C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 alloy pulley installation pictures

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-24-2002, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 alloy pulley installation pictures

I'm not done with the instructions but you are more than welcome to see anotated pictures taken during my install. This applies to the C230K 6-spd only. The automatic trans may require removal of the electric fan to get enough room to fit an air impact gun in there to remove the pulley bolt. As with any mods to your car, you take the risk of installating it yourself and I assume no responsibilty.

Pulley Install Pics (password is buellwinkle)
Old 06-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
Need a pswd. for your album.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:09 PM

2002 CL500
Password is: buellwinkle
Old 06-24-2002, 03:32 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Nice pics!

Looks like a pretty easy thing to do, and to reverse if you ever wanted to.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:49 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Thanks Buellwinkle,

Can you give us some tech. details on this pulley? For example who's making it, how much HP/TQ is gained, cost, risks etc.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by VoyagerDude
Thanks Buellwinkle,

Can you give us some tech. details on this pulley? For example who's making it, how much HP/TQ is gained, cost, risks etc.
You must have missed the other post from timmy announcing availability. It's T6061 billet with a steel sleeve that is black anodized (but you can get whatever color you want). It's made by ASP Racing and you can go to their website to order at www.aspracing.com. It's $350 for the pulley and you supply your own 6-rib, 56" belt (less than $20). Another alloy pulley company is advertising 232 hp (or 200 whp). My guess is that all pulley kits get about the same power since you are limited by the pulley layout, the alloy pullies do about 10hp higher

I haven't done a dyno but there is plenty of new found power.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Thanks, Buellwinkle! Awesome job!
Old 06-24-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
looks good! nice job. it really helped clarify what needs to be done for a pulley upgrade to me. i assume removing either the alternator pulley or the tensioner pulley is somewhat similar.

i notice that your pulley is solid whereas the oem and kleemann's have openings. does that matter?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:45 PM

MB coupe.
Great pictures.

What a great pictorial for getting that job done.

27mm bolt is a monster! How do you keep the crank from turning while you put some weight on the wrench? I assume this was the hardest part of the job.

This looks very doable, in a home shop. Thanks for the great pics, I am sure they will be searched many times in the coming months.

Smoky
Old 06-24-2002, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smokey,

on a 6-spd just put the car in gear and parking brake on and the crank will turn about 1/2 turn to take up slack and then it's locked in place. For automatics it's a little harder because you can't hold the crank in place. For that remove the electric fan and use an air impact gun to remove it.

Young,

The alternator pulley is more difficult. You need to really get under the car and remove the altenator completely. Then use an air impact gun to remove the bolt. I've seen this on a Kleemann pulley install and it almost doubles the time to install the kit.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installtion Instructions

ASP ALLOY PULLEY
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Pictures available on http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291731471 Use buellwinkle as the password. Clicking on a picture will show a much larger image if you need to view the detail or want to print it.

