C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Those with H&R Coilovers - do you have a rattling from the rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
Those with H&R Coilovers - do you have a rattling from the rear shocks?

Those who have H&R Coilovers, do you have a rattling noise coming from your rear shocks? My passenger side rear shock is causing rattling noise when going over uneven pavement. It causes some rattling noise like the shock is jiggling around and hitting the body where the shock mount is. Happens on uneven pavement and not on large bumps and dips.

I had it checked out and it appears to be coming from a metal collar around the shock piston rod at the top. Its located where the plastic dust boot/shield is and looks like this.

After the mechanic checked everywhere for the rattling noise and added a bunch of rubber bushings, it finally turned out to be this piece that was causing the noise. He wrapped it in a bunch of tape and it went away. A few days later, the rattling noise came back. The tape was wrapped on the outside of the collar and I guess he jammed it back in there and it sat snug so it wasn't moving around anymore.

Is anybody else having this problem? Are there any other solutions to it? I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen. Maybe I should just persuade myself that lowered + 19s is bound to cause rattling of some sort and just turn up the music.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Yeah i have that annoying rattle, i haven't done anything to fix it, i guess i'm used to it. Just upgrade your stereo and you'll find the problem is gone
Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by W0n6_3d4n
Yeah i have that annoying rattle, i haven't done anything to fix it, i guess i'm used to it. Just upgrade your stereo and you'll find the problem is gone
LOL! (costs) more money, (causes) more problems! :p