go with MBZ at a much higher interest rate and payment saying that they don't do eloans!! He called me back to sign some of the loan docs that I had given him and said that he would let me know on Monday about the financing. I still haven't heard a word and he said that when I called yesterday "the lenders are busy on Monday".

Then, the salesguy didn't really go over the car with me much, just showed me some of the features like the radio and sent me on my way (15 minutes later). That sticker that they put on the window with the DMV info... He put it on upside down and put his card on top of the DMV info).

The plates were not on the car (but that could have been because the previous owner had personalized plates) but I am now starting to worry....

I haven't heard a word yet today... I am starting to feel kind of sick..

Any helpful ideas....

Thanks,

Laura
Old 06-18-2002, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k
finally got my car

My settlement is from a personal injury case. I go to court in July and hopefully will receive a settlement soon (like end of July)/

I had ordered the car and specifically told them that I needed it around the end of July if humanly possible. It was scheduled for a May 10 build date.

It is supposed to show up on the 24th of June. No one gave me updates etc. and seemed to be annoyed when I called asking about how the whole process was going.

Anyway, that is what it is about.

Laura

Orion Blue, Oyster cloth, c2, auto, CD, teleaid

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2002, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Laura,

I'm having trouble following your story, but from what I understand, here is what I would do. First, the deal is done, there is no going back, love your car and enjoy it! ( It does sound like the dealer was a jerk and they did pull a bait and switch IMHO.)

If you need to know the history of the car try www.carfax.com. for $15, the site will tell you if the car was a lemon law buy back, and how the car was registered, ie, dealer, personal, etc. I found it useful when I was shoping for a car.

My guess is the car was not a lemon law buy back because the law sez, the dealer must tell you (unless they lied which they might of, and then sue 'em because they broke the law and were dishonest). Mostly likely, your car had problems, so someone trade it in, or they just wanted something else. Let's hope for the second!

BTW, the best car I ever bought was a dealer car with 20k miles on it.

As I said before, don't worry, nothing you can do. Just enjoy your car!

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 06-18-2002 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Laura, I just went to MBUSA and ran a build on a new C230 with the features you listed (I selected the pkge with the rain sensor and the roof) and it came to 28,550 not including the CD changer. Not sure how they got to 31K. Are you sure it doesn't have power seats, or headlamp washers??

There is NO reason why they cannot accept Eloan. This is like a cashiers check to them! The only reason why they would not is because they want to pressure you into a loan where they make some money out of it!

It sounds like the car that you test drove, and the one that you bought are two different cars! At least there is 5K difference on the speedo. This is known as "Bait and Switch". Also, did you ask for the records on the vehicle? Did you check the VIN to see if it was a lemon?? It sounds like you may have been taken by a high pressure sales team. I would read anything that you have signed very carefully to see if there is any way out, should you need it.

Last edited by revstriker; 06-18-2002 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Laura,

The part of the story I didn't understand is they gave you the car, but the financing is not approved yet? Is that correct? I would think that might give you an out. Until they approve you and you sign the loan papers, there is not a deal I would think. Anybody have any insights about this?

So, read your paperwork, see if there is an out. Push hard! If not, then push hard on the eloan issue. Eloan is like a cashiers check.

Also, here is another piece of advice. Don't go back to talk to the dealer alone. First, the sales guys will gang up on you and you'll feel out numbered and give in.

Also, I hate to say this, but bring a man with you! (I don't take crap from anyone, and I would not buy a car alone) Study after study show women are at a huge disadvantage buying a car alone.

When I was shopping for a car this time, I did some dealer visits buy myself and some with a friend. I got treated much better with a guy along (except the day I wore a short skirt and a tight shirt I just wanted to screw with the sales guys to see how they would treat me. It was a funny day, but that was a different story)

Hope this helps. Let's us know what happens!

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 06-18-2002 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Is there a 3-day right of cancellation in California? I believe in MD you can cancel any contract within 3 days -- you have to give the car back in exact condition and they give you back your trade, or equivalent cash, I think. I'm not an expert though, but your clock may be ticking!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by MarkL
Is there a 3-day right of cancellation in California? I believe in MD you can cancel any contract within 3 days -- you have to give the car back in exact condition and they give you back your trade, or equivalent cash, I think. I'm not an expert though, but your clock may be ticking!
Very good point!! I know that they have this law in both Ohio and Texas too! I would think that California would probably be on board with this as well....
Old 06-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k
No, California doesn't have a "Cooling Off" period, although MBLN
does have a 7 day trial exchange period. Don't think that it will help me though.

The issue is the financing.. I came in with a pre-approved loan. The sales guy knew that I had it since I handed it to him. But, the finance guy didn't know about it. I knew that it had been approved by eloan and the lender was Americredit.

I signed a contract for Mercedes Benz credit, while they told me that If they could get me the eloan then they would, but they had to check it out first (my first mistake).

They couldn't get me approved through Mercedes Benz (which I knew anyway, since they had tried already about 3 x's) so signing the contract didn't upset me too much.

I went in today and they put me on a "option contract". Which means that either they get the $ from Eloan or someone else. They told me that Americredit (who I am preapproved with through eloan) wouldn't buy me, and eloan has different guidelines and that is why I was approved that way. They have run my credit about 10 times already so you can imagine what my score is now!!.. The finance guy said that I was "extremely lucky to be able to buy this car now". I told him fine, I have no problems giving him back his keys and getting my trade back.