1. Remove battery cover by releasing the 3 clips (picture 1)
2. Disconnect black negative battery terminal (picture 2)
3. Remove plastic pan under the engine (picture 3). Picture 4 shows location of 6 screws and picture 5 shows underside of engine with pan removed. You may have to jack the car up to get underneath. Use jack stands for safety reason.
4. Put the car in 6th gear and put the emergency brake on.
6. Remove gray plastic engine cover by oil dipstick. Just pull straight up. Picture 6 shows cover removed (picture 6). It require effort as the clips are tight.
7. Loosen hose clamp on left side of air filter box that says Mercedes Benz in silver in front of the engine (picture 7)
8. Remove screw on right side of air filter box (picture 8)
9. Remove intake hose on right side of air filter box by pressing on clip that sticks out and pull hose away from air filter box and pull straight up (picture 9)
10. Picture 10 shows the air filter box from the front so you have an idea of how it comes off
11. Picture 11 shows the various pulleys with the air filter box removed. The big one in the middle is the one being replaced.
12. You’ll need a long handle ratchet or breaker bar with a short extension and a 27mm socket as shown in picture 12.
13. Turn pulley bolt counter clockwise (picture 13)
14. Remove bolt & washers from pulley (picture 14)
15. See picture 15 for location of both tensioner pulleys. Using a long handled ratchet, turn the bolt on the front of the pulley counter clockwise to release pressure on the belt and hold while you remove the belts.
16. Remove the pulley by pulling from the front or underneath the car. You may have to use leverage from behind the pulley to convince it to come out.
17. Pictures 17-19 show the difference between the 2 pulleys
18. Picture 20 shows the crankshaft and key. It makes life easier if the key is on top. To nudge it, reconnect the battery and tap the ignition to bring this to the top. Do not start the car. Then disconnect the battery again.
19. Using white out or chalk, mark where on the pulley the slot for the key is (see picture 21). Then align the key on the crankshaft to the slot for the key on the pulley and carefully guide it in. Insert the bolt and tighten it to push the pulley in place. It should not require any real effort and the pulley should glide in place using the bolt to push. If it binds then you didn’t line up the key with the slot. Do not force the pulley in place. Use a lubricant on the crankshaft to prevent scoring it. Tighten per manufacturers specs.
20. Replace belts using a new 56” 6-rib belt in place of the factory S/C belt. Use the diagram in the owner’s manual if you forgot how to route the belt.
21. Reconnect battery and start engine to make sure everything is running smooth. Check the idler pulley (the little one above the tensioner) for shaking; make sure the belts are on each and every pulley correctly and running smoothly. There should not be any unusual noises or vibration other than a slightly louder S/C whine. Shut the engine off.
22. Put the air filter box back in making sure that the plugs on the bottom of the box fit into the grommets they were intended to go into. Put the battery cover back on the battery. The battery cover contains the in cabin filter, you may want to replace it if it looks dirty.
23. Put the plastic pan back on underneath the motor using the 6 screws.
24. Test drive. There should not be any unusual sounds coming from the motor. You will here a high-pitched whine when you accelerate hard. This is normal.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:08 PM

pulley

Great Job Buellwinkle!

I went to asp's site and could not find a pulley for the c230? Did I miss it? I also missed timmy's post regarding the release of the pulley.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's on a custom order basis. Call them and ask for Lee. They didn't anticipate making many so they don't have an inventory. They make pullies for dozens of cars. Once people start buying it through word of mouth they will keep some in stock. Because each one is made to order you can pick a different color than black if you want to go wild. You can't see the pulley unless you get rid of the air filter box and do a custom intake.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
kit

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
You must have missed the other post from timmy announcing availability. It's T6061 billet with a steel sleeve that is black anodized (but you can get whatever color you want). It's made by ASP Racing and you can go to their website to order at www.aspracing.com. It's $350 for the pulley and you supply your own 6-rib, 56" belt (less than $20).
That's a good price, man. I wonder what the "exclusive" name suppliers of $900 and up pulleys think about this new competition?

Good work Buelli.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Installtion Instructions

ASP ALLOY PULLEY
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
...Tighten per manufacturers specs...
What's the manufacturer's spec on the pulley bolt torque?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:39 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
great job buell.
you have really done well. i hope everyone appreciates your work. i certainly do. can't wait to see the actual results on the dyno, it felt faster. now all you need is drag racing school. lol.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Clint. I finally finished merging the text and pictures into one document.

Click here to view install document
Old 06-25-2002, 03:01 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
Buellwinkle, Why do you have to take the pan off under the engine? It looks like everything happens from the top unless you have to drop the pulley out the bottom or something. Did I miss something in the install guide?
Old 06-25-2002, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not 100% necessary to remove the pan but I'll present two reasons, 1) you get better leverage pulling the pulley out from the bottom but it can be done from the top, 2) if you drop anything in the engine compartment, and you will (specially if you don't remove the pan), you'll need to remove the pan to retrieve it.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:19 PM

C230
Buellwinkle. Great Job!! with the Pictures. I have a couple of questions.

