C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weather effects on Supercharged I4s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by delbomber
Given that the 240 is offered only with a 5-speed and the C230 is optimized for the 6-, I respectfully disagree.

And you're right, both of these cars are slow...slower than just about anything anyone has tried to make fast, including the friggin' Corolla Sport. But then, who's driving the Corolla Sport and who's driving the Benz?

Cheers.
well if the 3.46 rear end and the same exact spacing on each of the 5 forward gears means the C240 has different gearing I am miffed Not trying to be rude here but the cars has the same shift poits. There is no "optimized for the 6-speed" -- it still runs a 3.46 rear-end.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
well if the 3.46 rear end and the same exact spacing on each of the 5 forward gears means the C240 has different gearing I am miffed Not trying to be rude here but the cars has the same shift poits. There is no "optimized for the 6-speed" -- it still runs a 3.46 rear-end.

No no no....the fastest c240 is an auto, that's all they offer...it's poorly geared, same as the auto c230...but they offer a stick for the 230, which every damn publication on earth is quoted as saying Mercedes has lowered the ratio for first gear for quicker acceleration off the line in addition to shortening the spacing between all other gears, while adding an overdrive sixth gear for quiet, low-rev highway cruising for fuel economy...

Clearly, the gearing is different, and the 5-speed auto in these cars is bush league. So, after all is said and done, the C240 is poorly geared Put next to a nicely geared 6-speed, 99 times out of 100, it doesn't stand a chance, video evidence or not.

WHile this is fun to debate, I must reiterate that it's irrelevant. The C230 is a much sexier car regardless...

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
No no no....the fastest c240 is an auto, that's all they offer...it's poorly geared, same as the auto c230...but they offer a stick for the 230, which every damn publication on earth is quoted as saying Mercedes has lowered the ratio for first gear for quicker acceleration off the line in addition to shortening the spacing between all other gears, while adding an overdrive sixth gear for quiet, low-rev highway cruising for fuel economy...

Cheers.
The manual trans was offered in the C240 in several past model years. In fact, the too short 1st and 2nd, as well as the minimal difference between 5th and 6th is a direct result of this tranny having to be used in everything from a Manual C320 to the weezing C240- which would have struggled with a taller 1st and 2nd that both the C320 and C230M111 cars really deserved.

Dragging out 1st and 2nd enough to reach 60 in 2 gears would likely have shaved as much as a half second off the 0-60 times, just by avoiding that shift into third at 53mph. A half second doesn't sound like much, but consider that published times for the C320 and C230-M111 are as low as 6.8 and 7.1 with the current manual. Neither time is really fast by todays standards. But, 6.3 and 6.6 to sixty are definately much more competive times.

Don't misunderstand, I despise the automatic-all automatics for that matter- but the manual isn't as well sorted as it should be. It makes hay on the auto by virtue of its additional gear, and more effecient operation(less driveline loss).
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by jedcred
Any easy way to tell if you need one?
I would try a STTFF first. If you don't score, tell the dealer the car feels sluggish.

I'm a M111 owner myself, so I don't always pay attention to the M271 threads. But I do remember a thread about this problem here, and at MBKlasse.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 AM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by Outland
A half second doesn't sound like much, but consider that published times for the C320 and C230-M111 are as low as 6.8 and 7.1 with the current manual. Neither time is really fast by todays standards. But, 6.3 and 6.6 to sixty are definately much more competive times.
Isn't it funny what a difference six or seven years makes? Sub-7 seconds was outstanding for anything built in the decade before the mid-90's. Now I'm reading about tin box Sentras running sub-7. Almost everything these days is "fast enough" IMO, and unless you're a racer, there are so many other important factors. God knows no one is choosing these cars (<C350) for their stock speed.

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Isn't it funny what a difference six or seven years makes? Sub-7 seconds was outstanding for anything built in the decade before the mid-90's. Now I'm reading about tin box Sentras running sub-7. Almost everything these days is "fast enough" IMO, and unless you're a racer, there are so many other important factors. God knows no one is choosing these cars (<C350) for their stock speed.