I think the whole problem was that I am upside down, I gave them 2 checks (one to cash now and one to hold till the end of the month) and Americredit won't accept "pick payments" so therein was the problem (supposedly).

And, I called the service guy back... They are fixing the paint tomorrow, but the car "HAD NEVER BEEN DETAILED SINCE THEY TOOK IT IN AS A TRADE". He apologized profusely and said that I can have it back tomorrow (I am driving a e320 loaner now).

All in all, I am sure that I won't ever buy another car from them again as the stress and experience isn't worth it. I expected MB service... and I only got it from the receptionist and the service guy..

Eh gads...

Laura... sorry for the long post...
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK Laura,

I'm trying to help here, not make your life more complicated, but I just checked www.carsdirect.com and in San Francisco for your car new, I got a price of 26,500 including desination. For $500 more you could get a new car. Add another $700 and you get the wheel package

These people have treated you poorly, there is always a huge risk with a used car. And for $500 more you can get a new one.

I say call Cars Direct and take the car back.

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 06-18-2002 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:30 PM

Laura, I bought my coupe from Penske West Covina, the price was 31,000 (28,000 + sales tax) out the door and had the exact options you had (Orion blue, C2, auto, tele-aid, minus the changer).

If there is a way to get out of what you got into then take it. Go buy a brand new one, otherwise do what galaxygrl says "Forget about it and enjoy your car".

Old 06-19-2002, 06:00 PM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Laura, get an attorney

quickly. With the bait and switch and deceptive loan tactics, you can easily sue under a Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Threaten them with this suit by having your lawyer write a demand letter, tell them you will go away if they accept your car and get a new car from another dealer. Deceptive Trade means you get 3X your damages
Old 06-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Congratulations on the car, IMO you will always find cheaper oportunities and it will look like someone ripped you off, but I think that as long as the car runs fine and you like it, you should forget about those other cheaper options you will find afterwards.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you are getting the run around think of one thing, I've been told the sales managers at MB of LN, all four of them earn 500K/yr each. If they can't take the time to help you then talk to one of the owners like Jeff or Penny Spellens. Bad press isn't going to help their cause and credit fraud isn't good press. Then if there's any chance that there is credit fraud involved look in the Register for the local section and under Laguna Niguel there will be a reporters name. Call the Register's local office in Lake Forest and speak to that person and see if they'll do an article for you. Then check with an attorney about what steps are next. I went to hell and back when the Irvine Ford dealer used lies and deceit to convince me to accept a substandard loan until I went home and did the math. After sending a letter to the owner as a final warning before a lawsuit was filed and I issued press releases to the media and stood outside their dealership with picket signs they relented and redid the finance contract. These finance people are mostly thieves and prey on the uninformed. I'll never buy another car without a laptop with me to verify the numbers.

Also, when I was there, they had several red tagged brand new cars as you described for 26,500. Of course that's without a CD changer. Even if the car costs a little more, the finance rates for a new car will usually make up the payment difference.

Good Luck, and if you cause a lot of grief for the dealer, remember, you don't know me! They've been more than good to me.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k
UPDATE!!

It looks like the car is mine (finally). The finance guy sent in all the paperwork like he was supposed to so everything seems okay now.

The service department detailed it for me and fixed up the paint so it looks pretty much brand new.

They are going to have me bring it back so that they can shampoo the seats and then it should be okay.

I asked for the service records on the car, but they said that they were unable to give them to me or let me look at them without the previous owners permission!!! How @#&*$$* is that!! Have you guys heard of that before???

On the switched car thing:

I looked at a car that had 5K miles on it. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the vin# when I looked at it, since when I looked at the website, they only had 2 C230K, (a black and a Orion blue one).

Apparently, the car I bought lists for 27k (I went back to the website and looked). I guess that either 1. Someone else bought the other blue car because i haven't seen it there since Saturday and that is why they put me in this car. Or, this car was 1k less than the car I looked at and to make the deal work, they put me in this car..

Well, that is it. Now, if I can only memorize the manual!!

If someone could let me know about that kooky thing with the service records, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Laura
Old 06-20-2002, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Their detailing department is excellent, it should look better than new as mine had a lot of swirls on it's first day.

Suprisingly, a long time ago I bought a used MB from a used car lot and took it to Mission Viejo Imports (their former name) and they showed me all the service records. You may have to shmooze the service writer. If they want the former owners permission then ask for that contact so you can call him, then you will get the straight scoop. Also you can go to DMV and they will give you that info. On the other hand you may not want to know, it may skew your perception of an otherwise perfect car.

The least they should tell you is what maintenance has already been done on the car so you don't repeat it or miss an important service.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I don't understand why they would need the prior owners permission to at least tell you what the car has been serviced for. After all, it shouldn't have been in too many times.

I still think that the dealer pulled a fast one on you with this deal. But what's done is done. Enjoy your new car!!
Old 06-20-2002, 04:27 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
congrats.........welcome to the club~~~~!!

dave
Old 06-21-2002, 10:49 AM

2002 c230k
The dealer must give you the complete history of the car under full disclosure. It is your right in California to know the complete history of the vehicle, the previous owner has nothing to do with it, period. They are hiding something from you. If so, threaten to sue and get a new car. It might be a pain in the butt now, but it will save you big in the long run. Just do it, remember that they don't give a damn about you so you have to take the offensive.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Laura,

It does sound like they are not be honest with you! These people did a classic bait and switich and now they are lying to you. I would think there is something wrong with the car.

You spent a lot money on this car. As some one who has had lots of car problems twice, if you can cut this off at the pass, I would say do so.

Beth