1) I know you haven’t dyno’d it yet but how does it feel, what is the buttdyno telling you.

2) Given that the Alternator is also spinning faster, any impacts. Increase in Noise from the Alt, any MB Malfunction messages, power problems, etc..? Any guess on how much the increased Alt speed is taking away in HP? Do they or are they working on a reduced Alt pulley to get it back to normal speed?

3) MB’s specification on the pulley bolt torque?
Old 06-25-2002, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car is much faster now and the S/C whine is more pronounced when you floor it. It kinda sounds like a mini jet engine.

The alternator is spinning about 19% faster but since most tuners do not include a larger altenator pulley and there haven't been any problems reported it must be OK. When I asked Renntech they told me that most of the time it's not charging and free spinning so their is little or not drag on the motor and no additional stress on the altenator. No additional noise comes from the altenator.

I' not sure what the factory torque specs are but I've heard 185 ft. lbs. which is a lot so tighten it with all your strength. If anybody knows, let us know as it would help out those with torque wrenches.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
The car is much faster now and the S/C whine is more pronounced when you floor it. It kinda sounds like a mini jet engine.

The alternator is spinning about 19% faster but since most tuners do not include a larger altenator pulley and there haven't been any problems reported it must be OK. When I asked Renntech they told me that most of the time it's not charging and free spinning so their is little or not drag on the motor and no additional stress on the altenator. No additional noise comes from the altenator.

I' not sure what the factory torque specs are but I've heard 185 ft. lbs. which is a lot so tighten it with all your strength. If anybody knows, let us know as it would help out those with torque wrenches.
Thanks for taking time to post all those pics and directions they are very helpful.
Now i just wish u lived closer to me so i can have u install it.
And try going back to the track i hope u can do better than a 16.1 with the new pully. LOL
Old 06-26-2002, 08:32 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i was wondering something. all of the installs of the pulley begin with disconnecting the battery. what if you didn't. i don't think that there is anything electrical being touched. i wonder if the performance would be the same? could there possibly be an improvement by not disconnecting the battery?
Old 06-26-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have several issues if you don't disconnect the battery;

1) the ECU needs to be reset for at least 20 minutes so it can re-calculate the new fuel mixture and ignition curves for the additional boost, failing to do so may cause a lean condition and wrong timing that may damage your engine. It may take a week for the ECU to adapt to the additional boost otherwise.

2) there is a possibility that turning the crank on the engine while loosening or tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt may start your engine should you have left your ignition on. This can't be good for your hands and arms

3) you are working around the altenator and other wiring with metal tools or even heavy air tools and you may get shocked and/or cause a short in a live circuit should you slip.

DISCLAIMER

These instructions were derived from information gathered observing installations of an ASP crankshaft pulley intended for a 2002 Mercedes Benz C230. The installation was not done by a professional mechanic and is not intended to come across as such. This information is provided as a convenience to assist the public in knowing what's involved in the installing of an ASP crankshaft pulley on the C230. The author does not ensure that the instructions will contain up-to-date or complete information and may contain errors and omissions, including, but not limited to, technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. The information provided in this document is provided "as is" without representations or warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied. Each person attempting to install their own pulley using these instructions assumes full responsibility and all risks arising from the use and reliance on the information provided.

IN NO EVENT WILL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PHYSICAL, LEGAL, LOST SAVINGS, DAMAGE TO YOU CAR OR OTHER INCIDENTIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:11 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
wow, that is quite a disclaimer. it seems that you don't want to be responsible when some idiot tears off their arm, and sues everone in sight. like the stupid cases we have all heard about when the fat lady spills coffee in her lap, and sues mcdonalds because her coffee was too hot. and you know darn well, that she would have been the first to complain if it wasn't hot enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C230 alloy pulley installation pictures