C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

OEM Xenon Leveling Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Xenon Leveling Problem?

Hello everyone,
I own an '02 (March production) C240 6sp with factory Xenons. Last night on my way home, I noticed that the headlight beam seemed a little odd...as I pulled into my driveway, I could see that the driver's side headlight was aimed WAY higher than the passenger's side. It was really noticable against my garage door. It was about a foot higher than the pass side (even with the pass sides' angled pattern)....and NO, noboby hit the headlight. Has anyone else had this happen?? i tried switching them on and off to see if the level would reset, but it stayed at the same height. I'd hate to take it to the dealer and have them simply manually screw the headlight assembly down instead of fixing the real problem which I believe to be the auto leveling. Any ideas?

Thanks,
SK
02 C240 6sp White/Java C2,3,4 Xenon, Bose, Mudflaps
Old 06-23-2002, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
SK, when I start my car w/ the light switch in "auto" position in a dark place (like my garage, or at night), they come on immediately upon starting up, and I can see the beam pattern move up as they adjust. Have you noticed this? I think the lights make this initial adjustment when you first start up, so you might want to try it and watch both lights and see what happens. Then you could see if the driver's side stays high from the very start, or if it just moves into the wrong position. Anyway, just a thought. In any event, it sounds like something the dealer should check. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2002, 12:29 PM

Mark, Thanks for the tip.....it worked!
I usually don't use the auto function because it turns the lights on every time I pull the car out of the garage day or night (I guess my garage is a little dark). Started it up with Auto on, and the height reset itself to normal. Both headlights "leveled" so I guess the function is still operative. The only thing I can't figure out is why it would point so high in the first place. I think I'll still have the dealer check it out in during Service A. Other than this, The car has been perfect (5k so far), no rattles, sqeeks nothing. A far cry from my rattlebox integra...Honda builds great engines, that's about it.

Thanks Again!
02 C240 White/Java C2,3,4 Xenons, Bose, Cd, Mupflaps
Old 06-23-2002, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Yeah, after the first week or so, I started leaving the headlights in the "off" position since I didn't want them coming on everytime I entered my garage or started up in the garage -- from what I've read, Xenons are sensitive to multiple starts. If I'm out toward evening though, I'll usually set it to "auto" to let it do it's thing.

So, your driver's side headlight seems to be aimed correctly now, or it's still higher?