Cheers.
Even racing, you can have all the HP in the world and your 0-60 times can be in the 4's. If you can't turn... A good example is a Miata at CMP. The guy had R compound tires and good camber, but close to 50 or more less HP. He was able to carry enough speed out of the turns I didn't gain on him on the straights. I really had to hit EVERY turn PERFECT to catch him.

Another great example was the C32 at Virginia International Raceway. All weekend, once we got to the straight, he'd be long gone, but then in the turns, I would catch him either by the end of the braking zone or the exit of the turn (or complex of turns). The C32 was "soberingly fast" on the straights though.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by Outland
The manual trans was offered in the C240 in several past model years. In fact, the too short 1st and 2nd, as well as the minimal difference between 5th and 6th is a direct result of this tranny having to be used in everything from a Manual C320 to the weezing C240- which would have struggled with a taller 1st and 2nd that both the C320 and C230M111 cars really deserved.

Dragging out 1st and 2nd enough to reach 60 in 2 gears would likely have shaved as much as a half second off the 0-60 times, just by avoiding that shift into third at 53mph. A half second doesn't sound like much, but consider that published times for the C320 and C230-M111 are as low as 6.8 and 7.1 with the current manual. Neither time is really fast by todays standards. But, 6.3 and 6.6 to sixty are definately much more competive times.

Don't misunderstand, I despise the automatic-all automatics for that matter- but the manual isn't as well sorted as it should be. It makes hay on the auto by virtue of its additional gear, and more effecient operation(less driveline loss).
Has anyone here had their tranny custom geared by a machine shop? A slightly taller 1st and second to hit 60 in second like almost near redline, and a taller 6th to put you at around 2000RPM at 65 Mph, and then evenly spacing the other gears. That would be a nicer setup, at least for me!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:30 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by nukblazi
Even racing, you can have all the HP in the world and your 0-60 times can be in the 4's. If you can't turn...
How the hell are you supposed to heel-toe in this car without contorting your entire body? The damn floor-hinged pedal...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Thats not really the problem. The problem is that manufactures are tring to idiotproof the cars and stagger the gas and brake pedal. Its a good inch and a half difference between the two, then they are also seperated by a decent amount. I stopped wearing my driving shoes and use my Etnies for driving 'cause the wide sole helps alot more in this car. I tried to adjust the gas pedal a little higher but could do it. I wonder if the parts department has a spare pedal assembly I could borrow to make a riser?!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by nukblazi
Even racing, you can have all the HP in the world and your 0-60 times can be in the 4's. If you can't turn... A good example is a Miata at CMP. The guy had R compound tires and good camber, but close to 50 or more less HP. He was able to carry enough speed out of the turns I didn't gain on him on the straights. I really had to hit EVERY turn PERFECT to catch him.
The Miata's power to weight ratio is probably as good as yours if he's done any modding to the engine. That's a light car- probably the last of the truly light production cars. Nowdays anything less than 3K is light. Lazy designers, gobs of crash protection equipment, sound proofing, it all adds up. My Saturn SC Coupe wieghed 2300lbs. Even when it was stock, making a paltry 124Hp it went like snot, and handled quite good. With some mods, CAI, Headers, exhaust, Overbored TB, it probably made 145HP. When the button was down, an extra 50HP allowed it smoke anything asian on the street at the time, and made plenty of late c4 Vettes nervous. Now the Vette had a good 100HP on me, but also weighed a full 1000lbs more.

Lets say you are making 250HP in your car. Pretty good estimate, pullied, engine well broken in, lightweight flywheel, exhaust, etc. The C32 is probably only slightly heavier, but has nearly a full 100HP on you. No surprise he sprints for the exit after each turn.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Has anyone here had their tranny custom geared by a machine shop? A slightly taller 1st and second to hit 60 in second like almost near redline, and a taller 6th to put you at around 2000RPM at 65 Mph, and then evenly spacing the other gears. That would be a nicer setup, at least for me!
I was thinking about this possibility just today!!!!!