C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Can someone explain how the pulley . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
What waterpump pulley? The only thing on the outside plane of the crankshaft pulley is a tensioner pulley, a idler pulley, a alternator pulley and the supercharger pulley.
D'oh!

You're right, my bad. Not sure what I was thinking on that one. Now I can't even remember where the heck it was I saw problems spinning a waterpump too fast. Hmmm... Too many projects going on around here I guess. :o
Old 06-23-2002, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by young
the renntech kit comes w/ a tensioner pulley.
So, when are you getting it? I wonder why they would change the tensioner pulley, it's not in the way, changing it's size wouldn't make a difference and probably a pain to replace and expensive to make. They must have their reasons. Take a picture of the entire kit when you get it...
Old 06-23-2002, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
i've been asked to sign a non-disclosure form

it's just a big heavy ring, a small lighter ring and an off the shelf belt. no RENNTECH letters.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+

I have the alloy group buy pulley. It's $350 (U.S.) and should be available soon. Let me or Timmy know if you are interested. Once it's available the group buy list will be notified.
What belt fits the new pulley? It can't be the stock one, right?
Old 06-24-2002, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Young,

That's is sooo funnyl, a non-disclosure for a pulley. So it's a steel ring like the Kleemann ring that goes over the pulley and idler pulley? Doesn't sound like $1,600 worth to me. I guess that's why they are so secretive, if the word got out nobody would buy it. They are one of the very few that won't post a picture of it. We considered a steel ring that can be sold for about $99 but it just looked to cheezy for even a Honda let alone an MB. Also we where concerned about the additional weight on the outer rim of such a large pulley may cause the damper to seperate like the problems on the 3.2 motor where it destroyed the motor when it came apart. In case you are not familiar with your pulley, it's made from two pieces, a inner part that attaches to the crank and the outer part that has the two pulley rings. What holds these two halves together is some rubber like compound injected between then that acts as a glue to hold the pieces together and help isolate belt line vibrations. Imagine adding a few pounds to the outermost part of that spinning at 6,000 RPM. The forces are incredible. Also check into how they attached to the factory pulley. Can you return the pulley to it's original state if you want to?

Vadim,

Any standard 6 rib 56" belt will do. It's the same belt used on a Chevy 454 panel van, a Dodge Stratus V6 2.5 and it's Chrysler Sebring brother and on the V6 Chevy Caprice. For the record, I'm using a Dynaflex 560K6 by Dayco I got at Pep Boys for $18.95. If you like to stay stock looking and match the other belt, the Contitech 1420 should also work (59.91") but I haven't tried it. The factory S/C belt is a Contitech 1355 (53.35").
Old 06-24-2002, 01:52 AM

2002 C230 Coupe

I have the alloy group buy pulley. It's $350 (U.S.) and should be available soon. Let me or Timmy know if you are interested. Once it's available the group buy list will be notified.
how about the installation cost?
i've heard ppl mentioned about slow response when the ambient temp. is above 75F, does this happen to the pulley u're using??
and, i wonder if i need to drive down to ur area if i go with ur group buy...
Old 06-24-2002, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can certainly tell there is more power at night when it's cool than when it's hot during the day without any pulley changes. It's just the nature of forced induction although a normally aspirated engine will also perform better when it's cool out. This is because cooler air is more dense. On forced induction cars the intercooler is more effective when it's cooler outside.

As for installation, it's either DIY job (takes about an hour and doesn't require power tools or a lift if you have a 6-spd). Or you can take it to the shop of your choice. Maybe Dynospot in your area can put it in for you since they don't make a pulley of their own for the C-Coupe (older SLKs only). Besides they would love to get their hands on this one because they are trying to make one themselves. If you have an automatic and no access to air tools you may want to take it somewhere. It's just harder to remove the bolt that holds the pulley on an automatic without an air gun because you have no easy way to keep the crank from spinning along with the bolt with hand tools.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:26 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Buellwinkle

ok i have a 6 spd with no air tools
if an installation instruction will be given i surely can install it myself, or i can just ask u when running into problems
and i also need to change the belt right?

so count me in the group buy, what info do u need from me?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
just to be clear, i was just kidding about a non-disclosure form
Old 06-24-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by 20FHK02

i've heard ppl mentioned about slow response when the ambient temp. is above 75F, does this happen to the pulley u're using??
thats were a biger intercooler comes into play. Not only does it give the car more HP but it also keeps it running cooler overall. Something that is always good is a cooler running car. from what I know now there should be a upgraded intercooler coming out for the coupe in the coming months. Its an easy install, its a couple bolts and some hoses.

