C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mirror drift updates. Any solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Question Mirror drift updates. Any solutions?

My mirrors still have "the drifts" and I know others do too (MB-Bob?).

I'm wondering if anyone has had the problem fixed or is MB "still working on it..."

For the newbies: My mirrors move on their own at some point without me telling them to. I don't know if it's only related to the C1 option. If I press in the memory knob the mirrors move back to the stored position. Sometimes it's just a little, other times their waaay-out. My guess is that the mirrors get a little "jolt" when the car is turned on and move just slightly. After a few starts all these slight movements add up to equall mirrors that are way out of the position they are supposed to be in.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it maybe related to the C1 option because my mirrors dont' do that...
Old 06-24-2002, 01:39 PM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
I don't have that option either and my mirrors never move without my command.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:49 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I also have that same problem....seems like I am hitting the preset button once a day. I am going to have them check this...have my next service here soon. But it has been a problem since the beginning. Sometimes it does not move..other times it "drifts" daily. I dont believe I am closing the door too hard.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Sometimes it does not move..other times it "drifts" daily. I dont believe I am closing the door too hard.
Same. Same.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:10 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
avlis, my mirrors will drift ocassionally, but there's no pattern to it. I'd have to make 8 trips to the service department before they would find anything. It's not a problem for me at this point, but if I had to reset them daily, it would be annoying.

shtatc, if your mirrors are drifting daily, maybe you can take the point on this scouting mission with the dealer. I read somewhere that this was a known issue and that a fix was coming, but I don't know whether there's any truth in it. If there is a service bulletin on this, we'll need the number for all to pursue.

I would think this to be a generic MB issue, not confined just to C-Class, as visually, they use the same memory mechanisms.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:38 PM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Mine does the same thing. If I turn the easy exit feature off or auto flip feature off, then it works fine. Moreover, I noticed that the system remembers the last position at the time of taking the keys out instead of the the memory. If I press the M button, then it goes back to whatever position I set otherwise it just goes back the last position if I insert the key.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Almost a Member!

C270CDI Avantgarde 2001 Sedan AMG rims and skirts
I too have to reset my mirrors. But I don't know if it's the samen problem. Only my right mirror drifts. As far as I can see it has to do with the mirror adjust feature when using reverse. As long as I don't use reverse the mirror is fine. When I select reverse the mirror goes down automatically but about half the time it doesn't come back up ok. Pressing the memory button fixes it.
Have been to the dealer for this, but they couldn't resolve it.

Mark
Old 06-24-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Yep - same thing. I don't know about a "C1" option (memory seats? - they came standard on my car)

I took it in and they said Mercedes was aware of the problem.

I was hoping they had figured it out. Sounds like "nope"!
Old 06-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Almost a Member!

C270CDI Avantgarde 2001 Sedan AMG rims and skirts
Originally posted by jswedberg
Yep - same thing. I don't know about a "C1" option (memory seats? - they came standard on my car)

It was an option on mine. Sometimes it helps to set the mirror postion for reverse again. But only for a short while.

I took it in and they said Mercedes was aware of the problem.

I was hoping they had figured it out. Sounds like "nope"!
Ah, at lease they are aware of it. When I was at the dealer they hadn't heard about it. We're making progress

Mark
Old 06-24-2002, 05:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i have that same problem on my C32. it seems like this type of problem only appears on the current C-class. my sister's CLK320 has no such complain. i remember reading some article on this subject and they say there might be a bug in the memory software that is used on the current C-class. i don't think there is any solutions so far.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:39 AM
Almost a Member!

MB C320
Yes, I don't think there is a solution yet. I ask the service department whenever I go there (and that's often with all the other problems with my car), and the answer is that MB is working on it. It ought to be just be a question of downloading new software. I assume that the car's firmware is in flash memory or something like it that can be reprogrammed?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
It is only on the cars with C1. Non-C1 cars have no memory and no drift.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Update:
I brought my car in last week and mentioned the mirror drift thinking I get the "sorry, no fix for that" speach.

The adviser came back and said they did "version coding". I'm guessing this is a software update. Anyway, to my surprise, the problem seems to be fixed. So, if you guys still have wandering mirrors, bring it up at your next service visit.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by avlis
Update:
I brought my car in last week and mentioned the mirror drift thinking I get the "sorry, no fix for that" speach.

The adviser came back and said they did "version coding". I'm guessing this is a software update. Anyway, to my surprise, the problem seems to be fixed. So, if you guys still have wandering mirrors, bring it up at your next service visit.
avlis, on your warranty repair ticket, there should be a line concerning this, "customer says..." followed by the dealer resolution statement. Can you tell us what it says, including any codes referencing the "version coding?" Sometimes they print information that we all can use... Thanks.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Bob, I looked at the slip again before I left home (because I knew I'd be posting this). It says I complained of the mirror drifting from memory position. The resolution statement says "performed version codeing" and then something about it "checking out ok" after that was done. There is no other technical info (like a revision number or something).

The mirror hasn't moved from it's position in 3 days (wow!).
Old 11-04-2002, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
We have both a 2002 C230K and a 2002 C320
Off topic: Jeff, for godsake please see this thread and see if you can help us out! https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=17211
Old 11-04-2002, 07:49 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
You may not actually have a steering wheel position problem. Read the manual carefully. It says that the wheel will return to the position it was when the key was turned off. That means that if for some reason you take two key turns to start the car (if it did not start the first time, for example) the first "key off" movement will then set the steering wheel position as the last position and then only return to that position when key turn number two starts the car.

It does not return the wheel to a memory position, only the last position when the key was removed.