just a thought, you guys know that other intake inlet that is to the left of the star in the grille. I wonder if we opened that up if it would get the engine cooler. I know it wouldnt help HP but I like cool engines/
Old 06-24-2002, 10:15 AM

'02 C230K Coupe
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy

just a thought, you guys know that other intake inlet that is to the left of the star in the grille. I wonder if we opened that up if it would get the engine cooler. I know it wouldnt help HP but I like cool engines/
I saw that too. Don't think it was designed to serve any purpose other than show that the car was symmetricaly built. (Maybe they were saving it for the AMG version). I'd avoid opening it because I think it would just allow a lot of dust and water to invade into the engine area.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
i had also thought about that.

Man, I want my Pulley, Chip, and Intercooler.

In all honesty i will get an intercooler before i would get a chip. The intercooler is easier to install and you have to send you ECU off to have t programed, and the MB center can still tell if it has been tampered with. The intecooler is an easy DIY job. So if you are worried about the MB center finding the intercooler you take an hour or so and replace stock intercooler. Most MB centers will not be see the different pulley if they are just changing oil etc.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The second air intake is used for the six cylinder engines.

Tim, the chip makers claim that the DAS computer cannot recognize any software changes in the ECU. A different intercooler would be instantly recognizable to any MB technician.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Buellwinkle

Originally posted by 20FHK02
ok i have a 6 spd with no air tools
if an installation instruction will be given i surely can install it myself, or i can just ask u when running into problems
and i also need to change the belt right?

so count me in the group buy, what info do u need from me?
I'm working on the installation instuctions. I have a series of 20 pictures showing a lot of detail. I just need to get it into a PDF file with text. I'm certainly available if you have questions. Send me your e-mail address to Buellwinkle@***.net and I'll send you the details on how to get a group buy pulley.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is there a pulley made available for the C32????

I am also looking to change the rear differnetial, anyone has any info?

TIA
Old 06-24-2002, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Harris
Is there a pulley made available for the C32????

I am also looking to change the rear differnetial, anyone has any info?

TIA
I believe that Kleemann has something for the C32 or is working on it. You might try contacting them or Evosport.

The C320 has a 3.23 rear gear, while the C240 has a 3.46 and the C230k has a 3.27. My guess is that they will bolt right in to a C32. However, if I had a C32, I would explore the possibilties of getting a limited slip differential from Quaife or Torsen.

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/
http://www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm
http://www.torsen.com/

Thr British Quaife site mentions Mercedes applications, but doesn't show any in the application guide. They also say they will make a batch for special order, so you might want to check with other C32 owners. There may be some coupe owners who would be interested also. Most BMW apps are priced at US$1295.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The C180 sedan in Australia has a 3.67 rear gear ratio. This is the highest numerical ratio I've heard of on the C-Class and Randy (Renncpe) has it on his C230 Coupe.

There is a company making a pulley kit for the SLK32 and should also fit the C32. Check/ask the SLK forums at mbnz.org.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

In case you are not familiar with your pulley, it's made from two pieces, a inner part that attaches to the crank and the outer part that has the two pulley rings. What holds these two halves together is some rubber like compound injected between then that acts as a glue to hold the pieces together and help isolate belt line vibrations.

FYI- This is NOT how Coupe pulleys are built. The "damper" is an isolated ring (the rubber compound you spoke of) located on the backside of the pulley- it has no belt force throught it (it even has the dampening freq enumerated on the ring).

The Coupe pulley is steel from the hub to the outer edge.

What you are explaining is a V6 (M112)/ V8 (M113) pulley- are you sure you have taken yours off ?
Old 06-24-2002, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes it's off. Want to race
Old 06-24-2002, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yes it's off. Want to race

You betcha!
Old 06-24-2002, 10:54 PM

If you have seen my previous thread, I'm about to lease a new C230K. My salesman is a bit of a performance enthusiast and even, apparently, hangs out in this forum. He seemed to indicate that their dealership doesn't have problems with pulleys and mods, as long as you tell them beforehand so they can make note in case an overzealous new service tech might get freaked out. They can make sure my vehicle goes to a tech who knows what's going on.

Reading this forum, this sounds fairly uncommon. Does anybody else have a service center that is as "nudge and wink" cool about these sort of things?

-- Robert
Old 06-24-2002, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
mine kinda is. They will set any computer setting you want to fuss. They could care less about intakes, exhaust etc. But they dont like chips, pullies etc.